Real plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Real plants?

I told a friend of mine that I was thinking about purchasing a 6-gallon Nano Cube and trying to grow real plants. He said I would regret it. He claims growing plants is very difficult and time-consuming and that they'll leave my tank looking horrible. Is that true?

Keep in mind that although I've had aquariums before, even a Marine aquarium, I have no experience with real plants. As a newbie, should I attempt this? If so, in addition the the Nano Cube, what else do I need to purchase to ensure I don't fail?

Thanks,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Your friend is wrong in my opinion. A good number of plants are very easy to grow, Java Fern, Anubias, Java moss, Crypts, Hornwort, and many others can all thrive with some lighting and a little fertilizers. When I made the switch from plastic to live plants, I had some trouble in the begining do to lack of knowledge, but now I cant believe that that people still use fake plants! Live plants do make more of a mess, but they are 100% worth it. Just do some research before you start! Your equipment all depends of what plants you want to keep, and if you have a budget.
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Jake. Unfortunately, I tend to over research things and usually end up with information overload. That's kinda where I am now. For a 6-gallon tank should I be using a C02 system or will Flourish Excel be enough?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Like Jake said, RESEARCH! I wish i would have researched more before i decided to buy random plants at the store lol, things started off rocky, but now i cant believe i wasted money on all those stupid plastic and silk plants. More then half the fun of my aquariums now are watching/waiting for my plants to grow. It is a very rewarding hobby!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
Thanks Jake. Unfortunately, I tend to over research things and usually end up with information overload. That's kinda where I am now. For a 6-gallon tank should I be using a C02 system or will Flourish Excel be enough?
It all depends on what type of lighing you have. If you have alot of lighting, you'll need CO2. What type of tank do you have\you are useing?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm getting ready to purchase a 6-gallon Nano Cube. http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-6g-nano.html
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You shouldn't need Co2. With the lighing included with the tank, I think you should be able to grow most low-light plants. Try looking in the "low tech forum" where there is a great sticky containing a list of low light plants.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nice. Thanks Jake. I think I'll stay the course with real plants. What should I purchase to help establish the biological filter?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Over researching things is not a bad things. Especially in this arena. There is SOOOO much information out there, that there is no reason why it would be very hard to keep these aquariums.

There will be some bumps and bruises along the way. But as others have said, it is well worth it. My tank being a low light tank requires very little work involved, and there really is no mess except for my lotus plant which likes to shed leaves every once in a while.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you dont plan on adding any fauna right awayk, nothing! You could also seed the tank by useing some established filter media. Just so you know, you can add plants right away even before a tank has cycled.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Nice. Thanks Jake. I think I'll stay the course with real plants. What should I purchase to help establish the biological filter?
The plants will help out a great deal with establishing the tank. If your plants are purchased submerged, they should have bacteria already on the leaves. All you need to do is keep the bacteria alive by adding a bit of food here and there to break down to keep the filter established. The plants themselves will also help with keeping the bad stuffs away IE ammonia, nitrites which plants to use for their own growth.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
OMG... your hommie should be drawn and quartered for severe stupidity. The remarks and conversations my planted 75G draws is almost invaluable.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How about the substrate. People who are growing plants seem to like this stuff. The only problem is with a 6-gallon tank, I'd have enough to last me a lifetime.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=9087
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flourite is a good choice, along with Eco Complete. Or if you want something cheaper, pool filter sand and some soil works well.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode