Using Nighttime Heating Bulbs on Betta Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Using Nighttime Heating Bulbs on Betta Tank?

So I have a delightful little female betta named Tidbit who is in my 3 gal, heavily planted Walstad tank. Her tank is right next to my Aerogarden (with fluorescent grow lights) so her temps stay around 79.5 most of the day, and then go down to 76ish at night when the lights go out (our apartment temps are pretty solid). Unfortunately, we've had a recent cold spell that has the temp inside going down from there, and I don't want my little lady to get cold.

I've read too many horror stories about the mini heaters on small tanks cooking fish, so I was wondering if a nighttime reptile bulb would work for her. Obviously, distance from the tank could be adjusted so she wouldn't be too warm. I don't want to give her a normal heating bulb since bettas aren't big fans of bright light, especially all night long. Has anyone used a reptile bulb to heat a small tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have not used a reptile bulb, but I have noticed that the lights over the tank can be enough heat during the day.
At night I have used a 5 watt heater that is on all the time. The trick is to put it on a timer so it comes on when the lights are off. These timers can even be set to go on and off several times through the night, if you want to.

I simply plugged in the heater when I fed the fish dinner, then unplugged it in the morning when I fed them and turned on the light. Temperature was a lot more constant with the little heater. This was in a 3 gallon Eclipse tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a betta female in a 3 gal with a good 100W heater. As long as it doesn't leak and is inserted as per the manufacturers instructions, it will probably last me another 15 years, which is how long I have had it. She loves snuggling against the heater part when it is on.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've used those bulbs but never for a 3 gallon fish tank. It will probably work, they do heat up pretty well and don't give off much light. I've also never kept a betta fish so I'm unsure of the requirements they need besides calm waters. If you do try it just make sure to watch it so it doesn't heat up the water too much, you said the tank is heavily planted so if the light is a little bright she should have plenty of places that are nice and dark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29g~ Guppies, Blue Pearl Shrimp & 2 Nerites
~ Amazon Sword ~ Anubias Congensis ~ Red Ludwigia
~ Duckweed ~ Dwarf Water Lettuce ~ Moneywort
~ Egeria Densa ~ Java Moss ~ Corkscrew Vals
~ Marimo Moss Ball ~ Salvinia ~Java Moss ~Pearl Weed
~ Red Sword Plant ~ Anubias Petite ~ Phoenix Moss
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think it'd be consistent enough, but I have no experience with them so I could be wrong. I'm opting for a small, adjustable heater when I set up my husband's three gallon punch bowl. Seems the horror stories are about those always on ones. At least the ones I've read.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Unless you already purchased them, there are some cheap betta heaters. Check out amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-Submersible-Heater-Aquarium/dp/B00AE23Z88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451404882&sr=8-2&keywords=betta+heater
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Unless you already purchased them, there are some cheap betta heaters. Check out amazon!

Marina Tank Heater : Amazon.com: Marina Betta Submersible Heater for Aquarium
That is one of the "always on" heaters that can be such a problem. Unless your room's temperature is very stable, they're not a good choice imo.
If you're going to buy a heater online, be sure to read the comments. This one's description is misleading, but in the comments you'll find that has no thermostat and simply stays on.

I'm fairly experienced with fish, but new to planted tanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBabe View Post
That is one of the "always on" heaters that can be such a problem. Unless your room's temperature is very stable, they're not a good choice imo.
If you're going to buy a heater online, be sure to read the comments. This one's description is misleading, but in the comments you'll find that has no thermostat and simply stays on.
Sorry, I meant to link this one. This is the one I have in my Fluvial Spec (5 gallons).

http://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-50-Watt-Quartz-Submersible-Thermostat/dp/B005440HLO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1451424362&sr=8-12&keywords=betta+heater
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:41 PM
SDK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
You don't need a heater with the temps you indicated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode