Quick Stocking Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick Stocking Question

Hey guys. Quick stocking question. I'm working on resetting up a 46g bowfront for my housemate (we moved and lost all the fish and most of the plants. Bleh). It's going to be heavily planted as the plants develop--java fern, anacharis, anubias, amazon sword, and playing with hygryphilia compacta for the first time so fingers crossed.

As for the stocking question, I am definitely doing a dozen cherry barbs and 3 dwarf catfish or pitbull plecos. Then I was thinking 4 to 6 corys. That's the pretty easy bit. The main one I'm not so sure about revolves around a centerpiece fish. I finally got her nailed down on what she's really interested in, as I'd shown her rams, apistos, gouramis, and kribs and she had been rather meh about all of them. Then she asked about angels. Now, I've never been interested in angelfish myself, so I'm not as confident about a good tank set up for them. From what I've read, a pair of them (or rather a trio of youngsters where one will get culled once they hit adulthood and figure out who gets on with whom) should do all right with the rest of the planned stocking as cherry barbs are mild mannered barbs and cory cats are one of the species that everything I've read says they pair with extremely well, and a 46g bowfront is tall enough and big enough for an adult pair.

Have I got it figured right? Am I forgetting something, or am I right that it should work out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

I actually ran a very similar stocking once my own 46gal many, many years ago. Just my 3 angels happened to be oddballs who all got along great and never spawned (possibly had all one gender) so I was able to keep all 3 and never had to rehome any.

I think a 46gal is a good tank for angels as they're pretty tall.

And there are some REALLY pretty angels on the market these days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Algae Grower

Very pretty angels these days! +1! I never used to be interested in them either, until I started looking. Check out the offerings from the online breeders to get a good sampling of what is out there. I ended up going with what I could afford (not the high orange I wanted, but, still nice calicos). I have a 37g, also a tall tank, so, figured I could go with a pair, too. I bought 6 quarter sized koi juvies figuring I'd then be able to pick the best and re-home the rest. I now have 3 at about half-dollar to silver dollar size and think they may be showing some preliminary pairing behaviors between the largest and the smallest. Anyway, I love how the angels make such an outstanding and personable focus fish in what would otherwise be mostly tiny specs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Planted Aquarium 028 (599x800).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	346410  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

With angels it can be tricky. Depends on what you end up with in terms of gender ratio and individual personalities. Also at the LFS its almost impossible to identify gender. IME the males get aggressive. If you get 3 angels and more than 1 are male and if the tank isnt big enough it could spell trouble. Backup plans required.

After having my current set of angels for a year I am able to somewhat identify the males and females from their behaviour and know who not to put in the same tank.

Anyway its right that there are some very pretty angels available these days. I have 2 magnificent phillipine blue veiltails with red eyes. Really fabulous. Hope you get a nice set of angels for yourself.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@adive--Yup, hence the getting 3 and planning to cull the bully if one shows up. I may get lucky and get mff, or even 3 females, as youngsters, but I'm not counting on it. Knowing me, I'm more likely to get 3 males that don't get along with anyone *sigh*

Ok, cool. She'll be glad to know she can get her angels. Thanks guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode