Spec V - minimal growth with stock light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spec V - minimal growth with stock light

It's my first planted tank and it's coming along, but I'm not really getting much growth. I have mostly low light plants planted (i.e. anubias, java fern, crypt, etc.). I've started dosing with Excel every other day and Flourish once a week. My substrate is just Caribsea peace river gravel. Is the light keeping me from getting any real growth? I was hoping to get growth and keep the tank as low maintenance as possible. I'll try to update with a current pic later tonight.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticaddict View Post
It's my first planted tank and it's coming along, but I'm not really getting much growth. I have mostly low light plants planted (i.e. anubias, java fern, crypt, etc.). I've started dosing with Excel every other day and Flourish once a week. My substrate is just Caribsea peace river gravel. Is the light keeping me from getting any real growth? I was hoping to get growth and keep the tank as low maintenance as possible. I'll try to update with a current pic later tonight.

Thanks!
All of the plants you list are quite slow growers, and the stock light on the Spec V is certainly "low" light, so you're not going to get anything more than slow growth. To maximize growth, you'll want to use the Excel daily (it only lasts about 12 hours, so you want to dose it so that it's available when the tank is lit).

If you're going for low maintenance, I'm not sure you need to do anything else, especially if you have fish in the tank (along with Flourish comprehensive, they'll supply all the nutrients you need for these plants, other than perhaps potassium).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks your response helps alot. I'll bump the excel dosing to daily and use it in the morning when I feed and turn on the light. I'm getting quite a bit of brown/black algae growth (assuming it's algae here) on the plant leaves (especially the Anubias) so it just seems like things are "stagnant" so to speak when I'm not seeing new growth. I did have the Anubias congensis put out a new leave that went to 4" in about a week or so, but that was it. :/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticaddict View Post
Thanks your response helps alot. I'll bump the excel dosing to daily and use it in the morning when I feed and turn on the light. I'm getting quite a bit of brown/black algae growth (assuming it's algae here) on the plant leaves (especially the Anubias) so it just seems like things are "stagnant" so to speak when I'm not seeing new growth. I did have the Anubias congensis put out a new leave that went to 4" in about a week or so, but that was it. :/
How often are you doing water changes? And how much?

And how long is your light on? Too-long photoperiods can be a cause of algae. Brown "algae" is usually brown diatoms, and it's common in newly cycled tanks.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Weekly water changes, ~ 25-30%. Tank is cycled, water parms are good, running matrix and purigen. When I did my tank maintenance last night I ended up rescaping a bit and pulled a lot of plants and driftwood out. I noticed a lot of debris/detrius in the gravel when I stirred things up. Makes me want to vacuum it, but isn't it beneficial for the plants?

Usually I turn the light on in the morning (6:30AM) and turn it off at night (10PM). Figured since it's a low output light it's probably not hurting anything. Should I adjust this and maybe run a timer?

Thanks again!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode