10 Gallon Chum Bucket (Pic Intensive) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
10 Gallon Chum Bucket (Pic Intensive)

Hello all I finally got time to start this thread on my ten gallon!
To begin with here are the "specs"

Lighting:
2 x 13 watt CFL bulbs (6500k each)

Substrate:
One bag of Eco-Complete
A layer of Aquasoil on top

Plants:

Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf Hygro
HC
MM
Java Moss (wall has been removed due to lack of mainetnance)
Flame Moss (driftwood)
Dwarf Sag
Micro Sword
Banana Plant (died due to lack of maintenance, will get another one soon)

Occupants:

Betta
Cherry Shrimps
Crystal Red Shrimp
Crystal Black Shrimp
Yellow Shrimp
One Ghost Shrimp (disappeared 0.o)
One Otocinclus (deceased)

This tank started off rocky. Plants were not surviving with the old 15 watt tube light so I retrofitted my lighting to have CFL bulbs and plants started hanging on. Growth was slow so I started dosing excel and DIY CO2 and tank came to life! Mosses have taken off within a week of doing all the "upgrades" as well as speedier growth of the other plants. Things are about to get pic intensive so bear with me!

Side view so you can see the progress of my moss wall. Three weeks and counting.

Banana plant, I think these plants look awesome.

Some weird green stuff on the micro sword there. Don't know what it is. Ideas?

Flame Moss looks hot...

BERRIED SHRIMP! What are the chances of the babies surviving? How can I make them better?

Last edited by chumblaka; 02-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sweet moss wall! i tried to do one of those and created a fish trap of death.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Wow, I've seen a couple online but I never trusted the way they setup theirs since they always left a dangerous looking gap. I made mines as secure as I could. I put it flush with the back glass and burrowed two-three inches of the mess into the substrate to hold it in place and cut the mesh in a shape that fit snug with all four corners of the tank. So far no gaps and none of my shrimps have gone back there.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
this is looking great! im hoping your moss wall fills in it will add alot to the tank. i think your betta may have a nice lunch if the shrimp babies hatch... but you can cover the filter intake with a prefilter or sponge

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks JennaH, also for all the help before. Yeah I hope so too CO2 and excel dosing should have this wall up in no time.

That's what I think about my Betta. He seems really nice though for a Betta. He never chases the shrimp, sometimes provokes the otto but never nips so maybe a few survive? Anyways I think it might be a way better idea to just transfer the berried cherries to my finnex once it is done cycling.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I put a banana plant in my tank and it went off so far its put two leaves up to the surface and another is on its way. First one went up within a week. Was totally amazed.

Tank looks lovely.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
2 things...

1) EXCELLENT quality on the meshing for your moss wall...never thought of using a strong, firm material, thus eliminating the fish trap of death aspect...and

2) I have a shrimp tank w/ 12 RCS shrimp...only about 2wks old and Ive always wondered what a berried shrimp looks like...GREAT CLEAR picture! now I know what to look for (even if it does look absolutely disgusting)

**Edit**

from what I understand, you might want to remove that Ghost shrimp...they eat baby RCS
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
The tank is lookin good, and a tip of the hat on the outcome of your moss wall construction. Cant wait to see the moss go nuts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pimp #420
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very nice! Thanks for sharing and keep this updated!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
WOW great tanks. I plan on doing almost the exact same things soon.

for the RCS babies i would suggest booting the betta (even though hes adorable) he might eat the babies, and also put some sponge over the filter. Oh and also i would get rid of the Ghost shrimp, they tend to eat RCS babies because they are scavangers and eat whatever they can get their hands on!

good luck! now i cant wait to start my 10 gal up like yours. I have sub par lighting, lie you had and I currently have 5 female bettas and mad ghost shrimp in there, i want to turn it into a moss type tank with lots of rcs.

heres a funny picture that you dont want to see ever (at least its just a ghost shrimp lol and yes it is in thier mouths, and they do this all the time, ghost shrimp are like snacks for these ladies)

Bettas are ruthless hunters! haha. I wouldnt risk it on the cherrys, especially the momma! Cant wait to see more of this tank
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

what did you use for the mesh of the moss wall and how did you get the moss to start on it?

i had a banna plant and i thought it died and this weekend i gave some plants to my aunt and realized i gave her a small one. oh well it was cluttered anyway.

20 gallon marineland kit

mason jar with flourite Java ferns and java moss and a ramshorn
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasseagle6 View Post
what did you use for the mesh of the moss wall and how did you get the moss to start on it?

i had a banna plant and i thought it died and this weekend i gave some plants to my aunt and realized i gave her a small one. oh well it was cluttered anyway.

I got some mesh from the arts and crafts section at wal-mart. I got two pieces and I sandwiched moss evenly throughout. I then got fishing line and tied all four sides so moss couldn't escaped and to have a tight sandwich so moss wouldn't slip to bottom and be forced to grow outward.

One thing to remember when making a moss wall background is to make sure you have the mesh cut to size because if you don't fishies and shrimps can get caught behind the wall. I was lucky and on my first try I got a really really snug fit on the back of the tank I might have gotten away without having to burrow an inch of the mesh to keep in place but I did it anyways to be sure.

Banana plants in my experience seem to be very resilient! I had a dying one and withing a week It had all new leaves!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumblaka View Post
I got some mesh from the arts and crafts section at wal-mart.
It's called plastic canvas. It's also available in clear.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a small update. One of my cherry's eggs hatched! I found a little guy and took a picture. (I want a better macro lens!)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
omg that shrimp is so adorable! i cant wait to get some cherries!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode