Ramos' ADA Mini-L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Ramos' ADA Mini-L

Had to complete the Mini setup. My brother got this tank, bought it from him, should be here sometime within the month whenever he sends it. Right now I'm trying to decide what I should use with this.
For a filter, I'm thinking the 2215 2213, I'm a big fan of the Eheim Classic series, and I'm guessing that should be a good size for this tank. The trouble I'm having is finding a good light for the tank. I know that Current makes a good light that I could toss the ADA 36W bulb in, I just have to find that one. I'll split my Co2 system to this tank from my Mini-M, so that's no issue.
Going to use Aquasoil, no doubt. I want to do stems in this tank as my other tanks are too small for it.
As far as fauna, I'd like to do possibly a pair of gold rams, but they might be too big for this size tank. I'd have to go with rocks for a hardscape as I'm not too great with getting driftwood to work with any scape I do.
That's really it so far, if you have any suggestions for better equipment please let me know!

Things to Buy:
ADA Mini-L: Check ($60, shipped)
Archaea 36W: $90 (Free Shipping)
Eheim 2213: $85 (Cost + Shipping)
9L ADA Aquasoil: $28 (Locally)
Lilly Pipes: $10-100 (Depending which I do)
Stand: TBD
Total Projected Cost: $273-363 (Not horrible...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by rrrrramos; 02-25-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm also going to order a Mini-L, are you going to use lily pipes? If so what size?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

More than likely I will, but I might see about making my own. I got the pipes for my Mini-M in a deal in the SnS, I'm hard pressed to spend retail for some haha.
Was also pointed to a light by !shadow!, an Archaea 36W 18" fixture, just like the more common 27W one on a lot of Mini-M's around here but bigger. I think it comes with an 8000K bulb (what I want) but if not I'll get the ADA bulb for it.

|

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

EDIT: Ugh. After looking at the pictures on the site I found the light, it looks like it's a straight-pin fixture, and the ADA 8000K is a square-pin bulb. Hopefully the Archaea fixture comes with the 8000K bulb!

There is the light I am going to get for this tank. It's 18.75" long so it's just a LITTLE bit wider than the tank. I didn't ask yet, but the tank should be on it's way already, if not it'll be later this week. I'm going to try my best not to start it up until I move out since I might have it up for only 3 months in that case. But I've said that about every tank, and not listened to myself each time. I'll have to see the size this tank actually is once I get it, but I'm wanting to do stems in here, since my other two tanks are too small to have stems in without constant maintenance.

|

Last edited by rrrrramos; 02-24-2010 at 06:20 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
nice job on the lights l was going to get them but i didn't end the end due to the price. i instead got 27w hampton bay at home depot for 20$ comes with a 6500k bulb. lf i was not on a budget i would of gotten the archaea's :P. let me know how it turns out man i'm really interested about the plant growth on that fixture. One more thing, on that second picture is that the archaea lights or another brand you decided to go with? gl with the tank man.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That picture was not of my setup, it is of the previous owners, as I had stated above it. I don't have anything for the tank, and the actual tank hasn't even been sent out yet.

|

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
More than likely I will, but I might see about making my own. I got the pipes for my Mini-M in a deal in the SnS, I'm hard pressed to spend retail for some haha.
Was also pointed to a light by !shadow!, an Archaea 36W 18" fixture, just like the more common 27W one on a lot of Mini-M's around here but bigger. I think it comes with an 8000K bulb (what I want) but if not I'll get the ADA bulb for it.

I have the Archaea 36watt and its great! Mines came with a 10k bulb. At first i wasn't sure about the 10k but now I like it better than my 6.7k which seems a bit too yellow. My plants aren't complaining either, since I got the 10k they have been taking off
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Where's the tank?

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'd assume either in IL or in one of the states between there and Texas

|

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankaddict View Post
I have the Archaea 36watt and its great! Mines came with a 10k bulb. At first i wasn't sure about the 10k but now I like it better than my 6.7k which seems a bit too yellow. My plants aren't complaining either, since I got the 10k they have been taking off
10k? Good to know, I was hoping they'd come with the 8000K but I suppose 10k will work. Is the bulb a straight-pin or a square-pin?

|

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
hey, where are you buying your archaea light? I cant find it online.

Eheim 2217 #346

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

http://shop.aquatouch.com/ProductDet...Show=TechSpecs

sorry for the hi-jack by the way and i'm not sure about the pin design l would hope it would be square but i'd double check. lt doesn't seem to specify on the link.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
10k? Good to know, I was hoping they'd come with the 8000K but I suppose 10k will work. Is the bulb a straight-pin or a square-pin?
The bulb is straight pin.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
http://shop.aquatouch.com/ProductDet...Show=TechSpecs

sorry for the hi-jack by the way and i'm not sure about the pin design l would hope it would be square but i'd double check. lt doesn't seem to specify on the link.
Wow its $96 now? used to be $89. I got my LFS to order it in for me. I even asked to have it for $85^^ See if you can get your lfs to get it in maybe it'll be cheaper.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

l think i was looking at the other archaea because l believe there is two versions the 27w and the 36 l haven't really payed attention.

----gauny----

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode