Tell me about dwarf puffers. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Dwarf puffers don't have a beak or teeth. And they can get mts out of their shells if they put in the work (its easier to get a ramshorn, pond, bladder snail out than an mts). My husband's boy will eat mts but usually only if he can nab them before they get the trap door closed (dwarf puffers are fast) but he's a lazy puffer.
I would not keep any large species snails or shrimp with a dwarf puffer. I've heard of them pecking the larger species apart slowly eating them alive... not a nice way to go..

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If they don't have a beak or teeth, how do they bite off pieces of snail and eat them alive?

I think I'm going to try a single dwarf puffer in my new 12 gallon tank, with a colony of MTS. I have a lot of pond snails and ramshorns in my other tanks if the MTS aren't enough.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
If they don't have a beak or teeth, how do they bite off pieces of snail and eat them alive?

I think I'm going to try a single dwarf puffer in my new 12 gallon tank, with a colony of MTS. I have a lot of pond snails and ramshorns in my other tanks if the MTS aren't enough.
Watch the video I posted and you'll see. (Along with how much they leave behind in the shell, as someone else mentioned)

The strike > bite > slurp the snail out, and leave whatever is left inside the shell.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

I have one dwarf puffer in my 30G and he does wonderful job keeping my bladder pond snail population under control.
The bottom of the tank is littered with white shells slowly dissolving ...
And he is cool to watch when he is hunting or hovering around.

I had another one before in my 3G at work, he cleaned out all the snails and I had to bring them from home. He also did eat frozen brine shrimp but definitely preferred snails. Then one day he disappeared. I have never found the body. I suspect the ghost shrimp I had a the time.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would also like to set up a dwarf puffer tank. Would 2 be too many for a 10 gallon? And where should I get some pond snails? (I know crazy right)

Will Ogburn
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugburnTanks View Post
I would also like to set up a dwarf puffer tank. Would 2 be too many for a 10 gallon? And where should I get some pond snails? (I know crazy right)
I think 2 in 10G will be fine but I would plant it densely so they would not fight.

My pond snail arrived with some order of plants off eBay.
But you can try your LFS. My fave store, Neptune Aquatics has them for sale.

I also saw pond snails for sale on eBay.

I would det up small 2.5G plastic tank on a side and just breed snails there and transfer few of them (for every puffer you have) to puffer tank for feeding.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugburnTanks View Post
I have 3 in my densely planted 10g. They each claim an area and would chase the other one away from it. So I drop snail into each area to feed them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode