Lighting....Dwarf Hairgrass....ferts.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting....Dwarf Hairgrass....ferts....

Couple of questions....

I have a 6g Fluval Edge that I have recently moved everything out of into a 10g to get a fresh start. I am going to be using two 10w walmart aquarium bulbs for lighting totaling 20w. With everything hooked up right now I should get a nice even spread of light. I plan on growing hairgrass and hm as my carpeted portion of the tank. I'm using flourite for my substrate and will be using a DIY co2 'til I get a pressurized set up going.

Questions:

Will this be enough lighting for Hairgrass and HM?

What do you recommend for ferts? I was thinking pferts or the seachem line. Will I need the full line or just the basics?

Any help is appreciated since I have been doing low tech stuff. Thanks!!

p.s. I'll start my journal this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 PM
sandie

I have dhg growing in my 10 gallon with the same lighting. I am doing the Excel method for carbon and the EI ferts that go with it. I grew the grass emmersed and flooded the tank a little over 2 weeks ago. Everything is going great. Good Luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm running slightly higher lighting (2 x 13W PL type bulbs) on an Edge and the DHG which I have running along the bank wall is filling out fine.

I also have HC (not HM) but am having a tougher time with that. Its growing but is showing signs that it wants to grow "up" near the left side of the tank. Its just tough to get light out there regardless of the wattage you run because the hood only covers the middle 40% of the tank and is not centered front-to-back.

One thing to consider might be to pattern your planting around the uneven light distribution of the tank design -- run some low light plants like anubias petite along the left / right sides of the tank in the front, with a valley of HM or HC in the middle.

Regardless, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. IIRC, you pioneered the LED bulbs that most people use today and your original tank probably convinced many (me included) to try a planted Edge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- lunar lights

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is what I ended up doing for lighting... it's good :-)

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1005389

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode