first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
first planted tank

Hey guys, decided to try out this hobby with a Fluval Spec 2 gallon tank. I added a 10w mini heater. Plants that I decided to go with were a few anubias and a java fern. Currently there are 2 goldfin tetra's in there as well. I am not planning on introducing anything else until the tank goes through its "cycle" which it seems to be doing now; the water turned slightly murky after about a day. Planning to keep this a low-tech tank as it is my first tank and I am a beginner to the hobby all together. I guess I am posting this to ask for any tips/helpful hints.

Is my well water fine? I use prime dechlorinator
Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hey tamdan93,

welcome to the forum and congrats on the new tank. Made sure the rhizome of the anubias and the javafern and not burried in the substrate. Consider 50% waterchanges 2 times a week for the first 2 weeks. Also, aim for a lights on period of 6h at the start.

Water well can work but can also have higher nitrates or metal levels. I would not worry very much about it.

And read a lot, be critical of what you read, filter what you learn.

All the best

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! The rhizome is the stem part of the plant correct? I'll make sure to check those tonight and dig them out a bit if they are buried.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdan93 View Post
Thanks for the info! The rhizome is the stem part of the plant correct? I'll make sure to check those tonight and dig them out a bit if they are buried.
Yes the rhizome is the "stem" part of the plant. You need to tie it or super glue it to something like a rock or driftwood. Also if you have well water you should not need dechlorinator.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The rhizome is the thick part that the leaf stems and roots grow out of. It can be anywhere really, just as long as the rhizome is not buried under the substrate. You can still plant it, just bury the roots and leave the rhizome above ground. Or as mentioned, you can tie or glue it. You could even float it if you wanted (best if the leaves are still facing up toward the light).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

ok, i'll definitely check that out when I get home, i planted them in a black gravel/sand mixture I made
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Those are nice looking tanks, should do well for you.

Get a bottle of iron/potassium supplement at the store next time you are there. Fish poop provides nitrogen and phosphorus but not the others. Just dose as directed, no more no less.

If you happen to have a light timer then use it. It's fine to have the light on twice a day if that's when you are in the room but no more than 8-10 hours a day total.

Water tests are fun if not essential. If there is ammonia and/or nitrite in the water then make a water change. The cloudy water is because bacteria are getting started growing and need to latch onto the filter media.

Clean gallon water jugs are very useful for making water changes for small tanks and buy 6' or so of airline tubing to use as your siphon. It's is possible you won't make any mess at all doing it this way.

A 2 gallon tank is likely fully stocked with 2 fish. You might add an Amano shrimp or nerite snail both because they are interesting critters and they eat algae. Or ghost shrimp are super cheap but some get larger or are predatory and you may have free snails that hitchhiked on the plants!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode