The Planted Tank Forum banner

Todd's first planted tank - 5g

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  toddg 
#1 ·
Hi all!

New member and new to planted tanks.

I've started a 5g tank at work using an Aqueon minibow tank. Not as nice as the Eclipse, but it was one I could get a bulb to fit (more questions on that below).

From reading the forum I ordered the following plants

Crypt Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii) Pot
Crypt Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii) Pot
Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’)
Sag, Dwarf Subulata

Already realized that I should have ordered unpotted plants for everything.

Tank Specifics:

5g Minibow with stock filter
Sustrate: Activ-Flora
Lighting: 10w Coralife 50/50 mini compact florescent

I have taken potting off the plants and most of the material and started placing them into the gravel.

Questions based on more reading:

1) Can I add a sand layer over the gravel substrate? Seems that sand is more common for planted tanks and might make it easier for the plants on the substrate.

2) For lighting output, is the wattage on a CF bulb what the tank recieves, or the incandescent equivelant? I also ordered a 20watt bulb, not sure if it is going to fit into the hood yet.

3) I thought the java fern was going to be way smaller than what arrived. It's already taller than the tank so I trimmed it off to fit. Might have to try keeping it going in some state until I get a larger tank setup.

4) I've put around 3" of substrate based on recommendations. How deep should plants be placed? The nana is going on driftwoood, the rest will be sunk into the substrate.

Lots and lots more questions to follow along with some pics.

Thanks in advance for any help, this looks like a great forum and I'm eager to learn!

Todd

See less See more
#4 ·
A few test pictures during test initial layout tests. Gotta bring in a better camera, the Iphone just doesn't work too great. The curved front of the mini-bow tank doesn't help either.

The driftwood is really shadowed by the foreground plants, but it's the only way I can fit it into the tank (angled). Might change out the front plantings to a shorter ground cover.

#6 ·
Hey, Todd. I am really inspired by your tank. I have planted a 5 gallon corner Eclipse for my betta, but I basically just stuck in the plants that I had on hand, without much thought for artistic arrangement. Plants and betta are happy, but I'm trying to learn more about how to plant small aquariums more beautifully. Thank you for posting your photo.

I have 6 tanks right now, all small (5 to 30 gallons).

This is my first post.

#8 ·
The sag. subulata I have in the foreground are getting really brown and clear. This seems similar to what I've read about crypt melting. Being new to planted tanks I'm not sure if this is normal for these during an initial tank setup /planting. I really want to move everything around in the tank based on rethinking the plant layout based on plant sizes. Going to do the big weekly water change today and try cleaning up what's there a bit and will decide then what I'm going to do next.

Tank after one week:

sag:

#11 ·
It really depends on the hobbyist I suppose. I personally dont mind them as long as its a suitable number. But if they get out of control then theres a problem. Mostl likely they are pond snails. Hitchhikers that came in with your plants. Depending on the amount you have in there for a 5gallon tank it may prove to be too much. But then again most people assume theyll devour your plants but I have yet to experience this(knock on wood)

#14 ·
That new photo looks 300% better.
That's a nice little scape you have going on there now!

As far as the snails, I've found they're really only abundant when I overfeed or if I have an algae problem. Either way, it's when I'm doing something wrong that their numbers get out of control.

Keep it up!

#15 ·
Yes I like the newer layout. Dwarf sags are nice but in such a small tank as your they are mid level plants. What kind of filter are you using btw? I was curious because when I had an eclipse 5, surface scum was always a problem for me. I'm assuming the Aqueon uses a different filter system though.

#16 ·
I'm currently using the stock filter that came with the tank. I do have an Aquaclear 20 on it that I was deciding between it and the stock one to run. I think it AQ puts out too much current even on a low setting for the small 5g tank so switched back to the little factory one instead. The downside is that is mounted inside the frame so it blocks a lot more of the light from the good. Will probably end up moving back again to the AQ 20. Sure not helping my cycling / setup to keep being undecided, but the plants and snails are doing okay. Been diligent about holding off on fish and shrimp, but a few starters are going in soon. Need to move the last of the sag to the middle/back, just not enough room with the temporary holding pots in there now.

#17 ·
Dwarf hairgrass is growing well in the tank. The one in the stored pot awating transport is already reaching the top of the waterline which equates to almost 3" of upwards growth since I put it in. The planted stuff looks to be doing well also. I'm not sure if the HC is going to make it, I stuffed it into the substrate with some of the rockwool left as I couldn't get it to stay down any other way.

Tested the water yesterday and here's what I came up with:

Ph 7.3
GH 25 (yeah, Vegas has hard water)
KH 8
Nitrate .1 ppm

Ran a quick test of GH for the bottled water in our office and it shows a GH of 10 so maybe that would be a better choice for water changes? I need to do a sample from home as we have a water softner installed that I'm curious what difference that makes.

Some morning pics of the snails doing their thing:

#23 ·
I don't believe Zebra Danios are the best choice for that tank considering it's size (assuming it's standard 15x9x14 minibow) and how hyper they are. I personally would rather go with a few guppies or endlers (all male so there's no breeding), maybe White Cloud Minnows, or a betta and some shrimp or a larger snail. They'll probably be fine, assuming you keep up on water changes, but in my first 10 gallon I had zebra danio and even in there they were a little too zippy & active to really enjoy it.

That said, I'm always impressed by how nice some people can make nano tanks look, well done.

#21 ·
Tank is doing good. Hairgrass got a trim yesterday, it had grown up over 3" since planting.

Danio's are busy fish and very curious. They always seem interested in the pruning tools when I'm trying to clean up the tank.

Really hard to photograph this tank between the bow front and light color gravel. I really want to redo it with black Eco-complete, but the plants and fish are happy currently. Might end up moving everything to either a 6g or 10g rectangular tank.

#28 ·
You should take those plants out of the pots, and take the rock wool off... PLANT them! Looks good though

EDIT: Wow not sure how I missed a whole page... looks like you did...
Yeah...three of the plants were only there for storage until the 55g was up and running.

Want to move the large red crypt out to the 55 now and put in one of the smaller ones I received but the little RCS are all over it so gonna wait a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.