3 G tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3 G tank

This is my new 3g tank with contro soil, java Moss, java fern, dwarf sag and Bacopa australis. Using led lamps (don't know watts) and flourish excel (for carbon). The Bacopa grew rapidly but has now started showing signs of mineral def. Used flourish with my water change(15%). The other plants r static (over a period of ten days). Yet to start dosing potassium and iron as they r on their way from amazon. I have placed 8 serpae tettra. So that's it. Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160401_182725_1459833488201.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	615537  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

3 G tank

I think the Serpaes grow too big for 3 gallons if I'm not mistaken.
You will probably also need nitrate and phosphate fertilisers down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok.. regarding the serpae, I will probably have to go for a larger tank soon. Regarding Nitrates and phosphates.. I thought the fish feces and food left overs (i understand that it wud be minimal) would cover the nitrate with a weekly boost from Flourish(seachem). do we need to dose phosphate too.. thought it was not good for the plants. i am sorry.. i am, as i mentioned, still a rookie. and am bit worried abt overdosing nitrate and PO4 as its a small tank. Will appreciate any feedback. thanks for your reply.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Flourish is micro nutrients. You still need to dose macros. I have still yet to find a fish that has a recommended minimum tank size of under 5 gallons. I would make this a shrimp only tank.

This isn't rocket surgery
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

3 G tank

No worries. Alternatively you could go completely low-tech and do little to no-dosing and not worry about all of that; you won't even have to use your Liquid CO2 and you can get great results. Your tanks pretty is already on the low-tech side anyway so if you full no-dosing low-tech it should be pretty alright.
Regarding fertilisers there macros which is NPK (nitrates, phosphate and potassium) and then micros which are things like iron etc. Plants need both but the macros in higher proportions basically. The amount of nutrients, and therefore fertilisers that are needed are dictated by light intensity and CO2 input, as those 2 are the main driving factors of plant growth. That's why I suggest you go for a full low-tech tank method, as it seems more up your alley and especially for such a small tank. Also all the plants you have will be fine in the no-dosing low-tech. In regards on how to do a low-tech successfully, there are tonnes of great guides on how to do one, Tom Barr's got some good stuff on it.
Another thing you should try and make your Java Moss thinner and less clumpy, sometimes it's struggles in those big clumps. Sorry for the information and verbal vomit hahaha. Happy tanking! Also feel free to ask questions and stuff if you are unsure about something.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
No worries. Alternatively you could go completely low-tech and do little to no-dosing and not worry about all of that; you won't even have to use your Liquid CO2 and you can get great results. Your tanks pretty is already on the low-tech side anyway so if you full no-dosing low-tech it should be pretty alright.
Regarding fertilisers there macros which is NPK (nitrates, phosphate and potassium) and then micros which are things like iron etc. Plants need both but the macros in higher proportions basically. The amount of nutrients, and therefore fertilisers that are needed are dictated by light intensity and CO2 input, as those 2 are the main driving factors of plant growth. That's why I suggest you go for a full low-tech tank method, as it seems more up your alley and especially for such a small tank. Also all the plants you have will be fine in the no-dosing low-tech. In regards on how to do a low-tech successfully, there are tonnes of great guides on how to do one, Tom Barr's got some good stuff on it.
Another thing you should try and make your Java Moss thinner and less clumpy, sometimes it's struggles in those big clumps. Sorry for the information and verbal vomit hahaha. Happy tanking! Also feel free to ask questions and stuff if you are unsure about something.

Thanks for the excellent reply. I will check out the completely low tech approach. Didn't know u can actually let go of these additional nutrients altogether. Actually I started doing this in the hope that if I can sustain and produce a good planted tank I will someday go for a larger tank. Don't wanna straight away go for a large tank even though it's supposed to be easier in terms of maintenance ,due to various reasons most of which are financial. But I am so glad that forums like this exist where people like u take so much pain to reply in such detail. Thanks a ton. I will post more pictures as the tank develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
Flourish is micro nutrients. You still need to dose macros. I have still yet to find a fish that has a recommended minimum tank size of under 5 gallons. I would make this a shrimp only tank.
Yeah.. I know it's a very small tank. Bought it without doing research. But not inclined towards shrimp. Thanks for the tip. Started my first dose of npk today. Let's c.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
Look into the Chili rasbora or scarlet badis. They would fit the tank better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

No worries, to be honest I started with a smaller tank as well as you can get familiar with everything before really splurging. Cus when you gain experience then you can move on to much larger projects. And eventhough it is 'easier' to mess up with a small body of water, if you go super low-tech it's pretty hard to mess up. By the way I forgot to mention with the super low-tech some people advocate for not changing your water often (like once a month or even less), cus it varies CO2 dissolving which can cause BBA. But that's again up to you if you want to do that or water change more often. Really it's best to play it by ear and see if anything is wrong with the tank.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Checked out rasbora and scarlet badis. But as of now the serpae look solid.
Update on tank.. the Bacopa almost died on me with most of the old leaves turning pale and melting away. The new branches seemed healthy. Dwarf sag also started showing yellowing from the tips. So I started dosing npk on a daily basis together with iron and flourish as well as excel. Just realised u shudnt combine iron and macros or flourish together. Will try and modify and post pics soon. Thanks again for all ur help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode