30l/ 7 Gallon nano tank! Help needed! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
30l/ 7 Gallon nano tank! Help needed!

Hi everyone,
I have been keeping fish, both marine and tropical for a number of years, however have downsized on both, and gone for a nano marine tank and a nano planted tank.
I have had the nano marine tank set up for around 2 years now and it has been going great, however when it comes to the tropical planted aquarium :-(- no luck, as every five minutes, I have to buy new plants as they are constantly dying.

I wish to start a new planted aquarium/ nano around 7 UK Gallons, and get it right from the start, beginning with a new aquarium. The tank which I have picked is the Wave BOX Cubo 30 ( the same as my marine)- see link and scroll down- stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Wave_Nano_Tanks
My first question, is whether or not to get a longer aquarium width wise- (wave box) rather than a taller one(length wise) (wave cubo), as will this be easier to aqua-scape and more beneficial towards the plants if it was longer or taller?

My second question is what wattage of light would be required to keep a highly planted nano of this type and the plants healthy? The tank come with a 18w compact light. Should this be enough for healthy growth?

I will be adding ecocomplete as a substrate, after much research, as it seems to be the best available for beginners in planted aquariums.

My third question is about the filter. I plan on adding a 600lph hang on filter to this aquarium. Will this be too much flow for the plants, or create a perfect flow in such as small aquarium?

My forth and final question is about Co2 in a nano tank of this size. Would it be as beneficial to add liquid carbon to the tank as it would to be too add DIY co2 to set the tank up, as I am willing to do either, to ensure prolonged success of my tank.

Thanks for your help, and sorry in advance for the long winded questions :-),
hathj29
P.S- Has anyone has success with the company (AquaEssentials.co.uk), as I wish to buy plants from them, so if anyone has comments about them, I would be glad to hear them- Thankyou!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Algae Grower

Well, I'm no expert but I've been doing my homework while starting my own tanks.

1. Regarding your question on length or height.. it's hard to say without the actual dimensions of the tanks. It could be at two extremes: a really tall tank with a small base or a really long tank with little height/depth. At the end though, it's really what kind of tank/style you want (ie Wabi Kusa, Iwagumi, jungle, your own style). Get back to us with the specifications of the tank.

2. UK gallons... are they the same as US gallons? If so, 18w/7gal = 2.5wpg. That said, the wpg rule applies more readily to larger tanks. I believe Rex Rigg(sp?) has an article on this. To summarize it, (my understanding of the rule is that) the WPG rule scales down and reaches an absolute minimum. Let's say a 60w over a 20gal would be 3wpg (high?). If you scale the tank down to 1gal (nano sized), you will have a 3w light. That's 3wpg and would be high(?) wpg, but the plants won't be able to thrive off of only 3w.

Maybe a more experienced person could chime in on this. I'm using sunlight to dry start my HC and stems (melt city>>growback/propagation). That said, are you trying to go low light/low tech, low light/mid tech, high light/high tech?

3. 600lph/30l = 20x turnover. Again, I'm no expert, but that turnover rate is bound to be lower. Again, this depends on what you want: stems/tall plants, or low, carpet plants only. Also depends on the style of tank. I would imagine a giant stone in an Iwagumi would change the flow. There are ways around high flow but get back to us on what kind of style/plants you want.

4. CO2/carbon source. I'd say.. it depends! What plants will you get? There are some compatibility problems with certain plants, for example: marimo balls can be killed by Excel dosing problems. Carbon sources like Seachem Excel would be fine in most cases. Especially in a 7gal. Get back to us on what kind of plants you want.

One final opinion before I head out, I would go ahead and try it with the stuff you've listed. Sounds like you have a good amount of research under your belt. I'd do a bit more research on plants and pick out plants that do well in mid-low light. I'd also invest in a few floaters to sponge off excess nutrients so you won't have a algae explosion. I'm using Amazon Frogbit, S. something (reddish roots, round leaves), and am thinking about throwing a floating Hornwort or two in there during the cycle/initial addition of fish. Most of all

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi again, Sorry for the late reply!!
Thanks for all your help! It has given me lots of advice on planted tanks, especially to a beginner in this topic, like me! I still have a couple of questions, following up your useful answers:

1. In terms of the either a tall or a long tank, the tall tank is 30x30x30cm (a cube), wheres as the longer tank will be 40L x 25D x 28H- which will give a overall larger tank. I intend on doing a jungle style with a mixture of plants, so what do you believe to be the one which will look aesthetically appealing and more beneficial towards the Plants, in a jungle setup??

BOTH TANKS ARE AROUND 8/9 US GALLONS.

2. In both tanks/ both come with an 6500k 18w PC bulb. Will this be enough to grow a wide variety of plants in a jungle cube or would a 20w bulb, be more beneficial?

I intend on using diy co2 and see how it goes, but will probably go back to liquid carbon after the first couple of weeks and will fertilise weekly/ daily, using a liquid source.
HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT MEASURING HOW MANY CO2 bubbles per second, in a tank this size?

Finnaly, the filter is a 600lph hang on filter. Will this be too much for a tank of this size, as I will want to grow a variety of plants. Will this be too strong, for such a tank?

I have taken a look at the fluval edge, and like how minimalist it looks. However, could I keep a Siamese Fighter/ betta splendas, in a tank like this due to a lack of surface area or not?

Once again, thanks for your help.
hathj29
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump :-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode