New Nano Stock Advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By loach guy
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 645
New Nano Stock Advice

Hey everyone!

So I am starting up a new 10 gallon nano tank, and I need to learn on the wealth of your collective experience. It will have crypts, anubias, and Vals with some amazon frogbit as a floater in medium light, dosing ferts and excel. My tap water comes out at around 7.1. I am in the process of getting some ADA aquasoil amazonia to lower the PH a little. The plan is to put down some egg crate, fill it with the ADA, then cap it with fine smooth gravel. I am not sure where I will end up yet, but 6.5 is my target PH. Lighting is 3 clip on lights. Filtration is an AC 20 with sponge prefilters. I will be adding inert rock and driftwood. 74 degrees F is my target temperature using a preset heater and a temperature controller.

So now that you know the specs of the tank, I am wanting to house CPD, Scarlet Badis,clown killifish, shrimp culls, Japanese trapdoor snails (since they're already in there...lol). I have no experience with any of the fish. I have been doing most of my research on the scarlet badis. It seems as though the killies and the scarlet Badis will be excellent tank mates. I am concerned with the CPD however. I have been reading and hearing mixed reviews on this combination. Some say that the CPD are too hyper for these fish, while others say that there aren't any issues. So I am asking you fine folks that have experience with these fish your opinion on the tank setup, and on the stock. Any input is very much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking you time to help me out. You RAWK planted tank!
loach guy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Crazygar's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belle River ON
Posts: 311
Quote:
I am wanting to house CPD, Scarlet Badis,clown killifish, shrimp culls, Japanese trapdoor snails
I can already see some problems here.

Scarlet Badis are best left for "species only" tanks as other tank mates, especially the CPD's will spook them into hiding, and eventual not feeding.

Also they have specialized dietary needs unless you are getting from a local source. Wild specimens are stubborn and need to be fed small meaty foods and slowly weaned onto Flake.

Clown Killifish, best kept also as species only, and with a small group of 8 or more. Having just one or two would not be good.

CPD's would be good, get a large group for the best behaviour and coloration.

Gary


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crazygar is online now  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Veritas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
Hey everyone!

So I am starting up a new 10 gallon nano tank, and I need to learn on the wealth of your collective experience. It will have crypts, anubias, and Vals with some amazon frogbit as a floater in medium light, dosing ferts and excel. My tap water comes out at around 7.1. I am in the process of getting some ADA aquasoil amazonia to lower the PH a little. The plan is to put down some egg crate, fill it with the ADA, then cap it with fine smooth gravel. I am not sure where I will end up yet, but 6.5 is my target PH. Lighting is 3 clip on lights. Filtration is an AC 20 with sponge prefilters. I will be adding inert rock and driftwood. 74 degrees F is my target temperature using a preset heater and a temperature controller.

So now that you know the specs of the tank, I am wanting to house CPD, Scarlet Badis,clown killifish, shrimp culls, Japanese trapdoor snails (since they're already in there...lol). I have no experience with any of the fish. I have been doing most of my research on the scarlet badis. It seems as though the killies and the scarlet Badis will be excellent tank mates. I am concerned with the CPD however. I have been reading and hearing mixed reviews on this combination. Some say that the CPD are too hyper for these fish, while others say that there aren't any issues. So I am asking you fine folks that have experience with these fish your opinion on the tank setup, and on the stock. Any input is very much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking you time to help me out. You RAWK planted tank!

I would leave out the Killies if you want CPDs or Scaret Badis. They are known to be aggressive and will spook the CPDs.

I respectfuly disagree with the above post. I keep CPDs with Scarlet Badis - and they get along great. The Scarlet Badis tend to stake out their own 10 x 5 section of territory and stick to it. I would not recommend more than 2 in a 10g, and be sure to provide breaks in the line of sight for the Scarlet Badis. Temp wise - I would aim for around 75-76.

be sure to get good stock with the Badis. They will need to be trained to feed frozen Brine Shrimp or Bloodworms (easy on the bloodworms though, they will get obese if given too many)

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veritas is offline  
 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I would leave out the Killies if you want CPDs or Scaret Badis. They are known to be aggressive and will spook the CPDs.

I respectfuly disagree with the above post. I keep CPDs with Scarlet Badis - and they get along great. The Scarlet Badis tend to stake out their own 10 x 5 section of territory and stick to it. I would not recommend more than 2 in a 10g, and be sure to provide breaks in the line of sight for the Scarlet Badis. Temp wise - I would aim for around 75-76.

be sure to get good stock with the Badis. They will need to be trained to feed frozen Brine Shrimp or Bloodworms (easy on the bloodworms though, they will get obese if given too many)
Thanks for the input you two!

I have see a lot of debate whether CPD's can be housed with Scarlet Badis or not. I kind of expected it to show up in this thread. I talked to my LFS guy who specializes in planted nano tanks. He said that he has kept SB, CPD's and Clown Killies successfully.

I do plan on keeping only 2 Scarlet Badis. I am shooting for a male and a female, but as I understand these fish are extremely hard to sex. So the worst case is that I end up with 2 males that have enough room and hiding places as to not bother each other too much. My LFS feeds their Scarlet Badis frozen baby brine and frozen daphnia. I planned on throwing in some golden pearls to the dietary mix and see how that goes.

I am surprised to see anyone say that clown killies are known to be aggressive. All of the info that I have read reports how peaceful these fish are towards other species. I do have a concern about feeding the clown killies though. Will they readily accept the foods that I mentioned, or do they require live food?

I do understand that Scarlet Badis and Clown Killies do best in species only tanks. I am not trying to breed anything. I am just trying to have a "relaxing" planted tank on my nightstand.
Veritas and Veritas like this.

This isn't rocket surgery
loach guy is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome