DIY CO2 Bubble pre min - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Bubble pre min

I just set up a sugar and yeast CO2 setup with a glass diffuser in my 5 gallon tank. I'm getting around 5 bubbles per min. Does that sound good? This is my first time dealing with CO2. last time I checked my ph was around 7.8 and my kh was 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's a bit slow, but it will probably start to ramp up within a day or two.

How much sugar and yeast did you put into it?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i allways had trouble using ceramic glass diffusers with DIY co2.

It takes so much pressure to push air thru the ceramic disk that I had terrible leaks every where.

So if you just poked a hole and pushed the air line into a plastic bottle I bet you may have the same thing going on. I finally fixed mine by using a screw in fitting that I got at a auto parts store. 1/8" npt male to 1/8" barb was the name/style.

5 per minute does sound low but DIY starts out slow for a few days ,and ramps up over the next week or so. It hits its maximum output and stays there for a week or so and then starts ramping down. Sort of like a wave of co2.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
My DIY CO2 gets going at about 1 bubble per secound only after 5-10 mins. So I would say that 5 bubbles per min is really slow.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I put 1.5 cups of sugar and about half a tsp of yeast in a 1.5 liter ketchup bottle. It already had a hole in the lid then I glued the tubing in there. I don't have a bubble counter or a check value. I plan on getting one eventually. The co2 seems to have stopped overnight. I'm hoping it ramps up later when the lights turn on.

Just so we are on the same page the "bubbles" refers to the bubbles coming into the diffuser not the bubbles coming out right?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester206 View Post
I put 1.5 cups of sugar and about half a tsp of yeast in a 1.5 liter ketchup bottle. It already had a hole in the lid then I glued the tubing in there. I don't have a bubble counter or a check value. I plan on getting one eventually. The co2 seems to have stopped overnight. I'm hoping it ramps up later when the lights turn on.

Just so we are on the same page the "bubbles" refers to the bubbles coming into the diffuser not the bubbles coming out right?
I was just going to post the same question! I've got a DIY 2l bottle on my 5g desk tank. I'm using 2cups of white pure cane sugar and 1/2 tsp of ActiveDry Yeast. The most I've gotten over three weeks now in different batches is around 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Maye I can try adding even more yeast to the next try?

Tags
bubble, co2, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode