Power Out - Help me save my Edge! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Power Out - Help me save my Edge!

I live in Beacon, NY, and watched the power go out block by block last night. Exploding transformers everywhere, just like a movie - now I have no power or heat! Speaking to Central Hudson (utilities) it looks like I'm looking at 4-5 days with a steadily cooling apartment that will probably be in the 50's (F) soon.

Here's what I've got:
  • 1 Fluval Edge 6 gal tank (1 week into cycling)
  • 2 fancy guppies
  • 3 cardinal tetras

Here are some of my resources:
  • Hot Water
  • Gas Stove

Here's what I'm doing:
  • Lowered the water level 2-3" to allow for maximum O2 diffusion.
  • Boiling water into Nalgene bottles and putting them in the tank to raise the temperature.
  • Wrapped the tank in 2 blankets.
  • Manually cycling the filter by pouring water into the left filter tank for 5/min twice a day.

I'm just a newbie at this but trying to do it right. Looking at an extended challenge here - Can anyone give any further suggestions? I really don't want to lose the tank, been looking forwards to planting and mod-ing it out!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sorry to hear. luckily you just have a 6gallon tank with 5 fish. Crazy stuff about the transformers lighting up the sky out there.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Short of going and getting a small generator it sounds like you are doing everything you can.

Good luck

We had a power outage/ice storm over a year ago that lasted 10days. I lost about 2 grand in fish and still have not recovered fully.

I know have a gas generator.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
By now, your power is back on, hopefully, so this email is probably too late. But, in case it's still on -- you should be fine. I had a power outtage that lasted much longer than that. I put hot tap water into baggies and floated them in the tank. Since your tank is quite small, be careful about putting too much hot water into the tank and insulating it; you don't want to cook your fish. You can always do a partial water change with slightly warmer water every 4 hours or so.

With only 5 fish and 6 gallons, your system won't be too stressed, though you may end up with a mini cycle afterwards if your filter is turned off for too long. I did. Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels or do some partial water changes in the week or 2 after the power failure.

Some pet stores sell battery operated air pumps (for example, by Elite) that can be used during a power failure to aerate your tank. But lowering the water in your Edge should do the trick.

Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Survival!

Power came on yesterday. Hooray! All my fish made it out OK.

A few things I learned from the experience (for all those who have power outages in the future):
  • If you have a Fluval Edge, you can manually cycle the filter by pouring water in the left compartment. This will also aerate your tank.
  • I used a nalgene bottle with hot water - the fish naturally avoided it but it boosted the water temp up to good levels.
  • I also used a thermos filled with boiling water. It provided a slower release of heat over a series of 8-9 hours. This helped the tank stay warm overnight.
  • If you have an Edge (and thus a narrow opening), lowering the water level seemed to keep the fish with plenty of air. None came gasping to the surface.

Hope this helps anyone who is in my situation in the future!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
well done glad to here you made it out of the woods with no casualties!

cheers-K

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode