wild altums for sale? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
wild altums for sale?

does anyone know where i can purchase wild altum angelfish or wild peruvian angelfish? i need an online store. IT would be best if they were smaller like 1'' to 3'' in size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

I saw some altums for sale recently on aquabid.com. I think the guy was selling 6 and the starting price was around $110.00 (shipping not included).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow thats crazy! i think ill just order some from a lfs

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:12 PM
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
There is nothing crazy about that at all. Altums and a lot of the other wild-caught fish from the acidic waters of the Amazon require a lot of work and attention especially when they first arrive. Those fish probably cost the seller close to $8 each after shipping and F&W inspection were added in. If the seller lost any fish at all during the process then their cost-per-fish increases a lot. Then figure the 2+ water changes per day for the first week, meds as needed, etc, etc. Most sellers guarantee live arrival so one little mishap and the seller is losing their shirt.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
FYI... they are all wild caught. As far as I know, they have never bred in captivity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Agreed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc View Post
There is nothing crazy about that at all. Altums and a lot of the other wild-caught fish from the acidic waters of the Amazon require a lot of work and attention especially when they first arrive. . . .
A great seller will go thru these extra steps to acclimate and treat the fish, helping to ensure your success. Not just ship them immediately on to you.

I've been reading that Bev, owner of The Amazon Basement, has been bringing in some wild Altums. She posts on the Apistogramma Forum, and is a sponsor there w/ her own sub-forum:

http://forum.apistogramma.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46
or
http://forum.apistogramma.com/index.php

Bev & Dale's website:
http://www.theamazonbasement.com/

No affiliation, whatsoever; just a satisfied customer. I've purchased many species of dwarf cichlids from them. (Apistogramma, Dicrossus, Nanochromis & GBR - all great quality & no losses.)

PS.
If you're balking at the thought of spending $110.00 on some fish, you're not ready for the more exotic stuff. Stick to domestic, tank breed angels! (Or the tetras and barbs available at the big box stores. )

$100 - $200.00 is nothing to spend for the rarer stuff. And sometimes - thru no fault of the breeder/importer - you're going to loose some fish. Good mail order suppliers will guarantee live arrival. But if a fish dies two weeks in, it's your loss! Spending $150 once, is one thing. Sometimes you'll end up paying that $150.00 again a second time - if you really want and are determined to keep certain fish!

I now always hedge my bet when ordering fish. If I want to breed a certain species, I no longer order just one pair, or one trio. I get a few extra. If I'm lucky and all survive, first shipping, then acclimation into my tanks, (establishing pecking orders - male/female aggression). Then I'll pass on the few extra to the monthly fish club auctions.

In the case of schooling fish, don't get just six. I'd get seven or eight, on larger species. Or up to a dozen on smaller species, ie, cardinal tetras. Often times the cost of the extra fish is less than the cost to pay again for overnight express shipping. (Overnight generally runs $35.00 - $45.00 per box.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Go with the wild Peruvians. They are still very beautiful but you don't have to pay for as much of the "coolness" premium as you do with altums. And the Peruvians can be breed, so you can get wild type which are tank breed wilds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
peruvian angels cannot be compared to altums. i currently have 3 large altums and needing to add more. let me tell you they are heartbreakers. i bought 14 dime size altums a month ago and all died within 2 weeks. if you get altums make sure you buy extra's cuz some will die on you. and spending 100+ is nothing for beautiful rare fish. you dont often get to see altums. some people has never seen them in person. im happy to have 3. sure they cost a lot and die easily....but the reward is so great when your able to keep them alive.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Smile

Hi I just bought 12 altums and spent 400.00. This fish are not for the faint of heart. I have them in a smaller tank as i set up a 150 planted tank for them. Ed
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
If you keep the gh and especially the kh down as low as possible for the first month or so you'll probably experience far fewer troubles. I also find the slow drip method of acclimation results in more deaths vs having a tank ready with soft water and just tossing them in once the temps are equalized.

IMHO, if you don't have ro water and you get Altums, you're flirting with disaster. That's not saying that they can't adjust to harder water but the process can easily take weeks and sometimes months. Trust me, 15 minutes in a bucket isn't going to do it in most cases and hitting them with a ton of meds when they are already stressed just makes matters worse.

If you see them twitching or find small opaque spots in the thin membranes of their dorsal fins it's time to drop whatever it is you're doing and do a water change. If you see fungus, fin rot, or ammonia burn, I find that a salt bath is pretty tough to beat as far as quick cure.

I also find keeping Altums and many other wild-caught fish in a bare bottom tank with some plastic plants allows me to observe and catch the fish easier if need be. Another advantage is the limited hiding places available forces the fish to get accustomed to me walking by the tank all time and they will actually eat from my hand in a very short time. Afterwards, when they do get moved to a heavily planted tank they are not as prone to hide everytime somebody enters the room.

If a person can be patient and attentive for a month or so and provide the care these fish deserve, there is no reason they can't have the pleasure of keeping one of the most majestic freshwater fish there is for many years.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
+ 1 on the amazon basement. Bev has some nice fish and goes through great pains to make sure they are healthy and well before selling them...I also have no affiliation, just another satisfied customer, I have bought most of my fishroom from them!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode