First Planted Tank [Updated 4/22] - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank [Updated 4/22]

Shoddy quick cell pic, heh.

So this is how you plant a tank, right guys? ...right...?

Hahaha. I am waiting on my late substrate, but my tank arrived early and I had to do something! After checking out a couple stores, I still haven't found that perfect bit o' driftwood that really "speaks to me", either.

Maybe I'll put some golden ratio marks on it and deeply ponder the potential zen of my hardscape. Or refresh myself on the pump tube mod that makes the heater efficient.

Hopefully I'll have something modest shareable in a little while. There's just so much inspiration on these forums, truly amazing stuff, y'all make it look easy even knowing otherwise!

Last edited by Mewski; 04-23-2016 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Planted Member

Is that the Fluval V EVO meant for a reef? I have never thought of using it for plants... If so, where did you buy it?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's a start ... and something else to look at when you are on the computer!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwagumist View Post
Is that the Fluval V EVO meant for a reef? I have never thought of using it for plants... If so, where did you buy it?
It's actually a Spec V. I think they may be changing the design, like Overgrown documented in their Spec III thread. I didn't know about the EVO, but yes, it does look like that! I got it from Amazon but there wasn't any indication I'd be getting this box. From a quick glance at the EVO specifications, the only difference I see is that EVO is 11000K temp light and 759 lumens while this one is 7000k and 821 lm (via Evo website and my Spec manual). With the design, maybe they are consolidating parts to make it cheaper for them?

Here is a picture of the box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
I always wanted a customized, realistic aquatic screensaver, hehe.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwagumist View Post
Hmm, I made a more detailed post that I think is stuck in the mod queue for a picture link. The gist is that the tank is actually a Spec V that appears newly "updated".
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hahaha... nice. A very unique layout.
And +10 for having plantedtank.net up, in the photo.

-C-Cat-
Member,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I keep a
with: least killifish, scarlet badis, otos, espei rasboras, nerite snails, red rili shrimp, and scuds. I often have a few jars or buckets around with daphnia, fairy shrimp, and the like.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
I always wanted a customized, aquatic screen saver, hehe.

Thanks for the 'points' C-Cat.. I'm sure I'll have plantedtank.net open a lot more often!

A little update to my tank, it's really planted now! So glad to get started and setting everything up was super fun. Even the trips to 4 stores to get the right rocks and driftwood... I should have known beforehand the chains wouldn't have anything useful.

Then I found a super cool LFS and they gave me a great deal on the hardscape, great sales tactic because I'm going back there for my fishies when it's time, too!

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks fantastic! You did a great job arranging the branches. It has quite a mysterious look to it and I like the white area in the middle, it really leads your eye into the tank. What sort of fish are you planning to put in?
Mewski and Mewski like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, Touch of Sky! I am quite chuffed about it. I'm not completely decided on fish yet. The general idea is some shrimp, one nirite snail and either ember tetras or chili rasboras, maybe a different rasbora depending on what I can find in my LFS.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Algae Grower

The light seem really blue or really cool white? It does not look mines 7000k light. I feel its more like 8000k-10000k

I like the layout too.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenquarium View Post
The light seem really blue or really cool white? It does not look mines 7000k light. I feel its more like 8000k-10000k

I like the layout too.
Thanks. It definitely does look very blue, doesn't it? It is listed as 7000k on the box and in the tech specs.

It's pure speculation, but I wonder if that's the temp of the white LEDs themselves, and the blue moonlight leds that also come on are throwing it differently. Hopefully someone with more testing equipment can figure it out.

I am already wistfully eyeing a Satellite Freshwater LED+...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I tried tying some of my middling Java moss to the branches. It looks nice, if a bit yellow, I'm not sure it will last. Not a big deal if it doesn't, just practice. It was fun!

I also found what looked like a baby pond snail crawling around on my glass. I removed it, but now am left wondering if there's more hiding about. I certainly hope not.

Luckily, the package I ordered showed up today, so I added a "biologically active" filter sponge that claims to speed up or eliminate the need for cycling. Seems a bit too good to be true but hopefully it shaves some time off!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a little update. I removed the dying hornwort (that makes such a mess! I'm still cleaning up bits from it) and tomorrow I'll have to cut the rest of the java moss off. I am so mad that the plants I ordered online arrived in such a poor state. I'm never ordering from that site again.

The marimo balls are slowly recovering, they arrived brown and dark green and are now showing patches of the healthy green I see in photos (and in the ones at my LFS and even petco).

I added some water sprite and a crypt from a LFS yesterday. I was going to pick up some four leaf clover, too, as suggested by a salesperson, but they had sold out for the week.

I wonder what the micro sword is trying to do with the long tendril. It looks a bit shorter in the pics because I nestled the roots further into the substrate. Those long tweezers are so handy.

Two more pond snails removed so far.. can't wait til my cycling finishes.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewski View Post

Here's a little update. I removed the dying hornwort (that makes such a mess! I'm still cleaning up bits from it) and tomorrow I'll have to cut the rest of the java moss off. I am so mad that the plants I ordered online arrived in such a poor state. I'm never ordering from that site again.

The marimo balls are slowly recovering, they arrived brown and dark green and are now showing patches of the healthy green I see in photos (and in the ones at my LFS and even petco).

I added some water sprite and a crypt from a LFS yesterday. I was going to pick up some four leaf clover, too, as suggested by a salesperson, but they had sold out for the week.

I wonder what the micro sword is trying to do with the long tendril. It looks a bit shorter in the pics because I nestled the roots further into the substrate. Those long tweezers are so handy.

Two more pond snails removed so far.. can't wait til my cycling finishes.
I really like this scape. So many ways to make the Spec V look good, I feel a bit paralyzed with mine at the moment with all these great examples around. I'm buying plants tonight and going for it, though, ha.

It always is terrible to wait for cycling.
Mewski and Mewski like this.

--

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
I really like this scape. So many ways to make the Spec V look good, I feel a bit paralyzed with mine at the moment with all these great examples around. I'm buying plants tonight and going for it, though, ha.

It always is terrible to wait for cycling.
Thank you! Yes, the best thing to do is just go for it. Not like you can't make changes later! I hope you get nice plants.

In other news, I found another pond snail sliding around and some algae growing, so I did a big dose of excel and reduced the lights by an hour. I also tested.. 0 ammo.. and 0 nitrites! ~25ppm nitrates! Eee! Almost ready?! I dosed ammo back to 4ppm and will check tomorrow.. if it's good I'm getting my ember tetras too!

Happy St. Patrick's day everyone~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode