Betta feeding tips for the “last resort” pet sitter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta feeding tips for the “last resort” pet sitter

Hello! I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what I should do while I’m out of town for a week. My female betta is my newest addition and she’s still a baby. Not baby baby but she’s not quite full grown yet. I feed her twice a day, once in the morning (two betta pellets) and once in the evening (a few freeze dried blood worms). This has been her routine since I brought her home in September.
Unfortunately I am having to leave the house for a week for work and this will be my first time leaving her. The only person I could get to feed her while I’m gone is not my first choice. They need simple instructions and I’m afraid telling them to give her the worms one at a time will be too much for them.
I am planning to tell them to give her 3 pellets in the morning and leave it at that? I figure eating once a day should be fine for a week right? Anybody have any better suggestions for me? Or anyone who has dealt with people who don’t quite understand that the goldfish they got at the fair that one time that died 3 months after doesn’t count as being a properly experienced “fish owner”? Maybe I’m worrying too much haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower

Go the drug store and get one of plastic geezer pill popper trays and put the daily food in each blister.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
...or some of the condiment cups. I always have some on hand. I use them for fertilizer dosing, superworm pupae and occasionally for condiments.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
Go the drug store and get one of plastic geezer pill popper trays and put the daily food in each blister.
That’s super smart, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
...or some of the condiment cups. I always have some on hand. I use them for fertilizer dosing, superworm pupae and occasionally for condiments.

I wish I had some on hand. That would be a good idea for my community tank feeding.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-11-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

pre-filling daily feed amounts works great of course. In this day and age everyone has a smartphone with a camera. If you don't want to fill lots of little cups, put a single feed's amount in a shot glass and take a picture, then text it to them. Just tell them to match the picture. As long as they're close it'll work. If you can't trust them to do that, not sure I'd trust them in my house at all.
This is an extra challenge for smaller tanks with few fish. My tank's big enough when I leave the instructions for my son is "one cube of frozen food a day". I usually have a mix of frozen brine and frozen bloodworms in the blister packs, and one cube is enough, they'll be ok on a diet for a week. I overfeed anyhow. It would be harder for a small tank. My nano is shrimp only so they can get a algae wafer mid-week and be fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
pre-filling daily feed amounts works great of course. In this day and age everyone has a smartphone with a camera. If you don't want to fill lots of little cups, put a single feed's amount in a shot glass and take a picture, then text it to them. Just tell them to match the picture. As long as they're close it'll work. If you can't trust them to do that, not sure I'd trust them in my house at all.
This is an extra challenge for smaller tanks with few fish. My tank's big enough when I leave the instructions for my son is "one cube of frozen food a day". I usually have a mix of frozen brine and frozen bloodworms in the blister packs, and one cube is enough, they'll be ok on a diet for a week. I overfeed anyhow. It would be harder for a small tank. My nano is shrimp only so they can get a algae wafer mid-week and be fine.
Thank you for the tip! I think what I’ll do is the daily med container. I happen to have an extra one of those 🙂 Usually I would have my roommate take care of the tanks while I’m away but unfortunately they recently moved out and are not available. The person that I am having feed is definitely trustworthy but they are inexperienced is all. This will be their first time helping me with my betta tank. They already know the program with my larger community tank and it’s worked out well. So we shall see.
I agree with you that it’s harder with smaller tanks. That’s my main concern. But I think, with the suggestions I got, it will be ok. 🙂
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Go with what Dfarr67 said. You can get one with morning and evening dividers for 2 meals a day. Fill them for the days you'll be gone and put the rest of the food away. I just leave the pill dispenser on top of the tank and it has worked out great. Even if they miss a day they know where they're at because the container is labeled

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode