Aquarium bullies - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish really shouldn't be flushed. For one thing, there's a possibility of introducing pathogens into local waterways. For another, the poor thing is going to die a slow, painful death from the chemicals in the water. Fish aren't "evil" on purpose, they're just doing what their instincts are telling them to do. They don't deserve to die painfully for acting exactly how they're supposed to act. If there's no other option than killing them, blunt force to the skull or clove oil are both much more humane ways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
That title tho. lol

I've had a tiger barb that terrorized all of the other tiger barbs. However, I kept him until the end of his lifetime. If I ever had an aggressive fish, I would probably just return him back to the store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

My aquarium bullies were dwarf blue gourami's that massacred 90% my community & then fought themselves to death when I put them back in a tank by themselves. I fully intended to take them back to the store but they killed themselves b4 I could get there

My tanks are my sanity savers. I have 3 kids + husband & I run my own biz from home around family. 30gal planted community, 10gal planted betta community & 40gal Coral Reef tank.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-10-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: In

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I always think of the toilet as a poison roller coaster of death for a fish. I use it only to get rid of fish that have died. I've only killed a fish once. (A very old betta who was unable to swim upright any longer) Working as quickly as I could, scooped him out of the tank, keeping him wrapped in a very wet paper towel. Then I chopped off his head with the sharpest knife I had. Don't think I'd do that agian, but at the time, it was the fastest way I could think to do it. I admit, I cried for quite a while. Worst of all when I had to tell my husband I killed his fish. I just couldn't stand seeing the poor think struggling to move while floating sideways at the surface. I think killing him was the humane choice.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Em View Post
Lol!!!! @ Carmel YumYum

I thought my son's name for his fish Electricity Control was funny. That's too good.
^^ in my husband's defense the angel fish had an orange/red/brown dorsal that did look like the hue of carmel

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The worst circumstance is when the fish was originally somewhat mild tempered but over time it got nasty.
All my SAE's have done this when they get about 2".

I have a small outdoor pond and they get rehomed!!!!
But this year, I didn't get them out on time and Mn weather caught up with them! OOPs!

I bought two GBR's a month ago off a guy on another local forum. They turned nasty real quick! The male will even go after a net!

I posted them for sale on the same forum, original owner contacted me, said he missed them and wants to buy them back!
We make the swap tomorrow night! LOL..

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBabe View Post
I always think of the toilet as a poison roller coaster of death for a fish. I use it only to get rid of fish that have died. I've only killed a fish once. (A very old betta who was unable to swim upright any longer) Working as quickly as I could, scooped him out of the tank, keeping him wrapped in a very wet paper towel. Then I chopped off his head with the sharpest knife I had. Don't think I'd do that agian, but at the time, it was the fastest way I could think to do it. I admit, I cried for quite a while. Worst of all when I had to tell my husband I killed his fish. I just couldn't stand seeing the poor think struggling to move while floating sideways at the surface. I think killing him was the humane choice.
This is a very humane way of killing fish, so kudos for making a difficult choice to save the fish some pain.
For future reference, clove oil is a slower but less brutal-seeming method, and it's just as painless. The fish just go to sleep and don't wake back up.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Damn Bettababe. That should keep your husband in line at least. Way to send a message. You put the betta head on the pillow next to him while he slept? Lol. Damn. You cra cra. Lol.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Make a small batch of ice water. Tap water as cold as you can get it and float a lot of ice cubes in it. Let it stand for about 5 minutes and just stir the ice cubes a bit. Net the afflicted fish and place it in the container of ice water. Takes but a few seconds on even the largest of fish we keep in our tanks. The remains makes good garden fertilizer, but be sure to bury more than a few inches deep or critters will dig it up. Or put it in a plastic bag and put it in the trash.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daplantkilla View Post
Damn Bettababe. That should keep your husband in line at least. Way to send a message. You put the betta head on the pillow next to him while he slept? Lol. Damn. You cra cra. Lol.
Haha!
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
From Science Daily,

Quote:
Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Fish really shouldn't be flushed. For one thing, there's a possibility of introducing pathogens into local waterways. For another, the poor thing is going to die a slow, painful death from the chemicals in the water. Fish aren't "evil" on purpose, they're just doing what their instincts are telling them to do. They don't deserve to die painfully for acting exactly how they're supposed to act. If there's no other option than killing them, blunt force to the skull or clove oil are both much more humane ways.
I tend to agree with this. Even if they possibly/probably don't feel pain like humans do, the possibility of introducing pathogens or non-native flora or fauna into local waterways is reason enough to find another way. And why risk the off-chance that they do feel pain or suffer in some way, and your method causes or prolongs their suffering?

For my part, I utilize the grisly-but-humane decapitate-and-crush method.

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I used clove oil in a styrofoam cup one time.....

it ate through it and made a huge mess.

I did have a few bully fish - my Congo Tetras. when they got older and mature, despite having 10+ - they would constantly battle in my 120g. I sold them to the LFS and replaced them with the current stocklist of Glowlight Danios, Ember Tetras and Scarlet Badis

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-10-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Inappropriate content
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I used clove oil in a styrofoam cup one time.....

it ate through it and made a huge mess.
I've used clove oil for a tooth ache. (Works okay, but baking soda works better if you're curious.) The cotton ball it was soaked in sat against my ps4 controller for a bit and melted the plastic a little. Clove oil is serious stuff.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

My fish is a Black Piranha, i mean hes kind of bullyish? Although he leaves snails alone and hes never fed live food.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-10-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Inappropriate content

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode