Cory Feeding - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cory Feeding

In my planted 20G I only have a few fish. One beta, one small pleco, a dozen or so RCS and two corys. I'm concerned that the corys might not get enough food, because one died the other day. He was a little less than two years old. I have only had the pair in this tank for a month or so before one died, with getting a replacement for the one that died last weekend. When I drop pellets in the snails and shrimp get at them quickly. Do you think there is enough waste from the few other fish I have for the cory's to feed on? I have purchased probably close to ten different types of food for them hoping to see them go right at it as soon as I drop the food in with no luck. Maybe they get a tail end of the pellets at night after the lights go out??

Fluval Spec V
Imagitarium 3.7G
Marineland 10G Half-Moon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is what I do because I've had the same concerns. Just when the lights go out I drop in the food for the corys that way the other fish have yet to adjust to the dark and do not see the food as it floats down to the bottom. Having a pleco is a different story, it's going to find the food sooner or later same with the snails. My corys have to compete with about 20 or so tetras.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I can't say for sure if your cory starved to death or if it was do to another cause.

Do the corys look really skinny (particularly look at the belly area)? You can examine their poop as well.

Corys normally feed openly. They usually aren't afraid to come out, venture around the tank and eat while the light is on, they don't have to wait for the light to turn off.
Having only 2 corys might explain them not feeding openly. They might be stressed out because their group is too small (they are a social fish and should be in groups of at least 5, and you have the room for that many + more).

The corys could be stressed for other reasons, maybe sick with some infection, or has internal parasites/worms. Or maybe it is afraid of the tankmates, you, or whatever, causing them to be stressed and not behave and feed as normal.

If they aren't stressed, but are hungry, you would see them venturing around, sifting around, trying to find food. If they are starving/skinny, and you don't see them doing that, then they are stressed for one reason or another.

You can try spot feeding (dropping food directly near corys) and/or just feed more. People worry about overfeeding, but really, as long as you have enough biomedia, then that extra food really is just extra bioload and the filter should be able to handle it, just like adding more fish (bioload).

I've seen the difference in feeding behaviors in fish that are fed too much, just enough or too little. If your fish are "super excitedly"/chaotically gobbling up the food, then that is too little (they are seriously competing for the fish as to not starve, because they know, not enough gets fed to everyone, which then leads to the less competitive fish to starve -usually bottom dwellers and "shy"/slow-eating fish). If the fish rather ignore the food and a lot goes to waste, then that is too much (not hungry/already full, assuming they do eat/like that food). They should gather and calmly/peacefully eat together, and not have it look like a store opening Black Friday sale stampede/rush. You don't have to feed so much that all the fish are stuffed full, but all fish should be fed enough that they don't have to compete or starve. Even if you have slow eaters/grazers, there should be enough food left after the faster eaters get their fill. Nocturnal feeders as well, but it would be better to feed at night just so the food isn't "rotted" by the time they get to it.

By the way, Corys pretty much eat anything, so if they aren't eating, then they probably are stressed or sick. (fish can stress to the point that they don't eat and starve to death).
And corys really are not that shy and normally eat their share of food even if snails and shrimp are feasting on it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

I drop a Hikari sinking wafer in. It has spiralina, krill, and silkworm. It tends to disappear, so I'm sure it gets eaten by the cories. Sometimes the betta gets a chunk. Sometimes. The cories have fat bellies so I'm sure they get enough.

They're a nice size wafer, about a quarter inch in diameter.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use wafers and pellets. With Wafers, I break it up and drop it in different areas of the tank. Same goes with the pellets (no need to break it up). I have a mixed community tanks (tetras, danios, Ram, BN pleco, and mollies). My cories are fat and happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Get more corys of the same type you already have and that will fix your problem.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have tried a few types of wafers also. Portions of them always seem to be there in the morning. Here are a few of the bottom feeder foods I have tried recently. New Era Catfish Pellets, New Era Plec Pellets, Cobalt Shrimp Pellets, Hikari Crab Cuisine, Hikari Micro Wafers, Hikari Algae Wafers, Omega One Veggie Rounds, Marineland Shrimp Wafers and Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. I'm at work going off of memory, but I think this is all of them. Maybe I will add a couple more of cory's. I've never had more than two at a time, and they have always seemed to cruise around together and be happy. I still haven't decided what other types of fish to add. I want to make sure I get something that won't eat my RCS, and most I read about still might go after them. I only had my Danios in the tank for a couple days, and I'm positive I am down five shrimp. I started with 18 and can only count 13 on a good day.

Fluval Spec V
Imagitarium 3.7G
Marineland 10G Half-Moon
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
Get more corys of the same type you already have and that will fix your problem.
Corys do well in a group, a swarm of them on a pellet/wafer clears the other fish out
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Corys do well in a group, a swarm of them on a pellet/wafer clears the other fish out
I bet it looks cool too.

Fluval Spec V
Imagitarium 3.7G
Marineland 10G Half-Moon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If all is well, corys are not shy and would not be so timid as to not eat and starve to death. They are not "shy" really, they won't hesitate to bump shrimp and snails out of the way to get at the food. As I mentioned, Corys will eat pretty much anything, so the food itself is not a problem.

While corys do prefer to be in groups, I doubt there being only 2, or even just 1 lone cory, that it would be enough of a stressor that the corys would not eat right out in the open. I've kept 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 sized-groups of corys in quarantine tanks and they still are just fine.

Just trying to point you in the right direction. It's not the food, or the corys themselves per se. It's disease/parasites, fear of tankmates, or some other stress factors going on, that is causing the corys to not eat and not do well/die.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had a decent school of corys (10 or so) and I started to lose one here and there. I found that dropping my sinking food after some floating food helped it reach the bottom for the corys. My barbs would eat anything on the way down, so I had to get them off to one side to feed my other fish.

Bump: I had a decent school of corys (10 or so) and I started to lose one here and there. I found that dropping my sinking food after some floating food helped it reach the bottom for the corys. My barbs would eat anything on the way down, so I had to get them off to one side to feed my other fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode