Sick guppy? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mistergreen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sick guppy?

As I was looking at my tank yesterday, I noticed one of my guppies had a flesh-looking protrusion coming out of her anal area. I thought she might be about to give birth, so I kept an eye on her. After about an hour, one of my Black Phantom Tetras raced up to her and started chasing after her.....picking at that spot. He was successful in getting a mouthful and pulled out what looked to be 4-6 inches of a very white, tube looking substance. All of the fish immediately went crazy and the Black Phantom sucked down whatever it was that came out of the guppy. I did get a pic of the initial protrusion, but was unable to get one of the stuff that he pulled out of the guppy. She lasted about an hour or so afterwards and then died. Any idea what happened?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151212_184108.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	558002  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
keep an eye out for internal parasites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

More likely than not, your black phantom has the parasite now. I would medicate all the fish to be on the safe side.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
keep an eye out for internal parasites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBabe View Post
More likely than not, your black phantom has the parasite now. I would medicate all the fish to be on the safe side.
What should I be looking for? What type of symptoms or parasites? & what medication should be used?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've never had to medicate for internal parasites, so I'm not sure what meds to use, but white or clear stringy poop is a symptom.

I'm fairly experienced with fish, but new to planted tanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:28 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Not eating, sunken stomach, white stringy poop, worm protrusion from the anus.

The meds depends on the parasite. Some are worms, some are protozoans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ejendro and ejendro like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Common de-wormers/anti-parasitic meds are Metronidazole (API General Cure, Seachem MetroPlex/Aquazole) and Praziquantel (Hikari PraziPro, some amount in API General Cure).

I think Praziquantel pretty much only does internal parasites and flukes. I believe Metronidazole does a little more, treating internal parasites, protozoa and also hexamita and some other bacteria. So I would recommend Metronidazole in this case. Both are plant safe and pretty well tolerated by fish. I think they might be safe with inverts, but not sure.

Medicated foods are more effective and faster acting, IF the fish actually eat the medicated foods.
Kensfish sells flakes and sticks medicated with Metronidazole, but you can make your own by soaking food in a mixture of Metro, Seachem Focus (binder), Seachem GarlicGuard (entices/attracts fish to eat the food -masks med taste/smell), and the food in a tiny amount of water (just enough to cover food and absorb without excess water).

Again that is if the fish are eating it. Medicating the water column is not as effective, but still works.

The fleshy sac hanging out I think was the anal glands and some intestine protruding out the anal vent. So yes, sounds like she had the parasite for quite some time and it looks painful. The stringy stuff the other fish pulled out of her might of been her fecal matter or her actual intestines. Sounds and looks to have been extremely painful.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Common de-wormers/anti-parasitic meds are Metronidazole (API General Cure, Seachem MetroPlex/Aquazole) and Praziquantel (Hikari PraziPro, some amount in API General Cure).

I think Praziquantel pretty much only does internal parasites and flukes. I believe Metronidazole does a little more, treating internal parasites, protozoa and also hexamita and some other bacteria. So I would recommend Metronidazole in this case. Both are plant safe and pretty well tolerated by fish. I think they might be safe with inverts, but not sure.

Medicated foods are more effective and faster acting, IF the fish actually eat the medicated foods.
Kensfish sells flakes and sticks medicated with Metronidazole, but you can make your own by soaking food in a mixture of Metro, Seachem Focus (binder), Seachem GarlicGuard (entices/attracts fish to eat the food -masks med taste/smell), and the food in a tiny amount of water (just enough to cover food and absorb without excess water).

Again that is if the fish are eating it. Medicating the water column is not as effective, but still works.

The fleshy sac hanging out I think was the anal glands and some intestine protruding out the anal vent. So yes, sounds like she had the parasite for quite some time and it looks painful. The stringy stuff the other fish pulled out of her might of been her fecal matter or her actual intestines. Sounds and looks to have been extremely painful.
Yes, she looked like she was in great distress. I will get the meds and treat accordingly to try and block this off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode