Mycobacteriosis outbreak Rainbowfish - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Mycobacteriosis outbreak Rainbowfish

Hi! I’ve been keeping RainbowFish for about four years. I got them all from a very reputable breeder. They were varied (his leftover breeders from the previous year), adult, and lovely.

About two years in, my fish started to develop a disease of some kind. I treated the whole tank with a general fungus med (can’t remember the name now) and some of the totally recovered, but especially the Boesemani males developed what at first looked like a few missing scales, then open sores, and then almost tumors.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture. And recently, I tore down the whole tank, rinsed ALL the black blasting sand, put it back in the tank, and put my remaining fish in, only to get an ich breakout. ������ Lost 7 fish.

This was then followed by a huge algae bloom. But now, in the crystal clear water thanks to a UV sterilizer (which I’m still running) I seem to see the telltale missing scales on one side of my remaining Boesmani male.

Not too recently, someone posted pictures that looked a lot like my poor sick fish of yore when their disease was at its height. I think it was Gary Lange who came on and said it was Tuberculosis, and to cull immediately.

SO: my questions today were these: IF it’s Tuberculosis, where did it come from and where does it lodge itself? Is it genetic? Passed fish to fish? Resident in the water column? Carried by germs in the plants (all new, from other vendors, except one crypt that was in there for awhile, but I took out a month ago)?

I got a response on a FB group devoted to Rainbows to read a 24- page long, technical, but very informative article on mycobacterium and the show seemed to fit, and also presented a hopeless scenario. https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Myc...Fn2YpYmxknbnCw

Here’s what I posted after reading it: “SO. I read the whole thing. VERY helpful... in some ways. I understand the scope of the infectious bacteria and I think my Boesemani have had (and my last one does have) it. Now. Am I to understand that 1) myco is ubiquitous in hobby aquaria and 2) because I have this infected rainbowfish I need to euthanize him and all other fish I have and “start clean” — which means, since the germ is on my plants, my filters, and my sand, as well as on aquarium surfaces, that I must dispose of all plants and treat the tank with chlorine chemicals (that have proven largely ineffective...) and then start over with “clean” stock—except about 20%-30% of all stock worldwide fish traded are already infected? Help. If this is the only answer, I’ll just take the tank down and be done with fish keeping, I guess.“

There was silence for about 2 hours. Then a helpful member offered this: “ Hi Marcia, don't give up, please read the link to Diana Walstad's experience on Mycobacteriosis: https://dianawalstad.com/2017/04/27/...aquarium-fish/

If you’ve read this far, my question is this: what, if anything, can you offer as either corroboration for the “shut it down” approach, or the UV approach? Looking for those who have actually wrestled with this disease and can offer at least anecdotal wisdom. TIA!

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia

Last edited by Tanks!; 09-10-2020 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Re-did Walstad link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 02:52 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow, just wow. Thought for sure once you had the UV going and clear water your problems would be behind you. I did not read the entire 24 page technical, but I got the point. I could not link up with the Walstad article, but hopefully it offers some positives.

Honestly, I have little to no advice to offer - only an electronic shoulder / screen.
Greggz and Tanks! like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Wow, just wow. Thought for sure once you had the UV going and clear water your problems would be behind you. I did not read the entire 24 page technical, but I got the point. I could not link up with the Walstad article, but hopefully it offers some positives.

Honestly, I have little to no advice to offer - only an electronic shoulder / screen.
Me, too. Itís SUPER discouraging. I was up in the night sorrowing. I feel sad for the poor fish I have to kill today. I feel sad that one of the beauties in my life seems now to be beyond repair and must be given up entirely.

At this moment, I am not planning to kill the otherwise healthy fish in my tank. I just donít see the point. Iíve canceled my order with IT. And, Iím not going to buy more fish, and will probably convert to a crypt tank that doesnít require me to have my hands in it much for maintenance. Iíll leave the UV I have running, I guess. Eventually, Iíll probably just take it down. Iíll have to junk all the filters, etc., but I can resell the lights and some of the equipment, like the stand and tank itself (which can be sterilized). After 50+ years of fish keeping, this is a sad way to end.

Linn: Your sympathy and support mean a lot. THANKS for being there.
Greggz and IKeepShrimp like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 01:39 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not a problem - happy to help where I can.
I understand having to put one of them down - probably for the best.

I think your plan to keep the other healthy fish is a good plan (just my opinion). Your idea of a lower maintenance tank is sound for this situation. As for the remaining fish - why not give them a chance. Life finds a way.

If I could suggest, see who has some Anubias Nana available. Tough plant, slow growing and attaches to wood very well. I started out with a dozen or so leaves from Phil Edwards. A couple years later it's now in the wifes tank (probably 30-40 leaves) and my tank (100+ leaves). A couple different crypts would be a nice addition as well. Not sure of the growth rate of your plant on the far left but I do like the bright green color. Another good, low maintenance plant would be Hygrophila Corymbosa Compacta - I have some in all 3 of my tanks. In my low tech 20g tank I could probably go 4 months+ without ever touching it. Just let it grow.

As for the filters, etc I am a little surprised that bleach or strong peroxide would not resolve the issue. Those products seem to be capable of killing just about anything organic/living.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very sorry to see you going through this.

I can offer my thoughts, but keep in mind this is just my opinion.

It seems just about every time someone posts a pic of a sick Rainbow, it's immediately identified as TB. The truth is there is no way to know for sure without a thorough examination.

Here's the thing. Sometimes fish die. It happens. Maybe they are genetically weak, have weakened immune system, or who knows what.

I've had a few fish die of similar looking illness over the years. Bow gets a lesion, gets worse, then passes away. Meanwhile the rest of the tank is healthy and very long lived. It happens.

If it were me, I would not cull the remaining fish. Give it some time and see where things go. You may find the remaining are just fine and in time it will be a distant memory.

I will say this. It may not be popular, but I have always erred on the side of euthanizing early rather than later. I've kept Bows for almost 4 decades, and know a sick fish that will not recover when I see it. I look at it as the fish is not going to make it, and it is for the greater good of the tank to remove it sooner rather than later.

And with the percentages that they say have TB, surely my tank would have had it at some time. But I have never torn down a tank because of illness.

Again, just my thoughts based on my experience.

On a side note, I know what it is like to lose a bunch of fish to ich. I went through an episode not that long ago (details in my journal) and it was really painful. Lost some long lived beautiful Bows. It stinks. But now I am growing out some new species I wanted to get at some point, and now it's a blip in journey of the tank.
Immortal1 likes this.

---
---
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting challenge. I couldn't open the Diana Walstad link, but is this the article: https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles...-disease213231 ?

In the article, she claims to have eradicated it with a UVS. Too bad that she was chased away a couple of years ago. Is your UVS a "Level One" UVS?
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Interesting challenge. I couldn't open the Diana Walstad link, but is this the article: https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles...-disease213231 ?

In the article, she claims to have eradicated it with a UVS. Too bad that she was chased away a couple of years ago. Is your UVS a "Level One" UVS?
That was a real shame (Walstad being chased away). People can't keep their egos in check and ruined a great opportunity for everyone.

@OP: I've recently had some random, inexplicable rainbow die-offs. It's very frustrating. One of my favorite male parkinsoni and a Gary Lange lineage male praecox were among the casualties. But with these, there was little-to-no outside signs of illness. The parkinsoni just dying out of nowhere when it was swimming and acting fine a moment before its demise, and the praecox started breathing heavily and died 20 minutes later. No missing scales, lesions, or anything of the sort.

I really wish we had better answers for you.
Deanna likes this.

|
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with @Greggz statement that mycobacterium is often the first thing that people call when they see skin lesions. But, there are far more common (non-chronic) bacterial diseases of the aquarium that are most likely the culprit. The most common being aeromonas, pseudonomas, and flexibacter columnaris ( of which there are 4 types).

Your description of "tumors" is curious. This is not typical of symptoms on effected fish. There are nodules noticeable on liver, kidneys, spleen on examination of inner organs after death-- but, not on body of fish. Tumors on fish are more associated with lymphocistis which is a viral disease. Young, healthy fish can survive this viral disease; but, stressed, genetically weak or older fish will often die from the secondary conditions they catch from the disease lowering their immunity. Again, a virus that doesnt kill directly, but lowers immunity to the more common diseases that are found in the aquarium. Lymphocystis would be consistent with your treating fish for external symptoms and seeing a recovery from what looked like fungus on body. Most likely what you treated with was nitrofurazone or doxycycline which are the two active ingredients found in many LFS. Lymphocystis is a viral infection, it is not a disease that the fish recovers from completely, but it with them throughout their lifetime( even when fish non-symptomatic)..

Bump:
Quote:

UV sterilizers are the single best way to keep pathogens in check.
Greggz, Tanks!, Immortal1 and 2 others like this.

Amy
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Agree, if I'm setting up a tank with some really nice fish I don't know why you wouldn't use a UV from the getgo.
Tanks! and Deanna like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 05:20 PM
Planted Member

What's the consensus here, once you get it in the tank there's no escaping? Or more that it'll arbitrarily spread between fish that potentially hurt their scales etc?

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Not a problem - happy to help where I can.
I understand having to put one of them down - probably for the best.
Yup; my amazingly wonderful husband did the deed this AM. The fish was swimming around and seemed just fine, but I’ve seen how this disease progresses and I felt sure he’d end up dead while infecting the tank further. Glad I didn’t have to do it, nonetheless.

Quote:
I think your plan to keep the other healthy fish is a good plan (just my opinion). Your idea of a lower maintenance tank is sound for this situation. As for the remaining fish - why not give them a chance. Life finds a way.
That’s my husband’s suggestion for now. The question is... for how long before I add ANY new fish? Weeks? Months? Years? I like @Greggz comments... just don’t want to be stupid or unable to face the music, if indeed that’s the tune that’s playing.

Quote:
If I could suggest, see who has some Anubias Nana available. Tough plant, slow growing and attaches to wood very well. I started out with a dozen or so leaves from Phil Edwards. A couple years later it's now in the wifes tank (probably 30-40 leaves) and my tank (100+ leaves). A couple different crypts would be a nice addition as well. Not sure of the growth rate of your plant on the far left but I do like the bright green color. Another good, low maintenance plant would be Hygrophila Corymbosa Compacta - I have some in all 3 of my tanks. In my low tech 20g tank I could probably go 4 months+ without ever touching it. Just let it grow.
If I switch to crypts and anubias nana (which I also love) I’m going to need to considerably lower my light strength! Might not even need my T5s at all. That’s not BAD, it’s just... different. Would I keep needing to inject CO2 in that case?

Quote:
As for the filters, etc I am a little surprised that bleach or strong peroxide would not resolve the issue. Those products seem to be capable of killing just about anything organic/living.
If you read Walsted’s article (here’s the full link: https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles...-disease213231) you’ll see that Myco is bioshielded and therefore REALLY REALLY hard to kill. Also, as Walsted points out, bleaching, etc. and general sterilizing procedures commonly recommended might be making room for NTM (non-tuberculous myrobacteria). IF you believe Walsted. Which Gary Lange does not. Hard to know whom to believe. This article is actually a shortened form of her longer, better documented, and more technical version here: https://dianawalstad.files.wordpress.../mb__2017c.pdf.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I agree with @Greggz statement that mycobacterium is often the first thing that people call when they see skin lesions. But, there are far more common (non-chronic) bacterial diseases of the aquarium that are most likely the culprit. The most common being aeromonas, pseudonomas, and flexibacter columnaris (of which there are 4 types).
I would LOVE for that to be the right answer! BUT: Since you can’t tell what it is, is it responsible to bring in new fish and “see what happens”? This is the issue for me right now. You are right that I don’t KNOW it’s TB, but I also don’t know it’s not. There is also the added risk of human infection. I’m not generally a germaphobe AT ALL, but it is (or, I guess, could be) a thing and I need to consider risks/rewards.

Quote:
Your description of "tumors" is curious. This is not typical of symptoms on effected fish. There are nodules noticeable on liver, kidneys, spleen on examination of inner organs after death-- but, not on body of fish. Tumors on fish are more associated with lymphocistis which is a viral disease. Young, healthy fish can survive this viral disease; but, stressed, genetically weak or older fish will often die from the secondary conditions they catch from the disease lowering their immunity. Again, a virus that doesnt kill directly, but lowers immunity to the more common diseases that are found in the aquarium. Lymphocystis would be consistent with your treating fish for external symptoms and seeing a recovery from what looked like fungus on body. Most likely what you treated with was nitrofurazone or doxycycline which are the two active ingredients found in many LFS. Lymphocystis is a viral infection, it is not a disease that the fish recovers from completely, but it with them throughout their lifetime( even when fish non-symptomatic).

So... “tumors” might have been the wrong term. They were places where, first scales were missing, some on the side of the body, and then on some, on their mouths. They looked, swam, ate, etc. fine. For months. But over time, these places on their bodies developed raw, red flesh... I think they would better have been termed “lesions.” I did not know whom to ask, so I didn’t ask anyone... probably stupid of me. This was AFTER I had treated for what was obviously a tank wide, fungal/bacterial infection brought on my poor husbandry in a very busy season of my life. I had an adult, emerald rainbowfish who made a full recovery from that tank-wide episode. The two Boesemani males who got the ulcerated flesh developed them afterwards. I suppose it could be that their immunities were lowered from the tank-wide episode, and I could further postulate that the fish I just euthanized was weakened by the ich battle and algae bloom that I just went through. I’m not sure. Best I can do, not being an expert in any way.

I love my UV sterilizer. It’s an in-tank one, not expensive, and is running a 13 w bulb rated for 150 gallons. Mine is a 120 tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
That was a real shame (Walstad being chased away). People can't keep their egos in check and ruined a great opportunity for everyone.

@OP: I've recently had some random, inexplicable rainbow die-offs. It's very frustrating. One of my favorite male parkinsoni and a Gary Lange lineage male praecox were among the casualties. But with these, there was little-to-no outside signs of illness. The parkinsoni just dying out of nowhere when it was swimming and acting fine a moment before its demise, and the praecox started breathing heavily and died 20 minutes later. No missing scales, lesions, or anything of the sort.

I really wish we had better answers for you.
Thanks. I have long wondered about the story of Walsted being chased away... I don’t know any details. My first planted tank was a Walstad tank (journal is on this forum) but it wasn’t very rewarding long term, for me, because low tech = kind of boring plants.

I know fish die. My issue is whether my tank is terminally infected, as the article on the FB Group Rainbowfish Live that I linked above suggests, or whether I can reasonably take a chance and buy some new rainbowfish and soldier on.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

Last edited by Tanks!; 09-10-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Misplaced antecedent
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
What's the consensus here, once you get it in the tank there's no escaping? Or more that it'll arbitrarily spread between fish that potentially hurt their scales etc?
The former. Hereís what some say is the definitive work, but others are chiming in to say that (at least anecdotally) UV sterilizers made a real difference for good.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Myc...jnmiqcS6nSoBCw

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Thatís an excerpt. Iíve re-linked above in comments and in the OP to her full article.

Quote:
Whatís a ďLevel OneĒ UVS? Iím sold on them, and if I decide to continue, I plan to put a BOSS one plumbed in. Right now, itís an inexpensive 13 w with pump that cleared all my green algae in 4 days and has given me crystal clear water, so itís doing something right!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
So... “tumors” might have been the wrong term. They were places where, first scales were missing, some on the side of the body, and then on some, on their mouths. They looked, swam, ate, etc. fine. For months. But over time, these places on their bodies developed raw, red flesh... I think they would better have been termed “lesions.” I did not know whom to ask, so I didn’t ask anyone... probably stupid of me. This was AFTER I had treated for what was obviously a tank wide, fungal/bacterial infection brought on my poor husbandry in a very busy season of my life. I had an adult, emerald rainbowfish who made a full recovery from that tank-wide episode. The two Boesemani males who got the ulcerated flesh developed them afterwards. I suppose it could be that their immunities were lowered from the tank-wide episode, and I could further postulate that the fish I just euthanized was weakened by the ich battle and algae bloom that I just went through. I’m not sure. Best I can do, not being an expert in any way.

I love my UV sterilizer. It’s an in-tank one, not expensive, and is running a 13 w bulb rated for 150 gallons. Mine is a 120 tank.

Mycobacteria can persist in aquarium for 2 years. Longer, of course, if you reintroduce the same or another strain. There are more than 1 strain out there as Walstad's article makes clear. Ive had tanks running for 30 years and Ive seen a lot of bacterial infections- not one didn't respond to antibiotics in the aggregate. I lost fish, but not all my fish.

If you want a definitive answer, I know people who have got a fish tested ( a recent death or a sacrifice fish) through a University extension or a local vet. We have a fish science department at UC Davis who test hobbyist's fish for various diseases. There are vets that would do the same. Sounds like you are looking for answers and that will not be definitively found through social media.
ElleDee likes this.

Amy
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Thanks. I have long wondered about the story of Walsted being chased away... I donít know any details.
IMO, the Walsted episode had blame to go around. Diana came on and made some statements that if not downright wrong, were clearly debatable. Then she started advertising her book in the thread (post since deleted), which I personally found distasteful.

I thought the thread started off pretty civil, but at some point got off the rails. I never did see the real fireworks, as by the time I checked back in the thread was locked and many posts were deleted.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think she was chased away. It seemed to me that she had little interest in hearing opposing theories. And let's face it, there are many theories in her book that are dated and have been challenged by many well known folks in the hobby. A healthy debate would have been interesting, but it was not to be. Again, just my perspective.

Here is the old thread....with many posts deleted.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11253683

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode