Nano kit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nano kit

Am getting ready to start up a 6g nano. Thought I'd ask some experts about a couple of things.

I haven't yet decided on substrate, though I'm leaning towards AS2 Powder (powder for scale in the 10x10 tank).

Haven't decided how to heat it, or filter it yet. Pretty fundamental decisions.

I have a Hagen Mini elite filter that I could use, but the filter area seems very small, even for 6g. I'd like to do an external filter, but I admit that leaky fittings concern me some as this will be in the corner of a custom bookshelf and water and wood...you know.

Haven't decided on CO2 or Excel yet either. Will have a HC carpet, so leaning towards pressurized CO2, but am interested to hear your experiences with Excel.

Thanks as always for the input.

AB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Hmmm in my experience excel seems to get the job done pretty well depending on your plant assortment. HC tends to favor pressurized co2 though there are some here on this forum who get great results without it albeit abit slower growth. A far as filtration goes, have you looked into a zoomed 501 canister filter? They ime are great for tanks of that size.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Stick with the Aquasoil, but go with the normal type. It's easier to plant in and is heavier so your carpet won't float away! Haha.
As far as filter and heating, you've got a few options. As stated a ZooMed 501 will work, but if you want to be uber-safe go with an Eheim 2211 or 2213. The Mini Elite is wayy too underpowered to work as a filter in a tank this size but if you can hide it well it makes a great method of Co2 diffusion. As far as a heater goes, if you go with the Eheim, you can pair it with a Hydor ETH 200 and run it inline. You can also run one of these on it and hide it in the background.
I've had success growing HC in many different types of situations, the main thing is getting it rooted. I dry started a 2.5g with HC as the carpet and filled it after two weeks. It kept growing healthy long after my DIY Co2 ran out and I never dosed the tank with Excel. But I'm also a proponent of running pressurized if it's within your budget, so if you can and are willing to go that route it's the best one you can take.
Hope this helps ya out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Don't waste your money overfiltering with a canister... The Aquaclear 20 is awesome and you can hide a Stealth Heater in it. Regular AS makes planting much easier.

Ramos'es plan is overdoing it and is simply using more watts.

I've never grown beautiful HC without Co2. Co2 will help in growth and reduce algae, so the only downside is the amount of money it takes to fund it.

HC will grow without Co2, but algae make wreak havoc.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the input. I thought an Aquaclear ot any HOB would create challenges with CO2, so I was leaning towards an internal, or canister.

Is it not tru in your experience that an HOB degases too much CO2? I plan on pressurized CO2.

Anyone have experience with this? If so, have you tried lily pipes with it?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=16742

Thanks again for the info.

Fluval G6
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you'll get very differing reviews on that canister.

Some people rave it's the best thing ever.
Some people say it's noisy garbage that leaks and doesn't filter well.

It has been used with lily pipes, and I'm sure you could find a few examples of it if you search around.
If I were doing a new nano about your size, I'd definately try the Tom's canister, remove the valve and replace the tubing and go with lily pipes.
that's just my opinion though, you might want to search out some reviews yourself.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
*chimes in to swear by aquaclear* ... define challenges...

I just really like that you can plug your CO2 directly into the filter, long with a heater or whatever else you want to hide.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryony View Post
*chimes in to swear by aquaclear* ... define challenges...

I just really like that you can plug your CO2 directly into the filter, long with a heater or whatever else you want to hide.
Not to threadjack but how do you run your co2 directly into an aquaclear hob?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You place your line of your Co2 into the intake of the Aquaclear.

For the Rapids Mini Canister Filter, I would not use it versus an Aquaclear 20. You will not lose much Co2 from the surface agitation as you think. Since you are going pressurized, I would do 1 BPS and your plants should be fine. The Rapids Mini Canister Filter has many problems and you need to have a lot of DIY experience if you want to make it run efficiently. However, Rapids Mini Canister Filter is an overall good filter.

Justin
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
It's really aesthetics. I agree with RcScRs about the loss of co2 with the HOB. It's not really an issue especially on a nano with pressurized. It's very easy to achieve good co2that way. I actually have a aquaclear 20 on a 10g with pressurized and my drop checker is alway yellow by mid-day. I personally like the Whisper. The Whisper has a very low return and it's well below most water lines. I have a Whisper ex20 on another tank and get very good co2 levels without a problem. Not sure how big the footprint is on the smaller Whisper compared to the Aquaclear.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I admit to being a bit if a canister bigot, but this tank will be in a bookshelf and an HOB will be easier to work with. Great ideas.

I like the idea of putting the heater inside and even using for CO2 distribution. Can anyone share more info or a picture on that.

Thanks

Fluval G6
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
I admit to being a bit if a canister bigot, but this tank will be in a bookshelf and an HOB will be easier to work with. Great ideas.

I like the idea of putting the heater inside and even using for CO2 distribution. Can anyone share more info or a picture on that.

Thanks

That's how I have mine set up for a 3g. It works wonderfully in nano tanks, I'm just running DIY Co2 and the tank looks like it's filled with 7-Up haha. I've never ran a heater IN a HOB, but ran one in the filter area of a Nanocube I used to have. That worked well, didn't notice a difference other than it being out of sight.

|

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Doesn't get any simpler than that. Thaks rrrrramos

Fluval G6
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I like the idea of hiding a heater in the Aquaclear 20. What heater fits and how do you "hide" it and get the cord out of the Aquaclear lid?

Fluval G6
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
I like the idea of hiding a heater in the Aquaclear 20. What heater fits and how do you "hide" it and get the cord out of the Aquaclear lid?
This is what I'm using in my Fluval Edge. Fits perfectly in the filer

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Mini-Hea.../dp/B0006JLPFE

Fluval Edge Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode