Treating with Melafix - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've used it in planted tanks to treat applesnails that were injured (from falling out of the tank or getting antenae bitten off) and it did not harm the plants or cause an ammonia spike. Only weird thing was that it made my water foam a little bit.

Also, I've applied it directly to fish wounds. May not cause healing, but definately prevents further deterioration of damaged tissue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
MelFix and PimaFix Do Not negatively affect the beneficial bacteria. I've had that debate before--with a long time wannabe, know-it-all, been everywhere and done everything, Herp and Aquarium Superhero...He lost. And then disappeared...LOL
I believed the same thing but after using Pimafix and Melafix I had bad ammonia spikes and lost over 20 fish and dozens of shrimp. The shrimp were mostly just Ninja shrimp but there were several fire yellow and 10 Black Cocoa Sulawesi shrimp among the victims. When the ammonia first showed I added AmGuard but there was a spike of 3ppm by the time I got up in the morning.

I have two filters on a 55 gallon tank, one Eheim 2217 and a huge Atman. The Eheim runs 2 litres of Matrix while the Atman runs Biogrow media. The Atman had been cleaned a week prior to the problem.

After a large water change with Prime and AmGuard ammonia and nitrites are both well controlled.

I have no actual scientific evidence that the medications caused the problem but on a tank that has run for 2 years with no spikes I can draw my own conclusions from the experience, manufacturer's claims notwithstanding.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode