Mycobacteriosis outbreak Rainbowfish - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Discusluv: I just found the medication I used on the fungal outbreak two year ago:

APIís PimaFix. It did save many of my tank fish; no one (including the filter) suffered any lasting harm, but the Boesemani males did begin to develop their ulcerations after this episode.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Whatís a ďLevel OneĒ UVS? Iím sold on them, and if I decide to continue, I plan to put a BOSS one plumbed in. Right now, itís an inexpensive 13 w with pump that cleared all my green algae in 4 days and has given me crystal clear water, so itís doing something right!
Your current UVS is one that the pathogens laugh at and are probably enjoying getting a good tan as they pass through.

It is important to get a high-end one, not the cheapies that will just clear-up green water. Itís the difference between a ďclarifierĒ and a sterilizer. The Ďkillí capability is a combination of microwatt seconds per square centimeter, temperature and flow. You want a sterilization capability with as high a dwell time as you can find. Specifications to focus upon are microwatt seconds per square centimeter (ĶW/cm2 in spec sheets) and dwell time (gph). Basically, a high ĶW/cm2 unit will allow higher flow rates for a given kill capability. As one article puts it: Lamp Value = UV Lamp Length + UV-C Output + Useful Lamp Life, but expect to pay ~$150 for these types of true sterilizers.

Here is an article (just the first I ran into on Google) that gives the detail:
https://www.octopusstudios.com/aquar...zer-aquariums/

Low-pressure bulbs (more expensive) sterilize more than higher pressure bulbs. If a UVS is not designed to handle the temp of a low-pressure bulb, and you try to force-fit one into it, the UVS will fail (such as melting). In fact, I donít need a heater because the UVS keeps my 29 gal tank at a steady 76 degrees. The UVS I have is a TMC Vecton V2 series.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
IMO, the Walsted episode had blame to go around. Diana came on and made some statements that if not downright wrong, were clearly debatable. Then she started advertising her book in the thread (post since deleted), which I personally found distasteful.

I thought the thread started off pretty civil, but at some point got off the rails. I never did see the real fireworks, as by the time I checked back in the thread was locked and many posts were deleted.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think she was chased away. It seemed to me that she had little interest in hearing opposing theories. And let's face it, there are many theories in her book that are dated and have been challenged by many well known folks in the hobby. A healthy debate would have been interesting, but it was not to be. Again, just my perspective.

Here is the old thread....with many posts deleted.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11253683
I guess we have a different perspective on it. I interpreted her comments as referencing her book, but not as a sales pitch. I did disagree with some of her comments, but I do remember a number of posts that were well out-of-hand and surprisingly insulting. We could argue that, maybe, she had thin skin, but it did get beyond simply challenging her statements. There were a lot of deleted posts in that thread.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
IMO, the Walsted episode had blame to go around. Diana came on and made some statements that if not downright wrong, were clearly debatable. Then she started advertising her book in the thread (post since deleted), which I personally found distasteful.

I thought the thread started off pretty civil, but at some point got off the rails. I never did see the real fireworks, as by the time I checked back in the thread was locked and many posts were deleted.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think she was chased away. It seemed to me that she had little interest in hearing opposing theories. And let's face it, there are many theories in her book that are dated and have been challenged by many well known folks in the hobby. A healthy debate would have been interesting, but it was not to be. Again, just my perspective.

Here is the old thread....with many posts deleted.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11253683

How do you know the full story if you came late when posts had been deleted and the thread locked?

Your opinion is noted, but if you only saw half the conversation how do you know that she wasnt concidering opposing theories?

Walstad's theories continue to be popular and generate a lot of interest up to the current day. Her book is very popular. She is a scientist that continues to engage in her field.

Do you have anything to say to commend her achievements at all?

Why was promoting her book distasteful? I dont find that distasteful in the least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I guess we have a different perspective on it. I interpreted her comments as referencing her book, but not as a sales pitch. I did disagree with some of her comments, but I do remember a number of posts that were well out-of-hand and surprisingly insulting. We could argue that, maybe, she had thin skin, but it did get beyond simply challenging her statements. There were a lot of deleted posts in that thread.
She did more than referenced her book, she made a pitch for it and provided a link to purchase it. The post was deleted.

But I agree with everything else you said. She was a bit thin skinned, and some want beyond challenging her statements.

And don't get me wrong, I respect her position in the hobby. But I also respect others who are equally as knowledgeable. I thought it was a great opportunity to pick her brain and have some good debate. Too bad was not to be.

But my main point is that I have heard this comment before that she was chased away. I did not find that to be the case. I was there. She was dishing it out pretty well as she was receiving it. Like I said, there was blame to go around.
germanblueramlover and Deanna like this.

---
---
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
@Discusluv: I just found the medication I used on the fungal outbreak two year ago:

API’s PimaFix. It did save many of my tank fish; no one (including the filter) suffered any lasting harm, but the Boesemani males did begin to develop their ulcerations after this episode.
Im very surprised that Pimafix had any affect on the outbreak being that it is an antimicrobial and not an antibiotic. In other words, it can help (slightly) to keep an area free of bacteria, but cannot stop the increase of a bacterial infection that is already present.

Interesting.

Bump:
Quote:
She did more than referenced her book, she made a pitch for it and provided a link to purchase it. The post was deleted.

But I agree with everything else you said. She was a bit thin skinned, and some want beyond challenging her statements.

And don't get me wrong, I respect her position in the hobby. But I also respect others who are equally as knowledgeable. I thought it was a great opportunity to pick her brain and have some good debate. Too bad was not to be.

But my main point is that I have heard this comment before that she was chased away. I did not find that to be the case. I was there. She was dishing it out pretty well as she was receiving it. Like I said, there was blame to go around.
Wasnt there some members that got put on probation because of their behavior in this incident? Someone were blameworthy.

Amy
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
How do you know the full story if you came late when posts had been deleted and the thread locked?

Your opinion is noted, but if you only saw half the conversation how do you know that she wasnt concidering opposing theories?

Walstad's theories continue to be popular and generate a lot of interest up to the current day. Her book is very popular. She is a scientist that continues to engage in her field.

Do you have anything to say to commend her achievements at all?

Why was promoting her book distasteful? I dont find that distasteful in the least.
You are correct, I don't know the full story, as I didn't see the fireworks that sent it off the rails.

But I was there early on, and IMO she was not interested in hearing opposing theories. I get it, she is well respected in the hobby and was probably not used to being challenged, but I have to say she reacted badly to it. The fact is many well known people in the hobby dismiss some of her theories, and they are certainly open for debate.

As to peddling a book in a thread where someone is asking for help.....well, yes, I find that distasteful. This is a community that freely shares their common knowledge for the benefit of the hobby. You have someone posting seeking help, and the answer is go buy my book. I can't imagine any of the other well known folks in the hobby who stop in here from time to time ever doing anything like that.

But again, just my opinion as to what I observed during the episode. I am sure others disagree and have a different view.
Asteroid likes this.

---
---
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Im very surprised that Pimafix had any affect on the outbreak being that it is an antimicrobial and not an antibiotic. In other words, it can help (slightly) to keep an area free of bacteria, but cannot stop the increase of a bacterial infection that is already present.

Interesting.
Maybe I had fungus? Itís been awhile and I was on my own. I think I read descriptions of what I was seeing, and chose it. And it seemed to work...

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:

Marcia
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am sure others disagree and have a different view.
Oh yes, they do. A very different view.

Amy
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Wasnt there some members that got put on probation because of their behavior in this incident? Someone were blameworthy.
Yep, I believe that to be true.

Really too bad it all went down like that, as an open discussion with her would have been very engaging.
varanidguy likes this.

---
---
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yep, I believe that to be true.

Really too bad it all went down like that, as an open discussion with her would have been very engaging.
No, its the rules. You cannot harass other members-- period. If the discussion would have been open there would have been no need for mods to not only intervene, but give probation.

Amy
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think this hobby is big enough for all methods to be heard from Amano to Walstad and every method in between. One think I noticed is that DW wanted nothing to do with the other methods, she definitely had tunnel vision for here own and seemed like she wouldn't accept that people can run a tank in a different way. She made many erroneous statements concerning high-tech, which I guess isn't that surprising since she stated that she never set one up. Either way no one had the right to be abusive to her and a healthy debate would have been really interesting. I noticed my posts are still in the thread as I tried to stay factual.

If you want to engage with her in a forum type setting I"m pretty sure she's a mod at APC.
Greggz and germanblueramlover like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
No, its the rules. You cannot harass other members-- period. If the discussion would have been open there would have been no need for mods to not only intervene, but give probation.
I hope you are not referring to me, as I did not harass her, and have never been on probation on this board ever.......and have been involved in some pretty heated discussions here over the years.

How about you?

---
---
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I hope you are not referring to me, as I did not harass her, and have never been on probation on this board ever.......and have been involved in some pretty heated discussions here over the years.

How about you?
Nope. Not referring to you.

My question/comments are directly related to your insistence that she was not run off by harassment. She was- and members that were "blameworthy" were given what they deserved.

Me? Heated discussions, yes. That's different than what she had to endure.
Greggz likes this.

Amy
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I think this hobby is big enough for all methods to be heard from Amano to Walstad and every method in between. One think I noticed is that DW wanted nothing to do with the other methods, she definitely had tunnel vision for here own and seemed like she wouldn't accept that people can run a tank in a different way. She made many erroneous statements concerning high-tech, which I guess isn't that surprising since she stated that she never set one up. Either way no one had the right to be abusive to her and a healthy debate would have been really interesting. I noticed my posts are still in the thread as I tried to stay factual.

If you want to engage with her in a forum type setting I"m pretty sure she's a mod at APC.

Im so happy she has a home where she is treated with the respect that she so deserves.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode