Do Aqua Cube Glass 45p Office Scape (Updated 10/10/2016) - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 6 Post By BJRuttenberg
  • 2 Post By BJRuttenberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Do Aqua Cube Glass 45p Office Scape (Updated 10/10/2016)

Update: 10/10/2016 - Cleaned the glass (forgot to clean the back though), and cleaned the hardware. Gave a small trim and water change. Need to scrub rocks next!

Update: 3/3/16

Back in the hobby after about 4 years away. Decided to set up my old Do Aqua tank at my office. Here's the hard scape and initial planting.

This is my first shot at using cosmetic sand in a scape, so suggestions for maintaining are welcome. Also, if anyone has suggestions for doing minimally invasive water changes, I'm open to learning...old school siphon and dump is a bit of a mess at the office.

I'll update as growth progress.

Tank Dimensions: 45w x 27d x 30h cm
Substrate: ADA Amazonia & Substrate Source sand (eBay store)
CO2: 1bps paintball setup
Plants: Needle Leaf Java Fern, X-Mas Moss, Fissidens, Anubias Petite nana, HC, Glossostigma, Crypt parva, Crypt balansae, Rotala indica, monosolenium tenerum, Riccardia chamedryfolia, bolbitis heudelotii

Started by putting some golden ratio marks on the glass as guides and laying the dividers for the substrate.

Placed rocks. Sorry for the bad picture.

Finishing the hard scape.

Planted

1/14 - water cleared up a bit.

3/3/16 - First Trim and added Amanos (thanks @Mango) and a couple of Ottos

-BJ
Sent using TapaTalk

• Newest Journal:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • My Visit to the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery -
    -

Last edited by BJRuttenberg; 10-13-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: 10/10 Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think that looks great! It looks very natural 👍

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks awesome!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do Aqua / ADA 45p Office Scape

Thanks y'all! I was contemplating putting the bolbitis at the bottom of the wood it is currently on and leaning the wood back towards the rear of the tank. I'm also contemplating darker colored stem plants in the back to give the tank more depth. Any thoughts?

-BJ
Sent using TapaTalk
Opare and Opare like this.

• Newest Journal:
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    -

Last edited by BJRuttenberg; 02-17-2016 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do Aqua Cube Glass 45p Office Scape (Updated 03/03/2016)

Updated 3/3/15:

I have removed the branch that was front-left of center due to stability issues and obstruction.

Everything seems to be filling in nicely and growth has been fairly robust. The light is a Chihiros 451, and is my first foray into LED - CFLs were the thing last I was in the hobby. I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed with both intensity of the light and the growth of the plants under the LED. I'm 100% LED from here forward!

I do not keep any kind of heater on the tank at present, which is a first - hopefully the livestock will fare we'll, the plants seen unaffected. My biggest concern is ambient temperature swings since I have no control of the office thermostat.

I plan to introduce fish next week. I'm leaning to Celestial Pearl Danios, Cardinal Tetras, or White Cloud Mountain Minnows. I want something subtle but eye catching, since it is in my office. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for reading!

-BJ
Sent using TapaTalk

• Newest Journal:
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    -
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

CPDanios and White Clouds would fare well if the tank averages 70 degrees and no lower. Cardinals need warmer water, like 77 degrees. Neon tetras would be a fair game if you could keep the water at 72 degrees, but you are in Texas, and isn't your water rather hard with carbonates? Neons like soft water.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Planted Member

I would put something simple, least killifish. They would be fine with no heater.
Tanks like this make me wish I had desk job. But then I'd probably spend all day starring into the tank and get fired. I'm Better off swinging a hammer lol.

I put Dirt in my tanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@GrampsGrunge: Thanks for the info. The tap water in TX is hard but because of the plants I do 3/5 RO, 2/5 tap mix. Sounds like I'm going to need to add a heater. Most of the LFS use tap in their tanks and the fish have adjusted.
@Wildernan204: I never thought of Killifish. Are they easy to keep? How many do you think could I cram into a tank this size (about 8 gal) while running an eheim 2213 canister?

-BJ
Sent using TapaTalk

• Newest Journal:
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    -
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJRuttenberg View Post
@GrampsGrunge: Thanks for the info. The tap water in TX is hard but because of the plants I do 3/5 RO, 2/5 tap mix. Sounds like I'm going to need to add a heater. Most of the LFS use tap in their tanks and the fish have adjusted.

-BJ
Sent using TapaTalk
Little concerned about your use of 'crammed' numbers of fish in a small volume tank. Killifish are best kept in single species tanks, and should not be kept in an open topped tank, they're great jumpers.

White Clouds, if you can keep your temperature swings down to about a 5~6 F degree swing nightly, would be OK without heaters as long as you know that the office is consistent in it's temperature swings.

Otherwise I'd install a discrete ( small) temperature adjustable 25 watt one for backup, set to 70 degrees.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank looks great! Love the aquascaping.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nailed it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do Aqua Cube Glass 45p Office Scape (Updated 10/10/2016)

I decided to add eight Glo-Light tetras to the mix. They seem to be a good fit, albeit a bit large for the tank. Even though I do not have a heater on the tank, the fish do not seem affected by temp. fluctuations.

Also, I ripped out the foreground on the right side, and am trying to establish a glossostigma monoculture. It has been slow growing, but coverage seems to double with every weekly water change.

My greatest difficulty with this tank has been establishing a sense of depth. I think the multi-layered hardscape helps in part, however, I feel like true depth is still lacking.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or tips are welcome.

• Newest Journal:
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    -

Last edited by BJRuttenberg; 10-26-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode