Sister's tank...eep! Help stocking? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Daisy Mae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sister's tank...eep! Help stocking?

So...my sister's betta died, poor thing. And now my parents want me to restock the tank. Except there's one problem. It's a 2.5 gallon tank with no filter. My sister hates shrimp/invertebrates. AND she wants another betta. I could always refuse, but then they'll just go ahead and buy another betta, to refuel the cycle. The tank's got a heater (thank goodness), but that's about it. Minimal lighting, and a few bamboo plants (leaves out of water). Any ideas? Also, needs very minimum care (like, only plant filtration, and minimal water changes...every 3-6 months). Must also look "pretty".

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Get her a plastic fish. If she won't take care of her pets she does not get them.

You could take over the tank.

You could add a little bubbler to circulate the water. Maybe she would like a bubbler, and the gentle water movement would bring more oxygen to the fish, and equalize the temperature throughout the tank.

Do the water changes yourself.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Get her a bigger tank and a filter with some of your seeded biomedia for Christmas!

Current conditions just aren't ideal for any livestock really.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

+1 to the above posts
I have this exact same problem, except the tank is a 10g with 5 comet goldfish, the smallest is 3 inches, the largest almost 6. The filter is barely running to the point where water just dribbles out. I try to convince my parents, and they are so stubborn that they say "they are alive, aren't they?" And they end the discussion. I have a feeling that your parents think the same way. Try to pick up a tank at the petco dollar/gallon sale and an aquaclear filter. Give her a betta and some bio-media for the filter and a new tank. Otherwise, do what Diana said, get her a plastic fish, or try to explain how there is much more to keeping fish than a container full of water.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't intend to be mean, just calling it as I see it. Sounds like bad behaviour is being rewarded here. Which only leads to more bad behaviour because your sister is being taught that it is acceptable.

I wholeheartedly agree with @Diana - if your sister can't take care of her pets then she shouldn't get or be given them.

Keeping fish in an unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank with minimal care? Tall order! Actually, more of an unrealistic wish.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

How old is your sister? You may be able to explain the science of an aquarium to her.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welp. Figured I'd get that answer, and it's basically true. It's only when /my/ fish die, that my parents get onto me (and I'm somewhat convinced it's because they're more expensive than a "simple" betta).
@Diana-how about one of those peppermint angels? I heard they're about .001% the price of a real one! We basically agreed that it's "my" tank, but she gets to do what she wishes with it (basically, make her brother do all the menial work while she makes me do all the water changes and enjoy the look). The tank's on her desk, and is basically a paperweight, so adding a bubbler wouldn't work.
@WaterLife-she doesn't want another tank, bigger or smaller. There's a perfectly nice 10 gallon tank, that I'd be perfectly willing to make into a SE Asian biotope (think boraras, the betta, and mini loaches), but nope, she just wants the 2.5 gallon because it "fits on my desk." I could make her a perfectly wonderful tank...if she'd let me.
@Daisy Mae, basically yes. It's only exacerbated by the fact that bettas live for a year in those poor conditions, and I took such good care of them that they'd last even longer, so they're all convinced that the betta will live just as long in dark, cold conditions...
@sohankpatel, neither she nor my parents are willing to even read about the nitrogen cycle. Before the 2.5 gallon tank, the bettas would live in either a glass bowl, or a kritter keeper. She's actually as old as you are (15) and my parents and I still take care of and play with her dog (even though I've got allergies!). Thankfully(maybe?) she's in biology, so she should be learning about the nitrogen cycle (willing or not). I gave her test strips to test the water with...the container's still full.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to say, but probably nothing will help. My parents bought my little sister a puppy when she was 15. Didn't take it outside to go do its business, didn't train it. I had to take the puppy for walks, my mom fed her. I had to take care of her when my sis went to the homecoming dance.
Nothings changed. My sister keeps buying pets then giving them to my parents. My dad was paying her bar tabs, rent and all expenses weeeks before her wedding. 26 years old she is now. Sorry to be so negative...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't understand why some people buy kids a puppy and actually expect them to take care of it. I am allergic to dogs as well, and my parents would never buy a dog for my sister due to that and the fact that it would end up being taken care of by everyone except her. I have to agree with @Fish Em , nothing is going to help. It bothers me alot to think that people dont even know about the pets they keep before buying them. What is the age gap between you and your sister? Maybe you could just make the tank "disappear" long enough for her to lose interest.
Also, Fish Em, my parents would make me live in a box before they payed my rent for me!

Edit: The betta lives for a year under those conditions right? So they don't see how quickly they actually die? How about you just stop doing water changes, and (I know how bad this sounds) let the fish die? When it keeps dying so fast, they may actually question their logic and change they way they keep the betta.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well, the reality is that people need training.

If they do not get taught life skills at a young age, then it is harder to learn these life skills as adults. Especially if they are surrounded by enablers.

I do not mean to preach, far from it.

I am hoping to at least reach some people and encourage them to not accept bad behaviour from friends and family.

That's enough from me on the topic.
sohankpatel and sohankpatel like this.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode