A cheaper clipon for a 2.6 nano cube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
A cheaper clipon for a 2.6 nano cube?

I recently picked up the AT20 Nano Tank (2.6 gallon cube) for less than $30. I plan on making it planted shrimp tank for RCS that will sit on our kitchen counter in the corner. I'm confident that the included LED will not do much more than illuminate, in that it won't grow.

Herein lies my struggle, I'd like a Finnex Planted+ Clipon, but those things are $43, which seems overkill for this, as it will be relatively low tech, I'll dose PPS and/or Glutaraldehyde if I need to, but won't unless it's an algae issue, as I'll be growing lower light plants. The space probably won't be big enough for java ferns though.

Are there some cheap LED lights that will grow low level plants that are secretly cheap (or am I going to spend $25+ no matter what)?

This is my fourth tank and spending another $100 or more to get it going isn't going to be quite, well, tolerated. I'd be happy if I could buy a book light or something similar that would work. The only thing is it has to look somewhat fit and finished otherwise it can't go in the kitchen.

Browsing online for clipon LED lights is a sea of possibilities and though I'd ask here first, as you ladies and gentlemen would know best.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by springcapture View Post
I recently picked up the AT20 Nano Tank (2.6 gallon cube) for less than $30. I plan on making it planted shrimp tank for RCS that will sit on our kitchen counter in the corner. I'm confident that the included LED will not do much more than illuminate, in that it won't grow.

Herein lies my struggle, I'd like a Finnex Planted+ Clipon, but those things are $43, which seems overkill for this, as it will be relatively low tech, I'll dose PPS and/or Glutaraldehyde if I need to, but won't unless it's an algae issue, as I'll be growing lower light plants. The space probably won't be big enough for java ferns though.

Are there some cheap LED lights that will grow low level plants that are secretly cheap (or am I going to spend $25+ no matter what)?

This is my fourth tank and spending another $100 or more to get it going isn't going to be quite, well, tolerated. I'd be happy if I could buy a book light or something similar that would work. The only thing is it has to look somewhat fit and finished otherwise it can't go in the kitchen.

Browsing online for clipon LED lights is a sea of possibilities and though I'd ask here first, as you ladies and gentlemen would know best.

Thank you.
I just bought a utility clamp lamp and clamped it on my fluval spec 3, only cost me $10 and I had a LED bulb laying around. I put a piece of foam floor mat on the back and the lamp is really stiff definitely no chance of falling especially since I have my lid on.
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
It's 2 watts. I'd try it and if you aren't happy then replace it.

The Finnex clip on is 4 watts for $24. That's not much more than a cheap LED desk lamp and you know the color is good for a planted tank. It is likely more light than you need, consider having floaters at first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post

The Finnex clip on is 4 watts for $24. That's not much more than a cheap LED desk lamp and you know the color is good for a planted tank. It is likely more light than you need, consider having floaters at first.
I would also agree with getting the Finnex clip on, I'm in Canada so I can't get the Finnex light for a good/reasonable price
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

You are better off with the finnex clip on

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post

This is what I'm thinking... I always find myself paying more for lights than I do the entire aquarium/tank setup. I also find when I spend less I always end up regretting it.

The Stingray is $24 and the Planted+ is $43. I like the ability do do moonlights (I have the old Planted+ and use the moonlights fairly often, and I use the custom colors on the 24/7 all the time, most notably red lights all night, which hasn't bothered the 15-gallon shrimp tank in our bedroom as far as I know).

Hmm.. I imagine in a few years custom LEDs will be a lot cheaper, but for now I guess ya'll have talked me into spending on the Finnex products once again.

Always good advice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by springcapture View Post

Thank you.
One or two of these would do the job. I have 2 on a Spec III and I have gotten good growth. They are on a cheap Fluval ramp timer so I get the whole sunrise/sunset thing. Out of the box they are a lot like a spot light but if you unscrew the lens it will increase the spread quite a bit. I think you can get them from kensfish.com for around $13. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode