Which Leds to use? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By GrampsGrunge
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Which Leds to use?

I am planning on doing a HC carpet and wanted to know if 2 10 watt LED flood lights would be enough light in a 21 x 10 x 10 tank? or should I be leaning towards building a custom light with Cree 1 watt leds?
Rouke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower
 
manfjourde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouke View Post
I am planning on doing a HC carpet and wanted to know if 2 10 watt LED flood lights would be enough light in a 21 x 10 x 10 tank? or should I be leaning towards building a custom light with Cree 1 watt leds?
I'm a noob so not sure how valid my advice is but that is a lot of wattage - are you planning co2? If so then I would say it would carpet nicely.
manfjourde is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,473
You have to ask yourself do you know enough about scratch-building electronic projects with semiconductors?

I've built electronic speed controls for electric R/C model aircraft, yet I'm not too keen on building a light system out of parts, when I could easily make a pendant LED flood light system from readily available home improvement bits, that are pretty much going to work when plugged in.

Your call of course.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower
 
manfjourde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
You have to ask yourself do you know enough about scratch-building electronic projects with semiconductors?

I've built electronic speed controls for electric R/C model aircraft, yet I'm not too keen on building a light system out of parts, when I could easily make a pendant LED flood light system from readily available home improvement bits, that are pretty much going to work when plugged in.

Your call of course.
I would say the same thing about ESCs - plenty of good ones for purchasing.
manfjourde is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfjourde View Post
I would say the same thing about ESCs - plenty of good ones for purchasing.
In my case I built a special ESC that I could adjust the cut-off voltage for smaller cell packs for light slope lift with a electric glider, back in the dark old NiCad/NimH cell days.
manfjourde and manfjourde like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
manfjourde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
In my case I built a special ESC that I could adjust the cut-off voltage for smaller cell packs for light slope lift with a electric glider, back in the dark old NiCad/NimH cell days.
Oh those were the days! Ha, I don't miss them at all - the new cells are so much better.
manfjourde is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome