Well... That just happened. New nano. - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well... That just happened. New nano.

I have been planning on starting a new tank for some time. Originally I wanted to build my own for the shape I wanted. Then when I discovered that was not realistic simply due to where I live and what is available here, I ultimately decided on a Fluval Spec V.
However today a friend dropped by with this tank he had bought but never used and gave it to me. Now as much as I was wanting that fluval 5, im not one to turn down free. So. I ran out and got some eco complete and some plants and threw this baby together right quick. Im not in love with the shape, I was really digging the longer shape of the fluval, but I'll make this work. I just need to tweak my hardacape plan.
Anyways it appears to be about a 3-3.5 gal tank. It is nice where the filtration is concealed in the back, I do love that. I also put the heatwr back there with room to spare.
I'll likely get myself a fun Betta once the cycle ends. I would love shrimp, however I am over a 4 hour drive to the closest LFS and I don't plan a trip down there anytime soon, so I think I may rescue a Betta from petco.

I any event, the clip on led is pretty sad, so I've got a CFL I'll use for now until I get something else figured out.

Take a looky

Aplomado and Aplomado like this.

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
Traveler, adventurer, movie watch, book reader, fish lovin dude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like it. What are those plants on top planted in? (hard to tell in the picture)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am unsure. I bought them in the pond section at home depot, however I'm starting to wonder if they are actually emersed type plants. I think I'm going to get some peace lily to replace em, and then just pot these

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also any aquascape advice would be great, as well as plant suggestion. I have a 13watt CFL bulb running and as soon as my shipment gets here I'll start dosing excel, flourish and iron. I really love crypts but everything else can be replaced, this is simply what was available at petco.

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

Looking great! do you happen to know who makes the tank and what model it is?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I get home this evening I'll look at the box. I didn't recognize it the name. I'll ask my friend where he got it

BK-201 and BK-201 like this.

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey yall, update.
The tank has been growing really well over the last few weeks. I have been dosing excel, iron and flourish on top of regular water changes. The plants are growing well and algae is well under control thanks to the excel and some nitrate snails. Take a look and let me know what you think! I just tonight trimmed, I should have taken before photos but forgot.

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Algae Grower

Looks very cool, I love how big those red plants grew and your bright blue betta is very photogenic.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ha e actually trimmed those red ones TWICE. they grow like weeds and are a brilliant color.
And yes he is! He is a little pill but he is gorgeous and loves attention.
Thank you much

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your plant on top looks like arrowhead? but I'm not sure- can't see the leaf shape too well. If it is, grows fine like that- I have one I've kept in a vase with water just around the roots at bottom for 2 years. Very pretty plant IMHO.

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Love it! The plants colours are beautiful. Your betta is very pretty, too.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
is your red plant ludwigia repens?
the plants you got from home depot are a type of arrow head and grow in marshes, so you're good there.

A DIY kinda GUY
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Is that a cory in the bottom right corner of the tank? If so return it. They need to be in shoals of 6 or more and a 3-3.5g tank is much to small even for dwarf and pygmy cory.
Also return the harlequin rasboras. Again should be in groups of 6 and that tank is far to small for them. Even if its the smaller relative lambchop rasbosras they need a 10g and still school/shoal of 6.
In that size tank you should ONLY have the 1 betta. There is not enough room for other fish.
Tessa and Tessa like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I appreciate and respect your opinion however I have been in this hobby for a very long time and I'll maintain my current stock.

Also as I come back and reread this I see that I appear to come off as a total ass and know this was not my intention. I appreciate those out there who genuinely care and try to help others keep fish the way they should be kept. I do understand that in general yes there are guidelines to follow, however I think it comes down to my personal preference in part as well as my experience and my abilitu to maintain a healthy aquarium.

Houston
Idaho/Alaska

Last edited by thatphotoguy; 03-10-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode