Schooling fish to share a 180g with rainbows? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brilliant rasboras swim in the upper water column. Unlike most tetra that shoal, they are true, tight schooler and not nippy. Unlike Danio, they are calm schooler and donít rush.

Another upper water column swimmers are molly and swordtails, but they only shoal and males can be rushy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6A2F46BC-97B6-46E5-A1A6-1CC2B4FD4B2A.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	902879  

billb and trailsnale like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Hi Discusluv - thank you for those suggestions! I am not familiar with any of them but look forward to researching them later today. The rainbows are peaceful but, as you suggest, can be quite rambunctious at feeding time!

Tiger15 - Another choice I am not familiar with! Every one is giving me thoughtful and well considered suggestions. Really appreciate this!
Discusluv likes this.

[
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I recently picked up 35 Hengeli Rasbora. They are not shy at all and stay together well.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

I've seen it mentioned twice now but I'm gonna also have to chime in with Black Neons. I just picked up some for my tank and they are strong swimmers for a tetra and definitely prefer the upper middle region of the tank. They would be able to snipe food easily enough to feed themselves. I think a big school of them would look phenomenal in there. Black with the iridescent white strip and the red eye on them would definitely accent the rainbows nicely.
robmcd likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can also look at silver tip tetras - nice color, active, but can be a little aggressive with each other. Need a large school.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

I like to keep my fish from the same general part of the world. I'd go with some sort of rasbora or barbs rather than tetras.
robmcd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
You can also look at silver tip tetras - nice color, active, but can be a little aggressive with each other. Need a large school.
I had them for a while. They are aggressive to not just one another, but also picked on the more peaceful rummynose. Because my school is small, they ended up killing one another.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

Rummy nose tetra's are one of my favorite schooling fish.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 06:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBR View Post
What a beautiful tank! Congrats.

A school of Glowlight Danios would look great there.

My first thought, because I have a school of pinks and oranges, and they like the top 5-6 inches of the tank, although they've also been known to make excursions deep into Where the Plecos Dwell. I'd like to have 5 or 6 more but the community seems just right, for now.

Can't say if they're jumpers though, my 65 gallon is covered.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I had them for a while. They are aggressive to not just one another, but also picked on the more peaceful rummynose. Because my school is small, they ended up killing one another.
That's unfortunate to hear. I had 8 of them in a 40B with 8 diamond tetras and 7 candy cane/Bentosi tetras and a bunch of cories. Mine didn't really seem to go after any of the fish except each other. The diamond tetras were pretty frenzied at feeding time, the Candy Cane a little less so, but otherwise rather peaceful.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I like to keep my fish from the same general part of the world. I'd go with some sort of rasbora or barbs rather than tetras.
I'm glad that I'm not alone in that thinking, except I prefer the other side of the globe for my stock. Rainbows, barbs, and gouramis are awesome but I can't get myself to keep them. I just added 5 Amano shrimp to my 30G cube and I felt like a vegetarian about to eat a double cheeseburger with bacon.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
I would love to get some advice on selecting a school of fish for my 180 gallon tank. Ideally something that will spend most of its time in the upper half of the tank. The current residents, M. praecox rainbows, spend most of their time in the bottom half.

Here are some details that might influence the choices:
1) The tank is a 180 gallon 4ft long by 3 ft wide by 2ft tall
2) RODI with a TDS of 90 Ė 100
3) CO2 injected during the day pH is 6.75 at night and 5.5 during the day
4) EI dosing with 60% weekly water change
5) Tank has been set up for two years and pretty stable. Partially re-scaped about 4 weeks ago.
6) Lights are fairly bright and currently there are no floating plants
7) The tank is set up in a peninsula configuration with returns and gyre power heads directing flow across the top of the tank and returning across the bottom. This would be uncomfortable for species that need calm water
8) The rainbows get rowdy at feeding time. The new guys need to be able to get their share.
9) Temperature is 74 to 75 Fahrenheit

As mentioned the tank currently has 13 M praecox (10 of which are female so not a lot of color), 6 otos and 7 Sterba cories. I would like to find something that schools pretty well and is colorful. Hatchets would be cool but this is an open top tank and jumpers would be a problem.

What do you think?

Here are a few photos

The tank

Here you can see the pretty empty top half

The fish. These guys spend much of the day fairly close together facing into the current

The two big rainbows are hybrids(?)

Thank you!
Is it me or does the ph sound awfully low, especially for rainbow fish?
Greggz likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Is it me or does the ph sound awfully low, especially for rainbow fish?
Rainbows in general are not very sensitive to pH levels.

In my tank, degassed pH is 6.40 and is driven down to 4.95 with CO2. And I know quite a few people with similar parameters.

Bows are healthy and long lived.

---
---
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 07:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcd View Post
I'm glad that I'm not alone in that thinking, except I prefer the other side of the globe for my stock. Rainbows, barbs, and gouramis are awesome but I can't get myself to keep them. I just added 5 Amano shrimp to my 30G cube and I felt like a vegetarian about to eat a double cheeseburger with bacon.
I am not that into SE Asian fish. I prefer South American and African tetras for the most part. But with Rainbowfish I would probably keep some sort of barbs or Rasboras.
robmcd likes this.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I started my 25g tank with 9 Silver Tips. They have been very aggressive. They do not hurt each other but chase and bully a lot.

I will be migrating to a 72g tank in a month or so and will use the occasion to donate the fish back to my LFS.

This is a good thread as I am also looking for a large school of peaceful Tetras or Rasboras.

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode