Stocking 5 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Stocking 5 gal

Here's a 5 gallon long tank I've been playing with for a while. A few months anyway. It's a bit over-stocked on fish right now, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do to improve the stocking for better aesthetic value.

pic:

http://images.yorkphoto.com/33%3B837...3B784%3Bot1lsi

Here's the list:
1 Gold Balloon Ram
1 Honey Gourami
2 Sterbai Cories
5 Ember Tetra
2 Emperor Tetra
2 Sparkling Gourami
2 SAE (Juevenile 2 in., these guys are actually moving out in 3 days to a bigger tank. I'm swapping them out for a pair of ottos)

Comments:

I'm very hesitant to move the gold balloon ram. He was living in bigger tanks before, but never seems to adjust well . . . he always got beat out for food by more active fish, and never found the territoties to his liking. He's thriven so far in the 5 gal, it's the only tank I ever got to see his brighter colors. Plus, Balloon rams are the smallest rams, right?

The honey gourami has been in this tank for a while, but I'm willing to move him if necessary to a bigger tank.

Sterbais are a favorite, they've been in this tank for a few months and seem to be doing ok. If anyone wants to suggest adding another cory, I have trilineatus and julii I could add, but no other sterbais.

I'm using ember tetras as my dither fish, and I'm sticking with that choice. I really like the buggers, and think they're perfect for the 5 gal because of their tiny size. I have 4 others in another tank, so if anyone thinks I should have MORE of these guys, it's possible; plus the shop has plenty right now.

I've been keeping the emperors as specimen fish really. I love their coloration, and the male's fins. I have a pair, but the female hasn't shown any interest in breeding so far.

Sparkling gouramis also are a specimen thing. They have great color and are very small. I actually own 8 of these blighters total, so if anyone wants to suggest swapping more in, that's possible.

SAE-- temporary residents.

Also for the actual aquascape, there's actually nothing planted behind the R. indica. Do you guys think I should add something back there? Another R. sp. or maybe a ludwigia?

Anyone would want to replace the green cabomba on the left side with something else?

In the foreground I have riccia and glosso being grown right now if anyone is wondering what that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
You want to improve the stocking of your 5G for aesthetic purposes? How about improving the stocking for the health of the fish?

Man, that aquarium is one of the most overstocked I have seen in a while. A 5g is too small for a pair of Sparkling gouramis (especially if they are two territorial males), and most likely the Honey gourami alone. The Sterbais will out grow it, so forget adding another species. Ember tetras are great fish, but I don't really think you need dither fish in a 5G. There is too much happening here! I am glad you are pulling out the SAEs. They can get to 6", and would tear up all of you plants just turning around in your aquarium.

Here is my suggestion. Leave the Ram if he is so adjusted, and leave the little ember tetras. Add an Oto, and thats it. That should make things look more pleasing, stress the fish out much less, and provide a healthier home for its residents!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Totally agree with Momo there. You're really pushing the issue here with all those fish in such small quarters. I've done 6 subadult Apistos before (A. maciliensis mamore) in a 5 and even then it was for a very short duration due to the fact that I believe the tank was too small even for raising them. FYI, these guys are smaller than your ram. Your ram isn't the smallest, but rather the most mutated, since it isn't natural (just think of goldfish where the fancy strains have been altered to look totally different from their wild lines).

Any of those fish would be much happier in a larger tank, but you can also have some of those in the current tank, by thinnning out the numbers. You could do fine with the pack of embers by themselves and adding an oto (only if there's enough algae to support him, otherwise, you're gonna have to supplement his diet). Or a pair of sparkling gouramis by themselves.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know it's way over-stocked. I've just not been sure what should stay and go. Be assured that I have larger matured tanks with the same water conditions, and most of the fish are moving. Thanks for the suggestions.

So, it'll look like this in the end:

Gold Ram
Ember Tetra x5?
Otocinclus x1? (aren't ottos best in at least pairs?)

Anyway, that's all folks. If you were confused, the word "add" used above actually meant "swap" since most of the fish, I think especially the gourami and the cories are about to be moved anyway.

Sorry for the shock value. Most of the fish haven't been in this tank long, and I've been using it to adjust fish which are eventually going to a newly cycled 20 gal; because this tank has denser vegatation for them to relieve stress in. I was just trying to figure out what stays.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
ottos are best in pairs... But be carefull, 2 ottos is way to much for a 5 gallon tank, IMHO 1 otto is too much. (Watch out some people on this board think that ottos in anything smaller than a 30 is cruel) I sugest using cherry red shrimp 2-3x for algae... and maybe 2 or 3 tetras... that would be about it!

-------------------------------------

information.
-------------------------------------
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:47 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Glad to see you are on the ball, Greenmiddlefinger! You definitely cleared things up when you amended the word "add" with the word "swap"!

We hear a lot of crazy things here at Planted Tank....

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I sugest using cherry red shrimp 2-3x for algae...
I live in Hawaii, and that has a pretty significant effect on how tropical fish are raised here . . .

Pros:
-Location near the equator along with being tiny islands surrounded by vast sea makes the weather tropical all year around. The water as well as the air rarely get cooler than 70 or hotter than 80.

-Because we mine water from wells full of water that has spent centuries passing through lava rock, dead corals, and other stones. The result is that the water becomes purified and extremely clean and "naturally filtrated" by the time we tap it. Basically, we don't add chlorine or other harmful chemicals to our water, which is famous for its purity.

-Because of Hawaii's unique ecology, there are several unique species of aquatic life. The variety of marine fish and shrimp in our aquarium hobby is broader than most, and even the fresh-water tanks are forunate as keeping native species of fresh-water shrimp and goby is possible.

Cons:
-Because of Hawaii's unique ecology, we have strict laws restraining the introduction of new species which may compete with less aggressive native species, and eventually cause huge declines in population or even extinction for native organisms. Our native fresh-water shrimp are also very unique, and considered something to be fiercely defended by state laws.

Bottom line: We are VERY LIMITED on what freshwater shrimp species we can import. I'm pretty sure that both Amano, and Cherry shrimp are on the "NO" list.

I'm glad we're protecting our native species, but none of them are any good at eating algae.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah, I've heard of similar circumstances in the saltwater arena also from those in Hawaii. There are definitely perks for living there, but the fact that the islands have ideal climates for all sort of feral species, doesn't bold well for hobbyists.

I believe that you guys do have a hawaiian shrimp that consumes algae, but it requires salt (depends on the concentration, but certain plants are capable of thriving in brackish conditions). It has very similar coloration to cherry reds, but doesn't grow as large.

Eric

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

My understanding is that Cherry Red Shrimp have already been introduced into your natural environment, and have been for quite a while.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...sinensis&hl=en

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to say your tank would be very overstocked, how about sticking to a pair of sparkling or honey gouramies? I'd love to see pics once you're finished!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 05:27 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
Sorry to say your tank would be very overstocked, how about sticking to a pair of sparkling or honey gouramies?
Hey Joe! Didn't you read the whole thread???

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

Where in Hawaii do you live? And where did you find the SAEs? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Modern Pet near ala moana has lots of SAE now . . . I've bought 3 so far, but I'm thinking of getting more.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

personally i dont think that fish list is over stocked, but thats just my personal opinion. i prefer doing things my own way and if it breaks the guidelines, then so be it. it has worked for me. dont hurt me.

but then again im not suggesting adding more fish, but i do suggest keeping up with weekly water changes.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy1021
personally i dont think that fish list is over stocked, but thats just my personal opinion. i prefer doing things my own way and if it breaks the guidelines, then so be it. it has worked for me. dont hurt me.

but then again im not suggesting adding more fish, but i do suggest keeping up with weekly water changes.
Being able to do something doesn't mean that it should be done. For example, oscars can be kept in a 10-gallon, but should they (granted it won't be able to turn)?

Understocking (or stocking to the limit at most) is both aesthetic to the eye and is for the benefits of the fish. Those SAEs can grow to become 5" torpedos by themselves. By housing that many fish in the tank, you're dealing with stunting their growth, increased levels of stress, and have a hard time dealing with diseases (ich will spread through there like a wildfire).

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode