69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgalle View Post
I added an additional "new" (refreshed) bag of Purigen

I think we found the culprit. Was the refreshed Purigen rinsed with extreme thoroughness? I mean extreme.
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 40, pH 7.6, temp 80F.

The dead fish are removed. 16 and counting. All of the Cardinals are dead. So far only one Cory has perished, but the survivors do not look happy. The shrimp and snails don't give af.

I've done two, back-to-back 10% water changes and rolled the flow way back on the sponge.

If you have suggestions for how I might help the survivors rebound I'd be grateful. Should I medicate the aquarium? Another 10% change? Feeding?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201109_203427244_1604961356177.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	905069  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201109_203450784_1604961375835.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	4.83 MB
ID:	905071  

Southeast PA
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Quote:
I added an additional "new" (refreshed) bag of Purigen

I think we found the culprit. Was the refreshed Purigen rinsed with extreme thoroughness? I mean extreme.
I took out the Purigen.

Southeast PA

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I took pictures of the expired. I'll share them if you'd like.

Southeast PA
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

The dead fish are removed. 16 and counting. All of the Cardinals are dead. So far only one Cory has perished, but the survivors do not look happy. The shrimp and snails don't give af.

I've done two, back-to-back 10% water changes and rolled the flow way back on the sponge.

If you have suggestions for how I might help the survivors rebound I'd be grateful. Should I medicate the aquarium? Another 10% change? Feeding?
That's definitely "soapy". When you refreshed the Purigen, did you use splashless bleach by chance? Or any other additive? I'd bet money that was the culprit, the refreshed Purigen.

|
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
That's definitely "soapy". When you refreshed the Purigen, did you use splashless bleach by chance? Or any other additive? I'd bet money that was the culprit, the refreshed Purigen.
Ouch! That's yet another thing to watch out for in our tanks and certainly in cleaning for covid reasons!
Splashless bleach is not just plain bleach which we should always be using if we want to sanitize things for the tank. My wife and I are of the group who grew up using bleach for everything and learned what to do to keep it off the clothing, etc. that we did not want bleached but that has left us not even looking for anything better and certainly nothing with added scents or colors.!
That left me totally blind to thinking about a bleach that does not bleach as we know it.
Doing a bit of reading on the net, I find the bottles actually say they do not disinfect, so that means this form of Clorox is doing nothing to clean your countertops and all the things we think have been cleaned of Covid!
varanidguy and evil8 like this.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

I checked the bottle of clorox and it is splashless. Are there any methods of removing this from an aquarium?

Southeast PA
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I checked the bottle of clorox and it is splashless. Are there any methods of removing this from an aquarium?
Bingo! I'm surprised the inverts are shaking it off, honestly. Massive water changes and activated carbon in the filter. Even then it may not be easy going.

|
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Good call.

Splashless bleach contains detergents and can wipe out a tank.

Should really be talked about more often. I am sure it happens to lots of people.

---
---
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Bingo! I'm surprised the inverts are shaking it off, honestly. Massive water changes and activated carbon in the filter. Even then it may not be easy going.
I did about 20 gallons worth of water changes and loaded the HoB with carbon. Now we wait?

Thank goodness for those shrimp. They're having a great time and lifting my spirits a bit.

Thanks for all of your comments and insights. I'll be sure to update in the morning. Fingers crossed!

Southeast PA
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 05:54 AM
Algae Grower

only 20 gallons water change? honestly I'd have done down to the substrate till the fish are almost flopping around. And then do 20 gallons every day for a few days. You know there's a pollutant, the only way to be safe is to remove it and dilute it. Carbon will help but not as fast as water changes, and carbon may or may not actually be pulling all of whatever it is in that bleach. If you lost the bulk of your livestock (sorry!) then you actually don't need to worry quite as much about the cycle. It will take a hit either way though so might as well clean out the water.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
only 20 gallons water change? honestly I'd have done down to the substrate till the fish are almost flopping around. And then do 20 gallons every day for a few days. You know there's a pollutant, the only way to be safe is to remove it and dilute it. Carbon will help but not as fast as water changes, and carbon may or may not actually be pulling all of whatever it is in that bleach. If you lost the bulk of your livestock (sorry!) then you actually don't need to worry quite as much about the cycle. It will take a hit either way though so might as well clean out the water.
I'll begin this process, ASAP. I got a ten gallon aquarium together and put the survivors in there while I try to get this under control.

The shrimp and snails are not seeming to be impacted by this.

Is there any way a to tell that it's cleared out?
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
We're on City water.

I've been doing a 10% water change every weekend for a few months.

I only cleaned the filter housing. All of the media was taken from the existing, failed canister. It was a 3x5ish piece of sponge and a 100ml bag of Purigen. I added an additional "new" (refreshed) bag of Purigen and a sponge on the intake. Aqueon 30?
I assume you use a dechlorinator with each water change. The only thing that can kill fish that fast is chlorine. Chlorine is toxic in very small quantities, on the order of 0.05 ppm chlorine. City water can also have what is called Super (Shock) Chlorination. Assuming all other water parameters are OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_chlorination

If the city ever did a 'super chlorination' they will not tell anyone. The chlorine will be gone in a day or so. You have to have a test kit for this.

Just something to think about as a lot of folks have lost their entire tank to this. That's why it is recommended when adding your de chlorination that 2 times the amount be added just in case this ever happens. Folks don't realize this as it happens fast and the chlorine is gone.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
I assume you use a dechlorinator with each water change. The only thing that can kill fish that fast is chlorine. Chlorine is toxic in very small quantities, on the order of 0.05 ppm chlorine. City water can also have what is called Super (Shock) Chlorination. Assuming all other water parameters are OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_chlorination

If the city ever did a 'super chlorination' they will not tell anyone. The chlorine will be gone in a day or so. You have to have a test kit for this.

Just something to think about as a lot of folks have lost their entire tank to this. That's why it is recommended when adding your de chlorination that 2 times the amount be added just in case this ever happens. Folks don't realize this as it happens fast and the chlorine is gone.
I use water conditioners at each water change and have been using a double dose for a few years, now.

Thanks for you input. I really appreciate everyone's help.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

Just going to chime in and say 10% water changes could be 30%-60% if you're confident in your water prep process.
Get up to tank temperature and dechlorinated.
I've changed 75% of the water at a time when dealing with an emergency without any problems.
But typically I'll do 50% a few days in a row to get things back to normal.

I don't see any reason to double dose dechlorinators. Following the label is usually the best idea as a safety factor is already built in.
What product do you use?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode