Nano Tank Info - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Tank Info

Hey everyone, I am going to get a Dario dario for my 2.7g tank tomorrow, would this get along with 2-3 Danio margaritatus. Maybe 1 male and 2-3 females?.. Thanks guys

-Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
2.7 gallons is too small for fish. Look up minimum recommended tank size on the livestock you wish to keep before building a tank. This mindset is backwards of what we should be doing. We are building life support systems for livestock. So we need to figure out what we want to keep, and build a tank around those parameters. Instead, we build a tank and think "ok, now what can I put in it?" This seems to happen more often with nano tanks. I guess the all-in-one setups make it that much easier. I have yet to find a fish that has a recommended tank size under 5 gallons.

This isn't rocket surgery
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Actually, 2.7 is only too small for many common fish. The danios you mention are fine. I think adding 3 or 4 Dario dario may be pushing it but it really depends on your set up, filtration and maintenance routine.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
absolutely not. Dario Dario are territorial fish, and 2.7 is WAY too small for them.

it's too small for the CPDs as well, they will not reach their potential in such a tiny setup....they need room to explore and are quite active when kept properly

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

How about a nice male or female Betta?

My planted 2.6g Spec 3 and my Betta Thunder

Click image for larger version

Name:	4416.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	615753

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	615761
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The minimum recommended tank size for a beta is 5 gallons. Research fish before you put them in your tanks. If there is a fish that has a smaller minimum tank size than 5 gallons, I have not found it yet.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:04 AM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
I would do 1 dario dario in there.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
The minimum recommended tank size for a beta is 5 gallons. Research fish before you put them in your tanks. If there is a fish that has a smaller minimum tank size than 5 gallons, I have not found it yet.
Actually I disagree. The minimum size tank for a Betta is 2.5 from everything I have read.
Tihsho and Tihsho like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Most killifish keepers myself included have kept killies in 2.5 gallon tanks forever. To say there are no fish that can be kept in a tank smaller than 5 gallons is just ignorant.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
RWaters, RWaters, Tino and 7 others like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Planted Member

I agree that while 5 is better, bettas can be comfortably kept in 2.5 gallons as long as it is well filtered and heated properly. (I'd argue that it should be wider than taller for at least the heavy-finned boys though)

What about Boraras Micro for this? Could possibly do 10 of them, they're super tiny. Although they are active so a wider rather than taller tank would be best...

Otherwise I'd go with a single solitary fish, like a betta or as someone suggested 1 Dario Dario.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

Killi fish? Very interesting, beautiful and not aggressive like bettas... Ideal for small tanks... In nature they sometimes live in even smaller space then your tank...

Sent from mTalk
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Algae Grower

One of mine killies :

Video example of their habitat.

Sent from mTalk
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I guess some people just don't look hard enough or have enough experience.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Most killifish keepers myself included have kept killies in 2.5 gallon tanks forever. To say there are no fish that can be kept in a tank smaller than 5 gallons is just ignorant.

I never said that there wasn't a fish that can be kept in a smaller tank size. I said that I haven't found one that has a smaller recommended minimum tank size yet. So please read all of the words left to right, top to bottom before calling people or their statements ignorant.

Someone mentioned keeping a betta in a 2.5 gallon as long as there is plenty of filtration. Ummm doesn't that go against the fact that you need to keep your flow low for a betta? So I believe this is the reason that bettalove.com recommends keeping them in at least a 5 gallon tank. I strongly agree with the philosophy. You can toss a beta in a vase, get it to stay alive for 3 years, come back and throw it in my face. I just don't believe that those are very happy fish though. I equate that to having a dog outside on a ten foot chain 24/7 for it's entire life. Sure a dog can survive, but I believe that's cruel. That's my opinion. I am still allowed to have those without being ridiculed aren't I?

Seriouslyfishy recommends keeping killifish in a minimum tank with a base of 45x30cm. I do believe that's about the base of a 10 gallon tank at least it is with my Penn Plax). I suppose if you have a short tub or custom tank, then that would work out great. I am thinking more along off the shelf products for newcomers with standard nano tanks though.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
I never said that there wasn't a fish that can be kept in a smaller tank size. I said that I haven't found one that has a smaller recommended minimum tank size yet. So please read all of the words left to right, top to bottom before calling people or their statements ignorant.

Someone mentioned keeping a betta in a 2.5 gallon as long as there is plenty of filtration. Ummm doesn't that go against the fact that you need to keep your flow low for a betta? So I believe this is the reason that bettalove.com recommends keeping them in at least a 5 gallon tank. I strongly agree with the philosophy. You can toss a beta in a vase, get it to stay alive for 3 years, come back and throw it in my face. I just don't believe that those are very happy fish though. I equate that to having a dog outside on a ten foot chain 24/7 for it's entire life. Sure a dog can survive, but I believe that's cruel. That's my opinion. I am still allowed to have those without being ridiculed aren't I?

Seriouslyfishy recommends keeping killifish in a minimum tank with a base of 45x30cm. I do believe that's about the base of a 10 gallon tank at least it is with my Penn Plax). I suppose if you have a short tub or custom tank, then that would work out great. I am thinking more along off the shelf products for newcomers with standard nano tanks though.
I did not mean to offend. Ignorant just means someone does not know through lack of research or experience. I tend to be short and direct because I hate to type on tiny phone keyboards. We're all ignorant about many things. That's why we ask questions here.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode