Spec 3 Lighting Options - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Spec 3 Lighting Options

I am thinking of upgrading my Spec 3 Lights. While I like the look of the lights that come with the tank. I think I want to get a little brighter system to be able to grow med light plants.

It seems like LED is the thing to get these days. But one of my options is a 13w CFL by Fluval. Will the CFL run hotter, and will it be too much for my 2.6g.

Here is what I am looking at. I would love some options, and suggestions.

#1 choice right now is the Finnex FugeRay. It is 10" and from the reviews it will fit the top of the tank perfectly. It is 4W, but with LED's does the wattage make the same difference as a CFL? Price for this is $33 with free shipping. I also like that is has moonlights.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Aquarium-Moonlights-10-Inch/dp/B007URO5QG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
#2 option is the 13W Fluval. It also should fit the tank, but not too keen on having to change the bulbs out every 6 months or so. Also it is not cheap either. Will be right around $41 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Power-Compact-Lamp/dp/B004QSV8XK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1460479816&sr=1-1&keywords=Fluval+13w
#3 is also a Finnex, the Stingray clipon. It is also 4w and I think very similar to the FugeRay. I think I like the looks of the FugeRay better. At $25 it is the cheapest. But I also think the cheapest looking.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-StingRAY-Clip-Light-Aquarium/dp/B00LMH10HC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1460479902&sr=1-2&keywords=Finnex+stingray

Anyone with experience on any of the 3 models I would love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://spec-tanks.com/ has a review on the finnex clip light
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use the ikea goose neck led on my 2 specs. The light is a little yellow, but 6" from the water and I grow low-med plants.
Pretty cheap too, back when I bought them they were 10$ CDN each.

JANSJÖ LED work lamp - copper color - IKEA

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I saw your post on the bettafish specific forum, didn't link it here as its against the rules, but fluval spec III has had an upgrade and the new light is stronger, here is the thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22...epth-post.html

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I will just wait and get the new updated Spec 3 light. Hopefully they will be a replacement part sometime soon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode