8g Vallisneria Nana Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
8g Vallisneria Nana Tank

Hello,

Posting a few pics of my tank in progress and hopefully I can get some recommendations as well.

Currently my tank is mainly planted with Vallisneria Nana, a few pieces of Java Fern and some Lilaeopsis novea-zealandia.
The Vallisneria is growing like crazy, but neither the Java Fern or the Lilaeopsis seem to grow at all so i'm thinking of throwing them out of the tank and replacing them with something else.

I prefereably would like some kind of carpet plant that grow well under the same conditions as the Vallisneria. I intended for the Lilaeopsis to be my carpet plant but the only thing growing is the algae on top of the Lilaeopsis.

I also have this spotty brown stuff everywhere as you can see on the bottom picture (easily spottable on the stone). It's almost like dust that you can remove really easy. Maybe if I have a better flow in my tank it will remove itself?

I have a 20watt led-bar but i'm only running it at half power due to high algae growth at maximum setting. I'm also dosing PMDD and running a CO2 system.

Feel free to shoot me some recommendations that I could try, especially carpet plants you think would work!

Quote:
Vallisneria Nana (according to the seller at least)

Quote:
The sad Lilaeopsis that refused to grow.

Once I get the plants I want and i'm able to grow them decently I will introduce some fish to the tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Micro sword aka Lilaeopsis can take nearly a month to acclimate and start taking off in a new tank. Don't give up on it! I have a lot in my husband's 12g long now, started out being a pathetic few runners worth. Its going where I don't want it too now (under stone archways to back of the tank where the stems are).
Can't say if the val is true nana, only time will tell see what width and length is in a month+ of largest vals).. kinda looks like young Italian vals to me from the photo.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Val has been in the tank for about two and a half month. Started out as two small plants and now they are everywhere!

I planted a lot of Lilaeopsis at the same time but I removed all of it after a while when it didn't grow. I decided to give this little plant a second chance, it's been in the tank for maybe three weeks now with no noticeable growth.
I'll give it some more time AquaAurora, thanks for the advice!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So... i'm an impatient man so I went to town and bought a bunch of new plants today. Rescaped the tank with a root and the new plant, I also removed a lot of the vallisneria.

I don't expect the dwarf hair grass to carpet at all but I wanted to try anyways because it's one of my favourite carpet plants.

Not sure how well the Microsorum pteropus 'WindelÝv' will do considering my regular Java Fern wasn't that happy. I hope it will do well though as I love the look of the plant.

No clue regarding the Cryptocoryne Wendtii, i'll be very happy if it grows in my tank though!

Last edited by superserial; 04-09-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: pic
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you 're impatient you're probably not going to like any Java Fern.

Like Micro Swords they take a while to accommodate to the new water parameters, they also do better if the lighting is more subdued. They would probably be better left to when your tank has established some larger shaded areas. Maybe what would work best with your present lighting is the oak leaf variety of Indian Fern or Water Sprite.

Impatience is not all that great for any planted tank attempt. Sometimes the tank will take a month or three just to become balanced enough to grow plants. You are having good luck with your Val's, work to your tank's strengths.

Crypt. Wendtii is also like Java Fern and likes shaded and subdued lighting.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Just my 2cents worth
I would skip the carpet idea, I like your tank just the way it is in the first pic, and if your vals are happy they will send out baby vals . If you can find some C. Willisii x that would be nice, otherwise just enjoy your tank. You could also get away with less light I would think
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your input guys!

I'm still a bit confused about where I want to go with this tank, as you might notice. Think i'll lower the lighting a bit and see if the Val still grows well. Maybe i'll add some moss too!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you're doing very well.
Like everyone has said patience is important in the planted tank hobby and you most probably need to try keep hands out of the tank more often then not
I think now your best chance of growing these plants out is seeing what happens and letting the tank take its course.
Good luck

Last edited by Jamo33; 04-11-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: reworded
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Jamo!

Patience, learn I must.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode