How long can Ich last without a host? - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (43/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
How long can Ich last without a host?

I need to treat my fish tank with ich. I was wondering if I move my plants to a fishless tank and some ich tomonts happen to hitchhike over. Would they eventually die off without host? Or would they stay alive until there's another host available?


Thanks, Tony
Tonysok is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Guest
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 22
A heater speeds up the growth of ICH. And I believe it is on the fish 24 hours. I also heard ICH is attracted to light, black out the tank kills ICH.

Also ICH can lay dormant.
secondaccess is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (117/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysok View Post
I need to treat my fish tank with ich. I was wondering if I move my plants to a fishless tank and some ich tomonts happen to hitchhike over. Would they eventually die off without host? Or would they stay alive until there's another host available?


Thanks, Tony

They will die without host. You need to raise the temp to around 82F to speed the ich cycle.

Regards,
Pedro
milalic is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gilroy
Posts: 136
three-four days between hosts...
taekwondodo is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,403
Personally, I'd leave a tank fallow for at least a month, even with warmer temps. There's actually many strains of ich, and I doubt that we've studied them all to know for sure the differences between the all.

Ich don't need light to reproduce, that's a myth. People darken their tanks commonly while treating fish just to reduce stress.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lauraleellbp is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (43/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Thanks for all the input. I've removed all my plants from the tank and raise the temp to 82F. Now I'm just debating whether to add salt or not.
Tonysok is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,403
What kind of fish are in the tank?

And what are you doing with the plants?





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lauraleellbp is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (43/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
I have a pair of GBR, 3 Black Molly, and 10 Fancy Male Guppy. The plants are in a 5 gallon bucket with tank water. There's Java fern, Anubias nana, Cpyt wendtii, and Sunset hydro in there. I was planning to move them into my shrimp tank with Ottos after 4 days since it was mention ich could only survive 4 days between hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
What kind of fish are in the tank?

And what are you doing with the plants?
Tonysok is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 54
I would have to agree with lauralee on this one. I would run the tank fallow(fishless) for at least a month. Heck, even some say that would be rushing it, and to be on the safe side, go fishless for at least 6 weeks to be sure that it goes through it's life-cycle and without a fish host to help it reproduce, it would die off. I wouldn't bother moving your plants at all, as ich can live for a brief period of time on wet surfaces you risk spreading the contamination to your other tanks that come in contact with even the slightest amount of water from the infected tank.
I would not place them in your tank with the ottos. Also I've never heard of getting rid of ich by going dark.
Leviathan_XE is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
KDahlin's Avatar
 
PTrader: (31/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondodo View Post
three-four days between hosts...
I really don't think this is accurate. Especially if you maintain the temp at 82 degrees. They stop reproducing at 86 degrees and it's generally recommended for heat treatment to have the infected fish at this temperature, raising it slowly, no more than 1 or 2 degrees per hour, and maintaining this temp for a minimum of 3 days after all signs of the parasites have disappeared; or 10 days. Most tropical fish can handle this just fine as long as you provide plenty of aeration (add an airstone and agitate the surface, and don't add any medications concurrently to further stress the fish).

Blacking out the tank does nothing to ich.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
KDahlin is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (43/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan_XE View Post
I would have to agree with lauralee on this one. I would run the tank fallow(fishless) for at least a month. Heck, even some say that would be rushing it, and to be on the safe side, go fishless for at least 6 weeks to be sure that it goes through it's life-cycle and without a fish host to help it reproduce, it would die off. I wouldn't bother moving your plants at all, as ich can live for a brief period of time on wet surfaces you risk spreading the contamination to your other tanks that come in contact with even the slightest amount of water from the infected tank.
I would not place them in your tank with the ottos. Also I've never heard of getting rid of ich by going dark.
Okay if I decided to run the tank fishless. When do I know to pull the fish out to a seperate tank? When the fish no longer have white spot on them?
Tonysok is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
fishscale's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,895
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/ich.shtml

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fishscale is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
KDahlin's Avatar
 
PTrader: (31/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 663
From The Cichlid Forum: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Do not discontinue treatment when the spots go away. This is critical, because we know that they are visible only as a trophont on the body of the host, and not during the reproductive or free-swimming stage. We also know that trophonts on the gills are impossible to see.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
KDahlin is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (70/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,403
I'm a little confused by your last post- where do you want to put the fish you pull out of the current tank? Personally, at this point I'd add salt to the main tank and treat the fish and the substrate to actually kill the ich. I'd treat for a minimum of 2 weeks, and leave them in QT for a minimum of 2 weeks after that.

I'd leave the plants in the bucket with just lights over it to keep them alive- definitely don't stick those plants in the other tank; ich will drop Otos down like flies and Otos are very sensitive to all medications. Personally, I'd either thow the plants out or leave them in QT for the same month the rest of your fish are in QT.

EDIT - dude, double-ninja'd!!

PLUS - read both of those articles





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lauraleellbp is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (43/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'm a little confused by your last post- where do you want to put the fish you pull out of the current tank? Personally, at this point I'd add salt to the main tank and treat the fish and the substrate to actually kill the ich. I'd treat for a minimum of 2 weeks, and leave them in QT for a minimum of 2 weeks after that.

I'd leave the plants in the bucket with just lights over it to keep them alive- definitely don't stick those plants in the other tank; ich will drop Otos down like flies and Otos are very sensitive to all medications. Personally, I'd either thow the plants out or leave them in QT for the same month the rest of your fish are in QT.

EDIT - dude, double-ninja'd!!

PLUS - read both of those articles
I'm confuse myself haha, LeviathanXE mention to run the tank fishless for a 4-6 weeks, but inorder to do that wouldn't I have to eventually move the fish to another place? But I'll probably just go with your route and add salt to the tank leaving the plants in the 5 gallon bucket and hope they stay alive. Thanks again for all your help.
Tonysok is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome