Help with lighting for a Fluval Edge - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with lighting for a Fluval Edge

As you can tell from my post count I'm new here (and new to aquariums)...

I have just bought a Fluval Edge (6 gal) for my 5 yr old son. We have a few fish (guppys & mollys), and have just planted a few plants (Cryptocoryne wendtii and lutea). We got the mentioned plants as the LFS said these are good for low light conditions. I didn't know about fertilized gravel before we did the tank up, so it contains "generic" ordinary gravel.

I plan on using Flurish and Excel for fertilizing. My concern is the stock lighting with the tank will not be enough for the above mentioned plants (two 10w halogen). I have scoured the forum, and have seen some great ideas for this tank, and I'm wondering which I should implement.

First option is doing nothing, just using the stock lights.
Second is to replace the lights with MR11 LED types
Third is to attach a 10W bulb to the housing
Fourth is to add two lights on either side of the housing (Ikea ones)

So which mod would work best for the Cryptocoryne plants? Should I add the Ikea lights as well as the 10W fluorescent and the LED's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, that's where I got most of the mods from. I'm just not sure how much light is enough for my needs. Its a great thread with lots of good info....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
Second is to replace the lights with MR11 LED types
I highly suggest you start off with this. Switching to these bulbs from the stock halogens is like day and night.

If you do buy these bulbs, they're a little cheaper at the seller's direct website rather than eBay.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Leaf Aquariums View Post
Considering the OP included links from that thread in his post, it's safe to assume he already knows about it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
I highly suggest you start off with this. Switching to these bulbs from the stock halogens is like day and night.

If you do buy these bulbs, they're a little cheaper at the seller's direct website rather than eBay.
Seeing as how your in Canada as well, if you ordered those LED's, did you order them from the States, or is there a place up here that sells them?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
Seeing as how your in Canada as well, if you ordered those LED's, did you order them from the States, or is there a place up here that sells them?
Nope, I ordered it from that same retailer through eBay (before I knew about their website). I didn't bother looking for a Canadian source as it's pretty non-existent.

It took about 10 days to arrive. No duty.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I went to Ikea, and bought the LACK lights (thanks for the tip Guerdonian).

It makes quite a difference especially in the corners which were quite dark before. The second picture shows just the center two halogens on, and the third shows all four lights on.

I think I'll go ahead and order the LED lights as a replacement for the supplied halogen ones, and I'm hoping that will be enough light for the plants...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030338.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	18164  

Name:	without.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	18165  

Name:	with.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	18166  

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks great!

The LED bulbs will definitely help with the spotlight effect and give the tank a more natural white light.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
What a difference those lights make. Your Edge looks well lit now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

Hi. I am a newbie on this tank (just ordered mine and expecting arrival this Sat...), and actually re-entering the hobby after I sold my 5-year old 93gal tank in November, but this will be my first attempt for a planted tank so I do have several stupid plant lighting questions:

1. I thought rule of thumb for high level of light is 3W per gal. The original stock is 2x10W...shouldn't this be more than enough for the center area(even though it is spot light)? Just curious....

2. I've already bought those same LEDs on eBay....but how many W are they?

3. How many W are the Ikea light?

4. I plan to stock the tank with HC carpeting and RCS with this set up: LED+Ikea light+Hagen CO2+Seachem . Is the set up enough for decent HC growth?

Thanks!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Light wattage and the Watt per gallon rule is pretty obsolete nowadays, especially with LEDs because they're so energy efficient. According to the seller, the eBay bulbs consume 2.1W each.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleung2bleung View Post

3. How many W are the Ikea light?

4. I plan to stock the tank with HC carpeting and RCS with this set up: LED+Ikea light+Hagen CO2+Seachem . Is the set up enough for decent HC growth?

Thanks!

Unfortunately Ikea doesn't supply wattage for the LACK lights, and once again the accuracy of the watts per gallon rule gets debatable with LED's. I currently have the IKEA LACK lights and the upgraded LED bulbs from ebay, and the couple "high light" plants in my tank are still having a little trouble, could be the fact that i am completely nitrate deprived at the moment, waiting for my ferts to come in the mail. As far as my low to mid light plants, they are doing great with my current lighting. I think the lack lights do a good job of getting some light in the dismal corners of the tank, but not quite enough output to make “high light” plants like HC happy.

Flyboy320, tank looks great

Last edited by guerdonian; 02-12-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. I got the Ikea lights over the weekend but unfortunately the eBay MR11 160lumen bulbs are sold out at the supplier--general question, what kind of light bulbs will work in the standard Fluval sockets? Am I looking for anything that is "MR11" or will it take other types like MR12, MR16, etc. (confused about them....)?

Can someone provide other alternatives bright LED lights?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ordered the LED lights about 10 days ago (using their eBay store) and got confirmation the next day that they have shipped. Just got an email today saying they were out of stock. Not impressed by LEDwholesalers. Took 10 days after they told me they shipped to then tell me they hadn't shipped, and they were out of stock...

I found another type that's similar, but has 12 LED's on the bulb instead of 10 on the above linked one. Just search ebay for item# 390158649093.

I would like to hear from other people that have the LED lighting if they think this alternative might work OK, or if the two extra LED's on the light might make it to bright.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode