Fluval Spec V: Want alternate lighting, but not CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fluval Spec V: Want alternate lighting, but not CO2

Hello--I am looking to get back into planted tanks after a two year hiatus. I previously only had small (10g and 5g) low light tanks (my first planted tanks).

I'm looking to restart things with the Fluval Spec V.

I've done a bit of reading and understand that the stock light leaves something to be desired.

I've seen a lot of people mention using the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 16 or the Finnex Stingray 16 (I'm particularly interested in the FugeRay). The PAR thread indicates that the FugeRay would be in the medium spectrum (I think) and the Stingray would be somewhere in the higher end of low, perhaps bordering into medium.

However, I've read conflicting things regarding the need to run CO2 with either of these lights on this tank.

Question: Could anyone tell me if they have the FugeRay (or Stingray) on the Spec V without running CO2? Or if you've tried this and failed?

ETA: Alternately, does anyone have suggestions for a different light that would likely not require running CO2?

I'd be fine with dosing excel, but I'd rather not jump into CO2 just yet if I can avoid it (on the other hand, I'd like a bit more light--and thus variety of plants--than I had previously).

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Roccamanamana; 03-20-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Expanded original question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe go with the finnex 24/7, as it is completely adjustable. You can tune it to have low light to slight medium or even higher later as you venture into CO2. Honestly, you still wouldn't need to increase it much (if at all) even after you get CO2, as you'll get plenty of growth without high light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode