made a stupid mistake - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
made a stupid mistake

so yea today i went to a lfs and bought 2 rummies to add into my existing school, 4 oto's, and 3 juili cories. Went home and drip acclimated them. That was when i made the mistake i only acclimated them for 40 mintues. Once when i put them in i already noticed that the 2 rummies were breathing really heavly and were kinda struglling to swim. I also noticed that one of the cories were missing its barbels. I ended up losing the 2 rummies but everyone else seems very healthy even the cory without its barbels. So yea im kinda mad right now for being so unpatient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Rummies can be very tempermental. 40 mins is a good amount of time for drip acl. Not sure if much more would have helped.

If the otos made it, then your water is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
Rummies are fussy.

I actually acclimate my fish over a period of 3 hours. Every 15-30 minutes I dump a dixi cup of water from the tank into the bag.

I've done this with 14 rummy nose tetras, 8 green flame tetras, 2 pearl gouramis, 5 Corydoras habrosus, 5 ottos, 5 glowlight danios, 2 maccaluchii rainbows, and 2 blue rams, and the only fish I've ever lost was a female pearl gourami, but she died 3 days after she was put in the tank, so I don't count that...lol

65 gallon low tech planted

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Cool! The Cup acclimation method! Hey if it's worked......

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
I just lose track of time and I wouldn't want to over drip the fish and flood my room...haha

65 gallon low tech planted
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

yea or maybe i just bought a bad batch of rummy nose. All the rummies on their tank did not have any red on their heads at all. o yea does anybody think that cory will grow back back its barbels? He acts more like a regular fish now than a cory.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Could be a bad batch. I actually acclimate my rummies for only about 20 minutes or so. Adding a cup of water every 5-7 minutes. I do that for about 3-4 times and pop, in they go.

All my rummies survive Total of 8.

Always pick the rummies with the best red. No red = bad sign.

Shrimp Keeper
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

yea i got my 5 rummies 2 months ago and never lost a single one at the same lfs, but this time its a complete different story
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbguy1 View Post
I just lose track of time and I wouldn't want to over drip the fish and flood my room...haha
I put my fish in a bucket in another bucket. That way, if I forget, the second bucket catches any overflow. It takes so many hours to fill the first bucket, I generally don't have a problem.

Or you could set a timer.

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

• 90g -
                    • 75g -

• 29g -
                   • 8g - Plants only
• 5g - Plants only                • 2.5g -
Retired
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I always use two buckets, because I know I'll forget and it will over flow. One bucket that will hold enough for maybe like an hour of drip, and then a bigger one to catch the overflow.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe the whole acclimation thing is highly over-rated, and odds are there was something wrong with them in the first place.

My #1 objective when I get a fish (especially a shipped fish) - is to get them out of a bag of ammonia. My logic is multi-faceted...

1) Gee, let me slowly get you out of that poisonous water - as slow as possible so I don't "shock" you. (even in a bag a short time, you would be surprised how quickly ammonia can gather - fish excrete ammonia through breathing as well as through their digestive track).

2) Gee, you seem all stressed in that little bitty bag - stay there a while longer and look at all of this freedom you will soon have and all the places you can escape to when you finally get free so you can calm down (As an avid trout fisheman, one thing that kills the most fish in catch-and-release is the huge build-up of stress-related lactic acid the fish builds up in his blood, so the idea is to catch them faster, and let them go sooner - this is also a reason a lot of exporters will "tranqilize" the fish to reduce their stress of being bagged up in their own poisons)

3) Lastly, as an avid fisherman - anyone who's been in Rivers and lakes knows that the temperature and pH in both rivers and lakes vary greatly even within several feet of various places. I've never asked a fish if it "tests" the water differences by sticking in a "fin" into the flow above it to test the pH or temperature - before it decides to move to the next spot...

Now, all of this, of course (especially temp) is within reason - but there's documented literature (by Axelrod, IIRC) of where the Rio Negro flows into the larger tribs of the amazon where both the temp and pH are significantly different and Discus and Tetras freely flow between the two without "testing ala fin".

As I said, my #1 goal is to get the fish out of a small posionous prision (where his stress compounds the poisoning).

That's my story, and I'm sticking too it.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm a big proponent of drip acclimation, but in your case it sounds to me like you got some bad stock.

I'm SUPER picky about my tetras; I won't buy if there's a single fish in the store that is looking sickly- IME (and tetras have remained my favorite fish for more than 20 years) if there's anything in a store to be caught, tetras will manage to get it and you'll have massive losses within the first month.

BUT- If you can get healthy stock, get them acclimated to your tank, and get them past the first month- they're pretty hardy fish.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Maxall
Maybe we have wildly different Rummies (and fish in general, though we do get the same breeds) here in Australia, but the concept of drip-acclimation is wonderfully bizarre to me, and to everyone else I've spoken to about it.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but all I've ever done is added another half-measure (measure being whatever is already in the bag from the lfs) of water from my tank, float the bag in the tank, clamp the tank lid down on the bag edge so the fish don't escape, and let them sit for ten minutes.

I've never had a death from this method, and I've kept fish for quite some time. Is there such a huge difference in water "type" over in the USA? (I'm assuming USA in this case)

I don't mean to sound arrogant, quite the opposite. I'm curious. Everyone I know in the fish "industry" here uses the same method that I do.

If someone could illuminate the subject, I'd appreciate it!
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There can be pretty dramatic differences in the US. Between well water, different municipal treatment plants and programs, coastal versus inland, etc etc our water parameters can really fluctuate a lot.

My own water (I'm on a well) runs pH 7.4ish and kH and gH are off the charts (I stopped counting at 30+ degrees last time I tested) though during the rainy season that often drops some. People on city water here typically have a neutral pH and only moderate hardness.

I always drip acclimate, better safe than sorry.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
huh well i use the same method as you do maxall never lost a single fish due to water shock

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode