Pea Puffer Quest and questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Pea Puffer Quest and questions

Hi, I have a 5 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank, both planted and cycled. I want to get a betta for one and a pea puffer for the other.
I am on the fence with pea puffers and hope someone out there owns them to answer.
So many people say to just get one, which would mean the 5 gallon.
Others say to get 3, but risk the chance of fighting, babies and needing to get another tank.
I used to have saltwater puffers, didn't mind hand feeding or the extra care involved. It was worth it for their personalities.
I've done a ton of research but also have a hard time taking a vulnerable species from the wild. Is anyone breeding in captivity and selling yet?
All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

I wanted a pea puffer for our 5 and was talked out of it by the guy at AFA here in San Francisco. He said that a pea puffer in a 5 is most likely going to be a glass surfer.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

Im not super experienced with them, but i have kept them before. When i kept them i had a 10 gallon with 3 puffers, and they all got a long great. There wasnít any fighting and everyone got along. Iím not sure if I was just lucky, but i did have 1 male and 2 females. They are now in my community 30 gallon tank, thatís infested with feeder pond snails and they donít bother anyone. They just cruise around eating snails, i havenít seen any fin nipping of aggression at all. Once again i might be lucky, but i did talk with my LFS and they said they keep them in community tanks as well and donít have an issue, so that could be a possible backup option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Im not super experienced with them, but i have kept them before. When i kept them i had a 10 gallon with 3 puffers, and they all got a long great. There wasnít any fighting and everyone got along. Iím not sure if I was just lucky, but i did have 1 male and 2 females. They are now in my community 30 gallon tank, thatís infested with feeder pond snails and they donít bother anyone. They just cruise around eating snails, i havenít seen any fin nipping of aggression at all. Once again i might be lucky, but i did talk with my LFS and they said they keep them in community tanks as well and donít have an issue, so that could be a possible backup option

I've heard the ideal is to buy one male and two females and there won't be aggression. Some people say that even with two males in a 10 gallon it's not a guarantee they will nip. I don't have a LFS who has anything like this so I would have to order online. Did yours ever breed?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

unfortunately i didnít get them to breed :/

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
unfortunately i didnít get them to breed :/

That would be a plus for me, as I don't want to have to set up a breeder tank. No guarantees, right?

PS: does anyone know a source for captive bred pea puffers?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-23-2020 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
pea puffer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode