• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By Flow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
125 setup

Hello everyone,
I would consider myself a fishkeeping beginner although I have experience with goldfish, Bettas, and guppies a while ago. I'm thinking of setting up a 125 planted community and hopefully this wouldn't be too much of a step up. How would this stocklist look?
I'll likely keep the ph at 7 and use an eheim 2229 for filtration

Stocking will be
4 koi angels
3 ctenopoma
3 pearl gouramis
2 bolivian rams
10 bosemani rainbowfish
3 albino bristlenose Plecos

Any issues with this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Because you are asking for opinions I will give you mine- I dont care for the above mix of African, South American, and South-East Asian species.
Its a hodgepodge of a mix of fish from different continents that have differing care requirements and aggression levels.

The ctenopoma are shy-- but, predators. I would put them in a tank with other fish of similar size that are endemic to Africa. Such as: Congo tetras ( instead of Rainbows), synodontis catfish species ( instead of plecos), and medium sized cichlids like Hemichromis ( instead of Angels).

If you wanted to go the South American route I would do the Angels, bristlenose, Bolivian Rams, and a larger deep bodied tetra like a diamond tetra or Bleeding-heart tetra.
Quagulator and frogger17 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewelli View Post
Hello everyone,
I would consider myself a fishkeeping beginner although I have experience with goldfish, Bettas, and guppies a while ago. I'm thinking of setting up a 125 planted community and hopefully this wouldn't be too much of a step up. How would this stocklist look?
I'll likely keep the ph at 7 and use an eheim 2229 for filtration

Stocking will be
4 koi angels
3 ctenopoma
3 pearl gouramis
2 bolivian rams
10 bosemani rainbowfish
3 albino bristlenose Plecos

Any issues with this setup?
Are you going from zero tanks to a 125 gallon tank? Unless there is some overriding reason you may wish to step up a bit slower with a 40 gallon or similar. Additionally the eheim 2229 is listed to pump 270 gallons per hour. Canister filter makers are all liars and their filters never pump what they say. Their measurements are the filter empty and measured right at the canister filter output, not up the tube and into a tank. Generally recommended filtration for a planted tank is 4 to 8 times turnover per hour. This means the eheim 2229 is woefully underpowered for a 125 gallon tank. A 125 gallon tank is an expensive proposition as well because assuming you want plants it will cost a lot to fill it with plants, a lot for the light needed to keep them alive, and a lot for the fish needed to make it not look empty. /shrug just my 2 cents but I would either advise going with a smaller tank first with thoughts of upgrading later or consider upgrading the filter and expect to open the wallet to get everything else you need/want.
frogger17 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't have much experience with the stocking you listed out, but I would agree with @Discusluv on the recommendations.

I also agree with @minorhero regarding the filter. That Eheim filter won't be enough on it's own. You can likely house all the bacteria needed for the tank in the filter so long as you keep it clean with regular cleanings, but you'll want some more flow in the tank via some nano power heads / nano water circulation pumps / wave makers. Plants do not enjoy dead spots.

I disagree with the recommendation to go with a smaller tank. If you want a 125 then definitely go for it! It doesn't need to cost a lot of money - Blasting sand or pool filter sand for substrate, Beamswork / Nicrew / Sunblaster / Odyssea lighting, gently used filters or pumps, DIY stand, free give-away plants on local classifieds or simply go with fast growing plants like sag / vals etc. to get the tank established quick.

One question however, how are you planning on keeping the pH at 7? It's much easier to work with your tapwater parameters on a larger tank than fight it with buffers / additives.

What are your tapwater parameters after you've left some out in a glass for 24 hours?
Discusluv and Flow like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:40 AM
Algae Grower

between the 2.5gal, 10gal, 55gal, and 120 gal planted tanks I have/had: the 120 has been the easiest to take care of. But also 2nd most expensive (I had a 60gal reef too). If you are patient, a big tank will fill out. You can start it low tech and have a wonderful tank quite easily. The most expensive part of a big tank (beside the tank/stand cost) is if you want lots of hardscape stuff. Rocks and sticks can be pricey.
But yea, your filter choice is probably no good if you will have that many fish. I run a Aquatop Forza FZ13 ("rated" 550gph) to a spray bar on my 120 and had to add a powerhead. Turnover is fine I guess but it's too deep so had dead spots. I'm in the process of switching over to a sump (tank was already drilled) so I can run a bigger return pump. And for a big tank, unless you have a RO unit in your house, do not even worry about pH. Test your tap, and pick plants/fish that will work there. You'd be surprised what can be done. You will pull your hair out chasing a pH level with that much water. We have crazy hard/high pH water here and even with CO2 on I can barely keep my water below 8.0, and my plants don't seem to care. Fish though, it's debatable. I have a slowly dwindling school of cardinal tetras, but they are all 2-3 years old at least (I inherited them with the tank over a year ago, bought used). I don't replace them though since I think it's just not right for them. I may gut my hardscape and ditch the stem plants to accommodate shellies once the cardinals are gone.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

Frankly, I envy you going for the 125 gallon. I have a 90 and regret not going bigger. I believe I'd be content with a six-foot tank with 24" height and front-to-back depth, so 180 gallons. Yeah, right!

If you can afford it and have the room (and are vigilant about learning as much as possible, i.e., love doing this)--go for it! Bigger tanks are more forgiving because water parameter stability--which I believe is the most important factor in successful aquarium-keeping--is greater.

I run two Eheim 2217s on my 90, along with a cheap surface skimmer. 10%-20% weekly water changes, and everything looks and measures great. I use 30ppi Poret foam in my canisters, along with Eheim's ceramic macaroni, whatever it's called. For a 125, I'd probably go for two 2262s with a mixture of 10-30 ppi Poret foam. Expensive, but I think it's worth it in the long haul. Initial cost for a big tank is high, but after that, it's just paying for public utilities and occasional maintenance/consumables costs. Water changes will be the biggest "cost" in time and effort. I use R/O and CO2 injection, so maintaining desirable water parameters is easy for me.

Apologies in advance for being patronizing if you already know better.
Quagulator likes this.

Tags
angelfish, rainbowfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode