Fish Won't Stay Alive - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I saw where you said you might have Tahitian Moon sand but I don't see anywhere in the thread where it's been identified as the problem. There's a history of Tahitian Moonsand poisoning tanks. If that's what your substrate is the problems you're having are just like others have had with Tahitian Moonsand a few years ago. There's all kinds of comments in the Amazon reviews and there have been threads here about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I saw where you said you might have Tahitian Moon sand but I don't see anywhere in the thread where it's been identified as the problem. There's a history of Tahitian Moonsand poisoning tanks. If that's what your substrate is the problems you're having are just like others have had with Tahitian Moonsand a few years ago. There's all kinds of comments in the Amazon reviews and there have been threads here about it.
I had that substrate in my previous tank.. and all of my fish also kept dying. Slowly. There could be a connection there.
Discusluv likes this.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Bingo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 08:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Looks like people are saying there is metal contamination in the Tahitian moon sand which would explain the higher than expected TDS. It also has 4x the number of one star reviews on Amazon (compared to any other Caribsea substrate) and most are saying it poisoned their fish. This seems like a definite possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Once the OP completes the experiment utilizing the QT, it should show whether or not there is something wrong with the tank water and, if so, sounds like the Tahitian Moon Sand may be the culprit.

@Scutler: in the meantime, you may want to fill a glass with RO or distilled water, add a few drops of lemon juice, and measure TDS. Then put some Tahitian Moon Sand (or whatever the black sand is) in the glass, stir now and then, and take a TDS reading in a few days to see if there is a change. Believe it or not, you could also dry some out and, if it has metals in it, a magnet will grab it.

Interesting that Caribsea seems to no longer have Tahitian Moon Sand listed as a product on their website.

Last edited by Deanna; 09-30-2020 at 11:19 PM. Reason: add
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Once the OP completes the experiment utilizing the QT, it should show whether or not there is something wrong with the tank water and, if so, sounds like the Tahitian Moon Sand may be the culprit.

@Scutler: in the meantime, you may want to fill a glass with RO or distilled water, add a few drops of lemon juice, and measure TDS. Then put some Tahitian Moon Sand (or whatever the black sand is) in the glass, stir now and then, and take a TDS reading in a few days to see if there is a change. Believe it or not, you could also dry some out and, if it has metals in it, a magnet will grab it.

Interesting that Caribsea seems to no longer have Tahitian Moon Sand listed as a product on their website.
Yes, they no longer make this product due to this issue. It has been discontinued.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
OP, All of the evidence points to poisoning of some kind. A cycled 90g with adequate biological filtration is actually pretty easy to maintain. I would expect you to have fish spawning regularly, not slowly dying.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@butchblack I can’t think of anything I used to clean the tank when I first set it up as it was a brand new tank. The only decorations I had in there were a few pieces of dragon stone at some point which I believe I took out at one point to clean in a 1:10 bleach to water solution which was then rinsed with water, but these stones have been removed from the tank for over 6 months and the tank water has been fully changed twice since then (when I restarted the tank). I have a Fluval FX6 with a custom spray bar on it so I get really good circulation, it was too good at one point so I needed the spray bar to take it down a notch. I am not running any CO2 since it’s a low tech tank with low to moderate light. There is no smell coming from the tank. Don’t worry about the questions because I know they’re necessary to get to the bottom of this issue.

@SueD Yea I was kind of thinking the same thing about the temp. For the QT tank I was going to go without a substrate to keep cleaning easier as suggested by some others in previous posts. Yea I could add some new anubias or floating species to help with nitrogen build up. I have some water hyacinth in my pond that I could clean and move into the QT tank if you think that’s a good idea, I know they’re very effective at keeping nitrogen low and water clean.

@Squidhead The driftwood is Manzanita Driftwood. This driftwood was only added when I restarted the tank a few months ago but I was having problems before that so I don’t think the issue lies there. I also love the MTS lol.

@Kubla @Blackheart A few previous posts suggested the issue could lie here, but the plan was to see how fish do in a QT tank without the substrate first then how they do once move over. Changing the substrate is sure to be a pain so I wanted to narrow down my problems to the tank and not something with my tap, but my guess is that its most likely the substrate.

@Deanna I’ll try that with the RO water and sand, out of curiosity what is the lemon juice for? Not familiar with using it.

The only thing that remained constant throughout all of my tank "resets" is the substrate and considering so many others have had this issue it's looking like this is most likely my problem.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 08:18 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I wish you luck and am sorry that you'll have to go through the PITA of a full substrate change. Hopefully once behind you, you can enjoy the hobby the way it's supposed to be. FWIW, I think Caribsea will mail you another substrate free if you contact them and let them know you got a tainted batch.
Discusluv and ElleDee like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutler View Post
@Deanna I’ll try that with the RO water and sand, out of curiosity what is the lemon juice for? Not familiar with using it.
The lemon juice ensures that the water is acidic. This will help to dissolve the samples ...if they are going to dissolve, which is what you are trying to determine.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
The lemon juice ensures that the water is acidic. This will help to dissolve the samples ...if they are going to dissolve, which is what you are trying to determine.
Which complements my advice on why to low ph and kh when breeding, but i was totally attacked

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorusaconte View Post
Which complements my advice on why to low ph and kh when breeding, but i was totally attacked

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I looked through this thread, but couldn't see anything that referenced what you mentioned. Is there a question about KH and pH?
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutler View Post
@butchblack

@SueD Yea I was kind of thinking the same thing about the temp. For the QT tank I was going to go without a substrate to keep cleaning easier as suggested by some others in previous posts. Yea I could add some new anubias or floating species to help with nitrogen build up. I have some water hyacinth in my pond that I could clean and move into the QT tank if you think that’s a good idea, I know they’re very effective at keeping nitrogen low and water clean.

The only thing that remained constant throughout all of my tank "resets" is the substrate and considering so many others have had this issue it's looking like this is most likely my problem.
I'd try new annubias, java fern or floaters, rather than something from your pond. You just want to make sure you've limited any factor other than substrate and don't want to bring anything in from the pond. But I don't have any experience with ponds, so use your judgement here. If you can really clean those plants, that might work. I'm just glad my night of insomnia may get you to a healthy community tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode