Giant Bettas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Giant Bettas

I've recently heard about giant bettas being available. What a great idea, I said to myself--all that beauty in a bigger package!

Does anyone know where in the USA I can buy one?

What can anyone tell me about their needs and what sort of other fish, if any, they can be kept with?

Many thanks!

sox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can get them at petco. I'm not a fan of the giant betta. They are bigger but their shape and proportions are off to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree they do look alot different. i believe the care requirements are the same as regular bettas. bettas are agressive toward alot of other fish. i think cories would be ok. A school of tetras could outrun him. watch out for any fin nippers.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I've had REALLY bad luck with these. Got one from Thailand and one from Petco (drunken rescue, cause otherwise I don't buy betta from the torture cups) and they BOTH got dropsy within a few months. Never had a single case of dropsy with any of my other betta.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I see them available from time to time on www.ultimatebettas.com. IDK offhand if there is a reputable breeder in the US working with them or not, though?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I'm also very interested in getting one.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

So are all the half-moon Plakats and other Plakets all coming from Thailand at $100 a fish?! There has to be a reputable breeder near us.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a "king" betta from petco a few months back. He was beautiful and larger than your average sized betta. Unfortunately he got bloated and died about 2 weeks after buying him...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

The "kings" and "giants" aren't the same.

I've heard quite a bit of speculation that these are both actually hybrids with different larger "wild-type" species, though IDK that anyone's actually paid for genetic testing to figure out whether or not that's the case...

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have heard that they are hybrids between Splendens and Raja though that would be impossible since Raja is a mouthbrooder and Splendens is a bubblenester. I have also had people tell me that they are half- giants. On another forum, I heard that someone bred a male & female "king" but all the offspring turned out to be normal sized plakats. No one really seems to know their origin. Either way, this betta was bigger and bulkier than any other plakat I have seen.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

I found very few half moon Plakats in the US on Aquabid. None of them interested me. I will certainly not buy from a Petsmart or a Petco. I guess I will wait. The specimens coming from Thailand are breathtaking!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Sub'd interested
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

It's too bad Erma (DownSouthBettas) isn't breeding any more, she had some nice plakat lines going and was here in Florida. Last plakat I got was from Victoria at BettySplendens.com, but she moved to Europe a few months ago. =(

I haven't looked around recently, but as of last year I know there were some breeders working with plakats up in the Georgia and Alabama area... I think I came across them from the IBC?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex009 View Post
I bought a "king" betta from petco a few months back. He was beautiful and larger than your average sized betta. Unfortunately he got bloated and died about 2 weeks after buying him...
Yep. This happened with both the one I rescued from PetCo and the one I paid $$$ for from Thailand.

In the betta world, "King" is a top of the line crowntail. PetCo is misusing the word for their giants (the PetCo giant I got was about 1/2" larger than the giant I got off aquabid, but I believe they were both half-giants given what I can find online about the breeding and sizes of these fish).

Needless to say, I won't be buying any more of them.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think petco is using the 'raja' term which translates to 'king'.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode