I want to build a wabi kusa style tank - help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I want to build a wabi kusa style tank - help

Hey guys. Names Houston. Not really new to the forum, its just been so long since Ive been I dont remember my old login and the email I used is no longer, so.... hello again!

Anyhow, I have intentions to build a small nano tank and I would love to make it kind of wabi-kusa style, though its the look im going for not particularly the "style". I love that riparium style look with some nice immersed plants growing out the top, but also with some crypts or such growing in the tank as well.

I am not entirely certain this is the path I will take, but I really really like it, so I would like to try it.

Anyways, I would like to actually build my own tank. Typically for this style you only fill the aquarium half way and I dont love that look. So instead I was thinking of actually building a small shallow tank, like a nano frag tank kinda. I have never ventured into this realm before, so im a complete noob in that area.

I would like the tank to be kept small. I am 24 but still in school, and while I live in an apartment I tend to move around a bit so I would like this tank to be on the small end of things so that its more easily moved. Im thinking somewhere in a 3.5-6 gallon range. I really would just like to have a betta and thats it, maybe possibly some pygmy cories but thats just a maybe.

Annnywho. Could you guys help me out? Information on that wabi-kusa style is limited on the internet from what I can find. And like I said, I dont really care about the actual "style" (the style being a mud ball that you plant plants into and let grow wildly) I just like the pond style look. So. I was thinking to build a shallow tank and then maybe using a pot in the back corner to hold my immersed plants, then have some rocks and wood to hide the container and plant crypts around it.
I am open to other plant options. I will not be injecting CO2 to this tank. Light will be a CFL bulb and probably some decent sunlight. I know sunlight can really spike the algae growth but im willing to give it a shot for my above water plants. With that I would love something that possibly flowers? That would be sick.

Anyways im done rambling. Any directions you could point me in would be fantastic. I would like to get the tank built soon- next couple of days, so if you could point me in the right DIY section that would be great- and ill keep looking on my own as well. But suggestions for dimensions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey, look on pinterest, there are some nice examples and tutorials....

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey! Yep pinterest has been my friend as of late- actually thats how I discovered the entire idea in the first place. But most of the articles I have found lead back to the same few.... That being said I will continue the search!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
Welcome back, Houston. I did a quick tutorial of how I put mine together here here. It's been a few years since I've kept one, so I don't know if other/better methods are being used now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
pweifan's look good!

I used slightly different technique for mine:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...t-we-grew.html

You could put your wabi ball on the substrate, or put it on a rock or branch in the shallow aquarium.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I just put a link to my nano tank's journal into my signature.

It has above and below water growth based on a wood structure. My idea is a dead stump with exposed roots covered with moss below and shade plants growing on the dead stump above. The roots ended up being very heavy and about half the substrate is shaded but I was planning a decorative sandy substrate and didn't want a lot of plants growing there anyway. I did plant a weed crypt from the big tank and some stray bits of Marsilea I hope will creep around but not cover the sand completely.

Many people do fill the tank completely. One reason not to is jumping fish. My nano has a good amount of the surface covered with floating plants which should help. Look at CrazyDaz's incredible tank and Tom's Bucket o Mud for instance.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/7077178-post331.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/6259697-post778.html

I was completely floored by this incredible tank as well but it is only partly filled. Was considering modifying my plan by making an AIO just not going to the top and planting the filter area completely.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8498410-post1.html

I built this tank from old tank panes that were on hand. If this tank fails or I get tired of looking at my bad silicone joints and green glass it really won't cost all that much to buy a nice looking low iron cube to replace it. It might last though, 1/4" glass for a 15x12x12" tank is overdoing it a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great for all the great links! I checked them all out. That will definitely be useful, thanks!

Houston
Idaho/Alaska
Traveler, adventurer, movie watch, book reader, fish lovin dude

Tags
betta, diy, nano, planted, wabi-kusa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode