I'm thinking of adding cories, but..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm thinking of adding cories, but.....

There are places on my substrate that gather debris. I have play sand substrate. Around the roots of a couple plants there are collections of fish waste and java moss that has fallen off the tree. I just think of it as fertilizer. It is very difficult to remove and I'm happy to ignore it, but if it's going to hurt a cory, I'd rather just leave those guys out than try to battle it. The majority of the sand seems clean to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've kept corys on "dirty" substrates (debris/detritus/mulm) and never had any barbel erosion or any other damage or infections.

As long as your water quality is great, you should be fine. (other stress factors can weaken fish's immune system, which can allow infections to set in, but if all is well, you should be have no problems)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
I've kept corys on "dirty" substrates (debris/detritus/mulm) and never had any barbel erosion or any other damage or infections.

As long as your water quality is great, you should be fine. (other stress factors can weaken fish's immune system, which can allow infections to set in, but if all is well, you should be have no problems)
Thanks! This was exactly my concern.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had similar concerns, so thanks for posting this. I've had quite a few sterbais or habrosus get fungal infections in the past, and die in a horrible ball of untreatable fuzz. Not fun, and put me off keeping them. Other fish seemed unaffected, and the only trigger seemed to be forgetting to plug the heater in after a water change.

How varied does their diet have to be to stay healthy? Just feeding pellets was another thing I considered. (sorry OP if this is highjacking)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hijack away. I'd be happy to get more tips on keeping those guys.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mines like to shove themselves into those crevices where craps are collected.

As for food, I feed mine shrimp pellets, algae wafer, zuchini and whatever fish food that make it to the bottom. Occasionally they get tubiflex worms as treat (the freeze dried cube, use plant weight to sink it), they go banana over this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If cories died from living over gunky substrate, they'd all be extinct in the wild. A quick Google search for their natural habitat yields photos of them over mud and leaf litter, and it does not look clean. If your water quality's good and you aren't keeping them over glass shards, they'll be fine.
My albino cories are over a mixture of clay and sand with plenty of leaf litter, and they all have lovely healthy barbels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cool oxygen rich water,regular weekly water changes, produce best result's for me.
I feed all kind's of flake food and small pellet food's which I keep in tupperware container in fridge.I buy small container's of food and mix it all up together.
No bloodworm's decreased problem's with many species of fishes I have kept, particularly cory's and Angelfish.
Much in the way of food's out there besides these sewer larvae to offer fishes.
Might be coincidence,but I cannot ignore my own observation's.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I find that feeding cories can be difficult with a large population in the tank. I have 50+ fish in my tank and only 8-10 cories. I try to feed my fish on one side with floaters or sinking pellets and then drop some pellets or algae wafers for my cory cats. Mine are not very aggressive during feeding time and I've lost a couple of them. My diagnosis was unclear. They were pretty skinny when pulled out of the tank though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I too find it concerning when wanting to feed my corys. So most of the time just when the lights fade to off I then drop some pellets and broken up wafers in as the other fish are adapting to the dark. Other wise my blackskirt tetras just scoop up the food and the corys don't get much.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just drop the food in on top of my powerhead, that way it blows all over the tank, my fish are lazy so the corys get super fat from the leftovers.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you will find too many people with different experiences. I believe it has a lot to do with the way corys are bred and what conditions they grew up in. Mine seem to be very active in 80 degree water, and I don't have a full school of the same corys either but they get a long and play all together. The only problem is they seem to be extra sensitive to dirty substrate. I changed over to a very thin layer of sand and noticed a huge difference. Everyone seems to experience differently.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been thinking about this feeding thing. My solution? Pvc pipe. Get a pipe about the same length as the height of your tank. Hold it with one end almost to the bottom. Add sinking food into the pipe and voila! I think this'll work for me, but my only fish that searches the bottom is my betta.

Should this work? Or am I missing something?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Should work with the pipe, I've heard of folks doing that.

I still struggle with my personal experiences with cories (sterbai, habrosus) and fungal infection, but I'm sure it's down to water quality and stress.

The same tanks that happily supported cardinals/male bettas/otos just seemed to end up with a cory dying of body fungal blooms every couple of months. Looked like a pretty terrible way to go.

The sterbais never seemed to be happy, since they hid almost all the time. There were plenty of them (10 at highest), but they kept hidden in the dense plants.

I'd love to add a school of a dozen pygmaeus to my 90 (along with the 50 otos and half dozen farlowellas), but the remembered fungal issues hold me back just a touch.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

It used to be I couldn't keep cory's. They died for unknown (at the time) reasons. Then I started keeping a very clean tank, with no substrate, and they thrived. I've since moved them to a tank with pool filter sand, which I keep super clean, and they are fine. Looking back, I think the dirty gravel they laid in most of the time was the problem. If you keep a clean tank and substrate, they are happy. I also found that they love to swim long lengths of the tank, so a 55g where they can go from one end to the other keeps them active and happy. In smaller tanks, they just hung in corners, not really swimming much. Open space keeps them happy I think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode