69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
The only mention of strength on the label is:

"Contains more than 1% of sodium hypochlorite and hence do not use or mix with any other household cleaners or bleaches"

I think that is more of a standard warning about not mixing as opposed to any real indication of actual strength. It certainly doesn't seem weak when I use it to bleach stains from veg chopping boards etc (not that I have much background in bleach strengths to base this upon!). A website selling this product says that it is 6% sodium hypochlorite which seems reasonable.

The problem here in SG is that normal everyday items that you can easily buy in the UK / US are for some reason restricted or otherwise available, and those that are sold don't have the same strict labelling to know what is actually inside. So it's often a case of picking something and trying it with fingers crossed, rather than being able to just buy what you actually want. For example, I have to import 3% food grade h2o2 from Amazon US!

I'll avoid using this bleach next time in case the 'surfactant' is an issue. So what to do with the two 100ml bags of Purigen I've just treated? They have been very well washed (continually rinsing for 2+ weeks now) with no sign of foam or scents, and with lots of water changes. Half of me says they have to be fine by now, but the other reads the above post and asks why take the risk?

Which way to go???

Sorry, I did not read carefully and thought it labeled as weak when it was not! So the question becomes not so much how strong if you use it only on the Purigen and not directly in the tank. The surfactants will be like other contaminants we might find and how long lasting will be the key but very hard to judge without taking risks.
Perhaps a test would prove some value? Have you used it and used the Purigen with the tank with no harm? That would say it was safe.
Is it practical to put some of the "suspect" bleach in a jar or other small tank and run a bubbler or something to move the water while looking for bubbles or film to develop?
One place we often find surfactant is in looking for pure ammonia to use to do a fishless cycle and one way we check quickly for it in the bottle is shaking it as the surfactant will foam when shaken. Perhaps shake your bottle to see how much foam and that means how much surfactant?
One of our problems is that we each have to deal with what we have where we live!
Econde and en7jos like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
For future readers, we should be clear that Seachem instructs what to use to safely regenerate Purigen. If the specific directions are followed, there is no reason to fear. Seachem STATES: “Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach).” In a FAQ post by Seachem, they also warn: “SeachemŽ has tested and developed the PurigenŽ regeneration instructions to be safe and effective when they are followed exactly as published, with no alterations, additions, or subtractions.” Do not use anything but the recommended bleach (this means not using more or less hypochlorite) as the Prime dose is specifically designed to act upon an 8.25% hypochlorite level.

You shouldn’t even use “splashless” bleach when washing your whites, as it does NOT sanitize. Their bottle even says that it does not sanitize. you might even argue that “splashless bleach” should not be called “bleach” at all, but this would limit their sales.

Careless consumers complained about the clothes they were wearing getting bleach spots when bleach splashed on them while they poured it in their clothes washers. So, Clorox supplied the fantasy of providing bleach that wouldn’t splash. To accomplish this, they altered the viscosity by adding surfactant (which also cleans - not sanitizes) and reducing the sodium hypochlorite.

For fishless cycling, just use pure ammonium chloride (it’s cheap). At the high pH levels used for cycling, the ammonium becomes ammonia.
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Love your new signature, @kgalle!
Thanks. They deleted it. lol

Southeast PA

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks @PlantedRich and @Deanna

I was regenerating my 2x Purgien bags as this thread evolved, so I have not put them anywhere near a tank until I am sure I haven't messed up!

I'll do some more investigating of available bleaches here and if the prescribed "regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach" is available then I will bin the Purigen I recently regenerated with the other bleach I mentioned. If I can't get the right bleach, I'll do some testing of the bleach I can get as @PlantedRich suggested.

Much appreciated, thanks guys.
Deanna and kgalle like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 02:39 PM
Algae Grower

Tragedy, sure, but maybe this thread will save more lives than were lost. I've been fish-keeping for decades and this is the first I've ever heard of "splash-less" bleach. I also just started using Purigen, so . . . lesson learned.
varanidguy and kgalle like this.
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Tragedy, sure, but maybe this thread will save more lives than were lost. I've been fish-keeping for decades and this is the first I've ever heard of "splash-less" bleach. I also just started using Purigen, so . . . lesson learned.
The splashless stuff is great...in most applications lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode