minnow mouth stuck open- - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By JJ09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
minnow mouth stuck open-

I had fed them crushed pellets and the littlest one- he's a third smaller than the others- ate too big a bite. Now his mouth has been stuck open since last night.

I thought it would soften but now don't know if that will happen. I'm afraid to try and remove it with tweezers- he's so small, not even an inch, how can I do that without damaging the fish.

It's one of my four-month-old fry. There's more pictures of his condition in my 33L journal.

Edit add: Actually, now that I think back, this fish was hiding under plants after I had sorted them to decide which I was re-homing, and put these back in. I though it was just stressed, didn't notice the mouth issue until after I fed them later. Maybe he damaged his mouth when I netted him? If that's the case I really don't think I can do anything for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 10-10-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: interjected a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hm well, I got another close look at the minnow just now. The tan color that was blocking his mouth is gone, I can definitely see down his throat now- but mouth still open. I did see him flex his jaw a bit, but he can't close it. So I think he managed to swallow the food, but the jaw is dislocated?

Still leery to try nudging it back in place- I'd probably do worse damage. Any thoughts?

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 10-10-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 10:45 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Is he eating? If not, couldn't hurt to manually try to manipulate it back into place, worst case you'd speed up the inevitable. How did you determine that the fish took big a bite? I've never known that to happen in many decades of fish-keeping, but things surprise me all the time.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I saw it swimming around with the food piece half-in, half-out of its mouth. Then later saw it with the mouth stuck open, looked like color of the pellets in the open mouth. I think I'll wait and see how it is tomorrow. I see it going for food, but it doesn't seem to be taking any in.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The smallest minnow is better! Jaw shut like normal, maybe just a little ajar hard to tell. Eats fine, dashes around so quickly in fact it was hard to get a good look at him. Mouth looks a little red and is probably sore, but I think he's going to be okay!

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode