Planaria in tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planaria in tank?

So I've been working on a planted nano tank for almost a year now (Marineland Contour 3G), trying to get everything stabilized and properly grown in so I can take it to work. For the first half of the year, it was plants only, and just recently, I added two Japonica (Amanos) to help with the algae. My first two were jumpers though. Found a way into the filter overflow area, and then out of the tank to god only knows where. So, I fixed the gap, and purchased another Japonica from a different store. Got him home and settled, but two days later, he wasn't eating and I noticed the tiniest little worm-like things swimming in the water. I'm guessing from research it's planaria?

I've used a turkey baster to blow air against the substrate and kick up a bunch of debris, which I've cleaned out. And literally, sat in front of my tank for hours sucking up each little swimmer I could find. I've seriously cut back on their numbers and my little one was out eating today. And I'll continue to clean for the next week.

I think my question here is, did they come from the store? It's been my experience that parasites don't just manifest in a sterile tank, but then again, I've never kept shrimp before. What do I need to know here? Are there other better treatments besides the water changes and vaccuuming the substrate and sucking up the little buggers?

And do I risk getting other Japonicas from this store? They're very hard to find in my area and I have to travel to get them. If I do, is there quarantine procedures for shrimp that I should follow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
They could also be nematodes. Do they swim with an ess (s) shape? If so those are nematodes and if I am not mistaken they are harmless. Had them in my 10 and my 75. The ones in my 75 were eaten by espeis. I put the espei in the tank and as soon as I did they were on the nematodes, pretty cool to watch actually.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Planaria are flat worms with triangle/arrowhead shaped heads. Sort of brownish color. Easy to identify. Compare to detritus worms if that is what you might have instead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode