Chili Rasbora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chili Rasbora

Hi! I was wondering if any of you have Chili Rasboras in with Celestial Pearl Danios? My local fish store was getting some in, and if they get along ok, I was going to put some in with them! Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've kept them together and they did just fine together. Both species are a touch shy & retiring, at least for the first while, and seem to prefer a well planted environment.
I had mature Chili Rasboras which were 1/2", to barely 3/4", and CPD's which were youngsters about 3/4" to 1".
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
They get along fine, the cpds are extremely shy though. My chilis are not as shy and dont hide as much

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katey View Post
Hi! I was wondering if any of you have Chili Rasboras in with Celestial Pearl Danios? My local fish store was getting some in, and if they get along ok, I was going to put some in with them! Thoughts?
Great question! I've been kicking that same idea around since see CPD at the local high-end fish store. Keeping them in with Chili's would make for a nice nano fish setup.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=In2gRp8Noe4&list=UUbax0iKcE17wp_sUpc59qZA

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to bluelife
They should get along well , ive seen my LFS keep Chili Rasboras & CPD's in the same tank , the CPD's were juveniles though :-)

BlueLife -

28 G Planted
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, thanks guys! If she got them in, and they made it, I am hoping to get five or so to go with my CPDs. They are shy, and I had ember tetras in with them, but the embers get a little bigger, and I was afraid for the baby fish, so I moved them to the seventyfive! Some of them I know will get eaten, but the ones I catch, go into a breeder box! It should be a lot busier with the Chilis in there too! The CPDs love to live under the plants, which makes for an empty looking tank at times! I love them though! So cute!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 PM
gmh
Planted Member

I think the Chili rasboras open swimming habits may encourage the cpds to come out in the open more. At least that's what I observed at a LFS that had both species together in a display tank.
I've kept both, but never together, and I was frustrated at the ultra shy nature of the cpds, but found the borales to be more bold. I would get more than 5 however. How big is this tank?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a ten gallon, with five CPDs. That's it for fish! There are five rabbit snails, and some shrimp! Oh, and I do water changes at least twice a week, and the filter is for a 20 gallon tank!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is my ten gallon. Lots of plants!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010451.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	347962  

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 13 Chili Rasboras in a 10G heavily black-water set up at work (and it still feels a bit empty). They have really fun moments when they are all swimming in the open, but lately the Alpha has been herding them into one of the corners, I think he's trying to get down to business.

With the growing number of Albino Cory Cats I'm afraid the eggs just don't stand a change. Which is why I'll be setting up a tank or just the Cory Cats or just the Chili Rasboras.

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They really must be tinier than the CPOs! I hope she got them in. She watches for fish I'd like to have, and tries to order them in for me, which I appreciate! I will have to see how they did after they arrived on Friday! She is only open Wednesday through Saturday, and won't usually sell them for a couple of days after getting them in, so I should be able to get some if they lived!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, the Chili Rasboras came! I was going to get eight, but she threw in all the rest, because she got them for me, and sold them to me for cost! I love my friends! Anyway, you can hardly tell they are in there, and I was a bit concerned about the CPDs chasing them around, but it seems to be the opposite, lol! They seem to be feisty little buggers! Love, love, LOVE them! So cute, and so very tiny!

Bump: Oh, there are three moth cats in here, but you never ever see them, unless it is right when the lights come on! I forget they are in there, unless I am cleaning the tank or something!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katey View Post
Well, the Chili Rasboras came! I was going to get eight, but she threw in all the rest, because she got them for me, and sold them to me for cost! I love my friends! Anyway, you can hardly tell they are in there, and I was a bit concerned about the CPDs chasing them around, but it seems to be the opposite, lol! They seem to be feisty little buggers! Love, love, LOVE them! So cute, and so very tiny!

Bump: Oh, there are three moth cats in here, but you never ever see them, unless it is right when the lights come on! I forget they are in there, unless I am cleaning the tank or something!
Once the Chilis settle in and get happy their colors really come in.

Right now my Alpha has the group hiding in the corner while he tries to put the moves on the ladies... He is at his brightest red and a sight to behold. The colors in the rest of the group are muted. They just survived being transported to and from a planted tank contest.

I think if I could re-home the Albino Cory Cats, some of the eggs could hack into fry and I could end up with more Chili Rasboras. The Cory Cats are solid clean-up crew, I just think they eggs scattered by the Chilis don't stand a chance.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqe-7Y_JUng

Last edited by King of Hyrule; 07-23-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added video
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Katey, I don't know if anyone has told you, but Chilis need softer, acidic water. Do you know your parameters? CPD's tolerate a broader range of conditions, so what is good for them is not necessarily good for the chilis.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes, I know they like softer water. The tank has big hunks of wood for that reason. I add leaves as well! The CPOs have adapted and are even breeding. Thanks for the info.

Bump: King, love your tank too,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode